What cost infantry?

Cuts to defence have been going on for years/decades/centuries!
True, but if I understand correctly, public spending is higher now than at any other time short of all out war. The purse is not bottomless and something's got to give.

The strains on the economy caused by Brexit
certainly not by Brexit. Those costs were there either way. Besides there was always the savings the costs of drawdown from BAOR. Moreover we can't even guarantee a 100,000 man for force let alone an 80,000 one, we're simply not recruiting and the pool is getting smaller. Bearing in mind the cost of a Buckshee was 17/6 a day plus bed board and uniform in '68- I don't think 48 grand is that prohibitive.

To put it into perspective, a member of Parliament now costs on average £158,000 per annum to the taxpayer..... LINK
Thankfully we only have three battalions, based in London, Edinburgh and somewhere in Wales.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
and then divided by the number of population he is is there to defend, theres you value for money figure.
In which case as it stands HMG is getting a fcuking bargain, as each member of the army (working off 75,000 of us serving regular at the mo) is defending roughly 866 member of the public (working off roughly 65,000,000 as the population of the UK) so imho HMG is defo getting a massive deal, even if you Chuck in the RN and RAF it still pans out to roughly 500 odd population per 1 HMF.

If only the army had been involved in covid 19 eh?

I think it is a lot more than that.
Ex REME btw.
They are available to aid the civil powers, they tend to be less criminally minded (something I read about 25 years ago), they are more socially responsible.
And all that before we start on their actual role.
Me prejudiced, never.
What's up mate?

Difficult to tell. Who are they evaluating it? If it’s simply by wage that figure is probably an average across the board.

At an educated guess I would say it was taking a person through all training to be a qualified Infanteer. It’s the kind of thing they like figures for. Back in ‘92 teh average cost of training an AT class 2 was circa £250k (rumour has it). We had to sign a 3 year return of service on completion of the basic AT course.

Only 3?
We bleeps had to sign for 6, minimum.

Dread

LE
The Army is about to be reduced to an official strength of 65,000, with a trained and fit-for-role number of around 55,000.

Current actual strength is around 68,000 with around 5,000 of that unable to deploy (medical or compassionate reasons).

From the replacement for AS90 documents, the Army appears to think it only needs 2 AS90 regiments, so I can see the Gunner ORBAT becoming:
2 SP155mm (currently 3)
3 Light gun (currently 4)
1 Air defence (currently 2)
1 ISTAR (currently 3)
1 MLRS (currently spread around the 3 AS90 regiments)
1 Training regiment (currently 1)

I suspect each surviving regiment will get a battery from one of the axed regiments, reducing the current total of 13 regiments to 9. Some equipment might move to the Army Reserve e.g. all HVM air defence.

Proff3RTR

War Hero
The Army is about to be reduced to an official strength of 65,000, with a trained and fit-for-role number of around 55,000.

Current actual strength is around 68,000 with around 5,000 of that unable to deploy (medical or compassionate reasons).

From the replacement for AS90 documents, the Army appears to think it only needs 2 AS90 regiments, so I can see the Gunner ORBAT becoming:
2 SP155mm (currently 3)
1 ISTAR (currently 3)

I suspect each surviving regiment will get a battery from one of the axed regiments, reducing the current total of 13 regiments to 9. Some equipment might move to the Army Reserve e.g. all HVM air defence.
It beggars belief, and our lords and masters think what we have is enough to defend the country. The world has to be honest never been more unstable and dangerous.

2 SP155mm (currently 3)
1 ISTAR (currently 3)

Wasnt it announced that MLRS was reforming as a regiment

As regards AD - pretty sure it was on Twitter a few months back that the LML regt was increasing to 6 btys so cant see any cuts falling there

Those political donations by oligarchs etc having a useful effect?

The Russians and the Chinese will be pleased.

Every cloud has a silver lining Boris. Yes of course Ivan!

Dread

LE
Wasnt it announced that MLRS was reforming as a regiment

As regards AD - pretty sure it was on Twitter a few months back that the LML regt was increasing to 6 btys so cant see any cuts falling there

Correct about MLRS: hence stating that the MLRS spread around the 3 AS90 regiments will become 1 MLRS regiment.

I just can't see a Starstreak/HVM regiment with 6 batteries of Stormer (I'm not sure the RA even has enough working Stormer vehicles for this), and would expect the new AD regiment to be 1 bty HVM on Stormer, 2 bty HVM LML, 2 (maybe 3) bty Sky Sabre.

While this thread is about the cost of infantry, a short off-topic: HVM is extremely effective at very short range against an approaching target (hence its designation as VSHORAD). It is not effective against crossing targets (especially towards the edge of its 'umbrella' of cover), and is utterly out-ranged by nearly all of Russia & China's helicopter launched stand-off anti-tank missiles. I don't believe it has ever been successfully tested against small drones (unlike Rheinmetall's gun systems that program a round leaving the barrel to explode as it reaches the target, spraying the airspace with tiny bits of extremely fast-moving metal).

Used to be able to get a Coldstream Guardsman for £20 a night.
“Hawking”, they called it.
99769da9c2dd74fe189dfed4657a454c.jpg

The Options For Change and Front Line First budget cuts pre-date Brexit by 22-25 years......

I don't think Tom King and Malcolm Rifkind were that far-sighted......
With respect I think the issue is body bags, machinery is dispensable , bodies are grief. Now don’t tell that to the Chinese or Russians.

Save the Money buy drones . And aad systems
All well and good until they are shot down or captured remotely - then what will you do?

Probably if we want to save some cash, get rid of some of the civil service that are unfit for purpose, and scrap the lords.

Latest Threads