Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What demographic are we looking to recruit?

I've noted something about the recent propaganda from the MoD etc. Now, being a ruler-writing dullard I assume that the ads portray the kind of people the Reserves are looking to recruit.

Dunno why, but I get the feeling that a certain kind of person is being portrayed quite a bit so I wonder if thats who the Grown Ups are trying to recruit? Have a look at this lot, and see if you can see what I mean...

10442394_1516675651887290_8503819241755745699_n.jpg
45156720.jpg
45156668.jpg
5711914-large.jpg

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
What the Army wants to recruit and what ticks the necessary boxes for a Public Sector advertising campaign are two entirely separate matters - I hope....

Waldorfmuppet

Old-Salt
Not nessessaraly. I bring the most attractive girls in the unit to all the recruiting events I can.

It works. They attract a lot more young blokes to come over than me on my own!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Join the reserves and spend your weekends with fit part-time totty too!

Better than the reality of a bunch of pot bellied, whinging blokes in the bar.....

18-24, pre-trained vocational tradesmen.
That's what they want.

What they get is usually err....a bit different.

gorby

Swinger
Talking with no knowledge and experience whatsoever, but from the other end of the telescope, ie someone who has relatively recently been recruited and trained etc, I humbly submit that they should target people in my demographic - around 30, graduates, professionals, used to blindly following orders at work/home, annoyed we missed the boat 10 years ago, delighted it's not actually too late, knowing precisely how much time we can commit for the next 12 years - unlike an 18-24 year old - as our lives are that dull. There must be many, many thousands of us, sitting on sofas up and down the land. Offer us the chance to wear a uniform for the first time in our 30s and yet not be called a Walt and we'll do whatever you ask!

I expect the higher echelons of the Army to change policy based on this post forthwith.

They will, to exclude you and your ilk. You are now part of a very special (needs) organisation that is common sense adverse..........

Talking with no knowledge and experience whatsoever, but from the other end of the telescope, ie someone who has relatively recently been recruited and trained etc, I humbly submit that they should target people in my demographic - around 30, graduates, professionals, used to blindly following orders at work/home, annoyed we missed the boat 10 years ago, delighted it's not actually too late, knowing precisely how much time we can commit for the next 12 years - unlike an 18-24 year old - as our lives are that dull. There must be many, many thousands of us, sitting on sofas up and down the land. Offer us the chance to wear a uniform for the first time in our 30s and yet not be called a Walt and we'll do whatever you ask!

I expect the higher echelons of the Army to change policy based on this post forthwith.

Gorby, I like you, thank you for "perestroika". How do you feel about losing the Cold War?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Anything with a pulse the way things are at the moment..........

excellent have they dropped the two arms and two legs criteria then?

they should take the contract away from capita and give it to atos.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer

the older recruit or those going around again tend to be the only ones who stick it out from what I've heard

excellent have they dropped the two arms and two legs criteria then?

they should take the contract away from capita and give it to atos.

Always a stumbling block to recruiting IMO, we've been too picky for too long. OK, stumpy will struggle with a WHT and might even lose out to the RLC on a run, but he'd make a cracking wheel chock.........

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
the germans defended the normandy beachhead rather well considering most were suffering from stomach conditions and other ailments.

now we are officially a defense force we could adopt that model for when the EU gets uppity and goes for once last try.

I reckon the ones we want for frontline duty are those nearing pension age, saves a bit of cash in the long run.

I'm more than happy with the current advertising campaign. Knocking one out over copies of Soldier in the old days was just weird.

Also, I've just liked a stacker1 post. Water wasn't hot enough to eliminate the shame.