• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

What could he expect

#1
Hi

I have a mate who is still serving (well at the moment) who could be in a bit of a pickle. Over the weekend he was involved in an RTA. He lost control of the van coming down a hill, flipped it on its side and hit another car oncoming only for a car behind him to smack in behind as well. He came away with not a scratch as did the others involved.

As I said the van is write off. Now here is the problem. The Van belongs to his unit and he was using it for his own use without asking, He said he authorised it himself and had been doing so for a few weeks now. He has had to come clean to the weekend as he has no excuse for being where he was other then he lives there and its over a 80 miles from his unit.

What could he expect?

Thanks
 
#2
A bill for a van and a criminal conviction for theft.

Did he pay for the fuel or use the POL point?

Proffing and lalgs and freebies are all well and good until it goes pearshaped, then you have to have the balls to put it right.

Unless he takes the MTO a life time supply of Stella......... worked for a certain Army Air corps Lance jack in 1992 when he bent a Landrover on his home street, no work ticket etc :D
 
#3
No he is not that well connected :D He is a JNCO in the MT world so he thought he could blag it, said he has a work ticket but just no excuse for using it where and when he did. what would be the action taken be. i.e. investigation, Charge or just bummed to death
 
#5
I did something similar to MDN in 1993, was supposed tohave gone from Otterburn to Catterick and put Rove into a Lampost 40miles from its end location at the future Mrs S_S house. I was a MT JNCO at the time but had a good MTO, cost me a mountain of guiness and a lot of duty drivers for the next few months.

Depends on how far your mans unit want to take it. If he is a good lad, no previous form etc.. could be as little as AGAI 67 (more likely major than minor). If he fiddled the POL and there is a full investigation he could have a considerable pile of poo to deal with!!
 
#7
Bust and fined I'd imagine, maybe even damages.

The rich tapestry of serving. Take it like a man, crack on and have a good story to tell in the future.

What's the worse they can do? Make you join the Army and go to War? ;)
 

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
#8
Aunty Stella said:
Bust and fined I'd imagine, maybe even damages.

The rich tapestry of serving. Take it like a man, crack on and have a good story to tell in the future.

What's the worse they can do? Make you join the Army and go to War? ;)
Well, if "they" were being really imaginitive;

Charges of -

Theft (for the fuel and lubes)
Misconduct in a Public Office
Driving Without Due care and Attention.

Time for a short holiday in Sunny Essex, and then back on the streets.

But it will probably depend on how imaginitive they want to be.
 
#10
Law Link

As well of theft of fuel, unauthorised journey (That could be seen as duplicitous), Driving whilst unisured.

As someone else said here, it depends on his 'old man', but even he might find it difficult to 'write off' a van, especially in the current climate.

The MOD could deny liability for the damage to the other vehicles (But owing to a potential publicity stink, probably wouldn't), if they did he, the driver could be liable for the cost of damage to the other vehicles too.
 
#11
If the vehicle in question is White Fleet then surely it belongs to VT Land, not the MOD. In which case the chances of an 'on side' MTO being able to square things away are minimal. Unfortunately, the days of being able to square things away with a phone call to a friendly MT/REME bloke offering a quantity of yellow handbags are long gone. It's all official now.

Berlin
 
#13
nottyash said:
Law Link

As well of theft of fuel, unauthorised journey (That could be seen as duplicitous), Driving whilst unisured.

As someone else said here, it depends on his 'old man', but even he might find it difficult to 'write off' a van, especially in the current climate.

The MOD could deny liability for the damage to the other vehicles (But owing to a potential publicity stink, probably wouldn't), if they did he, the driver could be liable for the cost of damage to the other vehicles too.
Oh and I forgot to add that if the CPS deal with this and there is a conviction, you may have to say bye to your licence. If the individuals trade is driving, standby for additional AGAI or administrative action.
 
#14
nottyash said:
nottyash said:
Law Link

As well of theft of fuel, unauthorised journey (That could be seen as duplicitous), Driving whilst unisured.

As someone else said here, it depends on his 'old man', but even he might find it difficult to 'write off' a van, especially in the current climate.

The MOD could deny liability for the damage to the other vehicles (But owing to a potential publicity stink, probably wouldn't), if they did he, the driver could be liable for the cost of damage to the other vehicles too.

Oh and I forgot to add that if the CPS deal with this and there is a conviction, you may have to say bye to your licence. If the individuals trade is driving, standby for additional AGAI or administrative action.
Notty, doesn't matter what his trade is, any civil conviction should have the service test applied and admin action as necessary. Having deat with 2 cases taking of hire vehicles and theft of Lubricants, it is the theft of the fuel that seems to make the blood boil hotter!! If he is a persistent offender, worst case scenario is AF B130A and goodbye!! don't want to panick the lad though :D
 
#16
Sick_Smoggy said:
nottyash said:
nottyash said:
Law Link

As well of theft of fuel, unauthorised journey (That could be seen as duplicitous), Driving whilst unisured.

As someone else said here, it depends on his 'old man', but even he might find it difficult to 'write off' a van, especially in the current climate.

The MOD could deny liability for the damage to the other vehicles (But owing to a potential publicity stink, probably wouldn't), if they did he, the driver could be liable for the cost of damage to the other vehicles too.

Oh and I forgot to add that if the CPS deal with this and there is a conviction, you may have to say bye to your licence. If the individuals trade is driving, standby for additional AGAI or administrative action.
Notty, doesn't matter what his trade is, any civil conviction should have the service test applied and admin action as necessary. Having deat with 2 cases taking of hire vehicles and theft of Lubricants, it is the theft of the fuel that seems to make the blood boil hotter!! If he is a persistent offender, worst case scenario is AF B130A and goodbye!! don't want to panick the lad though :D
Regretfully, whilst I am fairly current with the law, having been 'out' not in the Gay sense of the word - for a little while, I am a little distant on the realities on the ground in green. I stand corrected.
 
#17
Your mate will probably expect a severe ass raping. Highly likely to not involve lube, but will include a PFT run up, and very unlikely to involve a cuddle afterwards....

All is not lost however.... providing he has the vehicle on his FMT600.... then he wont get reamed for that too.

It all depends now on his unit and trade.... he is likely to be bust and posted out of MT, and anyother punishments that come his way. Almost certainly will end up paying towards the damage.

If there is no where for him to go career wise that could also involve SNLR. Transfer to another capbadge might be a bit of closed door now also.
 
#19
Best option is stick your hands in the air and admit you f.ucked up, if you try blag any aspect of it they will ream the f.uck out of you worse than they had planned.
 

Latest Threads