What country is the main threat to the UK?

What country is the main threat to the UK?

• Russia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Iran

• N.Korea

• China

• USA

• The UK (its politicians)

• Another country (comment)

• The UK has not enemies

• Total voters
Our friend Nehustan on another thread reffered to this article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/5403074.stm

The UK underestimates the threat to its future security posed by Russia, shadow defence secretary Liam Fox has warned.

He said Iran and Russia pose the most serious "potential threats to our interests".
Do you agree with mr.Fox?

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Insofar as the UK's (and the rest of Europe's) future energy supplies are tied up in both countries, and that one is a nuclear power and the other has aspirations so to be.

I don't see the Red Army waltzing across the Fulda Gap anytime soon.

Iran on the other hand is a different kettle of fish. They have aspirations to be a regional, if not world, power. They are led by men who do not see the world as we do. They arrived late at the nuclear power ball, and look as if they'll throw their teddy in the corner if we don't let them join the dance. Still, they aren't the DPRK - now there's a scary nation.

Vanuatu,
the god dam Presbyterian Melanesian Nitwits!

And I hear that Kazakhstan has been flexing her muscles lately.

There is no 'country' that is a direct threat, presently.

We're at war with regions or clearer still, ideologies. When those competing ideologies no longer found succour within nation states they are left to mount irregular attacks. (Notice I didn't mention the M word).

If we don't want the US as an ally God help us and attacks on the US are foolish at best and give support to those nations who harbour petty jealousies. Nevertheless, they're a dangerous ally when you've Rumsfeld shaping defence policy, a man who is unable to take advice, is non-strategic, and has dragged us into conflict by shambolic planning.

Colin Powell for President!!!!

North London...and pikeys too of course. However we are still battling them down here. I am considering building a permanent camp=site for gypsies. I've bought some German government surplus plans to build it from...plenty of showers and it ought to be nice and warm in winter with all those furnaces...

Cuddles said:
North London...and pikeys too of course. However we are still battling them down here. I am considering building a permanent camp=site for gypsies. I've bought some German government surplus plans to build it from...plenty of showers and it ought to be nice and warm in winter with all those furnaces...
I'd say South London!

French............hate them. Always have, always will.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
BoomShackerLacker said:
There is no 'country' that is a direct threat, presently.

We're at war with regions or clearer still, ideologies. When those competing ideologies no longer found succour within nation states they are left to mount irregular attacks. (Notice I didn't mention the M word).

If we don't want the US as an ally God help us and attacks on the US are foolish at best and give support to those nations who harbour petty jealousies. Nevertheless, they're a dangerous ally when you've Rumsfeld shaping defence policy, a man who is unable to take advice, is non-strategic, and has dragged us into conflict by shambolic planning.

Colin Powell for President!!!!
Ahh the jealousy card. I think that in the scheme of things there are people with verifiable grievances. Personally I think that the UK is lucky that these people seem to be prepared to accept our role in history was a product of the time, of tensions, and dynamics. It seems we managed our descent well enough, thus standing so close to the US with their post WWI stance (tho one might even date it at the turn of the last century i.e. 1900) is unwise, if not plain foolhardy....

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Redshaggydog said:
French............hate them. Always have, always will.
DAMN (beat me to it)

Sergei, you may not be aware of the quite genuine ancestral antipathy for the French that simmers just below the surface in England at least.

I can guarantee that if you had listed FRANCE as one of the options it would have been the overwhelming winner. :-D

I'm sure President Putin will be charmed to learn that the professional estimate of Russian capability is that we would have notice of even a snap decision to attack UK. (which may be overly optimistic by now)

According to the Broken Biscuit Company this morning your late comrades in Georgia have a bit more to worry about from the Bear reawakened than we do.....

Le Chevre