What dictates what weapon you get issued?

ruddy 'ell we'll have someone reminiscing over the brown bess next

maninblack

LE
Book Reviewer
PassingBells said:
It's always the smallest person who gets to carry the gimpy.
When I was 17 and 3 stone wet through I was No 2 on a long range gpmg recce team deployed to Germany.

At the age of 40+ and built like a Mongolian camel I find myself issued with a clipboard but I haver to buy my own pencil.

My advice is that you should spend a few years getting used to carrying heavy objects that others fire and apprecite.

The 84 is still in use but a tad lighter now.

The Multi-Role Anti-Armor Anti-Personnel Weapon System (MAAWS) consists of the M3 Carl Gustaf Recoilless Rifle and a family of 84mm ammunition. Originally fielded to the US Rangers in 1990, the program has grown to include NAVY Seals. The M3 Rifle weighs approximately 25 pounds and is 42 inches in length.

The Lord Flasheart
I take it, it was Hobsons choice?
Correct, remember being given it and being put in a stay behind position, with orders to leg it as fast as possible after engaging enemy, which i did, then being told to go back to stay behind position and collect the damn thing.

scarletto said:
The Lord Flasheart
I take it, it was Hobsons choice?
Correct, remember being given it and being put in a stay behind position, with orders to leg it as fast as possible after engaging enemy, which i did, then being told to go back to stay behind position and collect the damn thing.
Quality!

Well i had an SMG as my Personal as well as a Charlie G to look after. I may as well of thrown stones at the Enemy then poked them with the handle of my mess tin.

Ah, the venerable Charlie G, we've actually still got it here in DK.

I remember one course a few years back when my number two jacked after the first three days. It was great, I got to carry the weapon, plus the ammunition, and accessory cases.

I could hardly close my bergan, never mind anything else!

It annoys me the minimi is now the Lmg .Old enough to remeber the other lmg .The us special forces get a lightwieght 84mm think its fibre glass
or carbon fibre .Guess that makes even mere stabs tougher than the spams. lol.

woody said:
It annoys me the minimi is now the Lmg .Old enough to remeber the other lmg .The us special forces get a lightwieght 84mm think its fibre glass
or carbon fibre .Guess that makes even mere stabs tougher than the spams. lol.
Do you mean the single use AT-4? It fires an 84mm projectile too, and only weighs about 5 kg.

We've got them too, and they're a damn sight nicer to carry than the Charlie G!

dingerr said:
ruddy 'ell we'll have someone reminiscing over the brown bess next
Didn't she work behind the bar in the Catterick NAAFI?

Zega said:
Not meaning to be ignorant but what is a gimpy?
Suggest you try the S&M/ Fetish websites for that one.

No the m3 its 8.5kg compared to the 14kg of the 84mm.Has a variety
of rounds for it .HE ,ILUM ,smoke,etc

any good infantry soldier worth his weight, would get themselves an SMG
as a personal weopon, the APWT was easier as well.

anyone who wants to carry a gimmpy is either mad or on some form of white powder, usually Glitto.

taggytwo said:
any good infantry soldier worth his weight, would get themselves an SMG
as a personal weopon, the APWT was easier as well.

anyone who wants to carry a gimmpy is either mad or on some form of white powder, usually Glitto.
Bollocks, smg is useless unless at waterpistol range. Loved the gimpy, and I'm only 5ft 12.5 cms, gimpy has an effect on people that heineken certainly doesn't. Only drawback is that you can't fit a bayonet.
I have never been on any form of powder so you must be referring to the piece of paper the nice doctor gave me.

Referee! I was a Gimp-wallah in my young day!

I remember at my first District SAAM, chuffed to be representing the Bn in the GPMG Match. Fired my first serial at 600m, made safe then targets up/targets down and away I went, legs pumping like billy-o.

About 20m on I realised I'd given the carrying handle a bit of a wrench when I grabbed it and was off down range with only a barrel.

Recovered the main body and set off to the 500m, making ready just in time to miss the exposure. So make safe and targets up again, off I go pounding down to 400m breathing out my arrse and sweat pouring into my eyes.

Make ready, aim - weapon firing, weapon stops. On looking inside the weapon, I realised I'd stood on the trailing end of my ammo belt at the 500m point, snapping it off and leaving me only half a dozen rounds on the gun.

I must be the only person who was more effective with the thing at 600 than at 100. Loved it, though.

Anyway, to answer the question, in my mob it was given to the biggest lad in the section, unless someone else had seriously p*ssed the full-screw off.