what Corp?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by carabinier, Sep 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Young man i know ,17 years old.
    9 GCSEs all grade a,b,c, including maths,english,science.
    Just started his second year at college studying for a BTEC in software development.

Unsure if he wants to go to uni or join the services.

He's not been to the recruiting office yet, wants to get some info before he does. I know he's checked out the Army,RAF, Navy sites ref jobs.
    I think army of course, but i would do.

Anyone on here that could give some pointers on what drection he should be looking? IT i presume.

Thanks

2. why not do A levels/uni and go on to be an officer in a corps?

if i had his GCSE's and was in the middle of an A level course thats what i would do.

3. Me too.

But if he does want to join-DO NOT join the Signals!

4. Why not?

5. Yeah, why not ?

6. If he meets the medical and fitness requirements and does well through selection he would be able to go for all jobs if he has above C's in Eng Lan, Maths and Science. Lots of very good, challenging jobs on offer and as been pointed ou possible officer entry aswell if has the right UCAS points.
    He's got to think to his self does he want a trade, if so then he would have to go regular rather than officer. His best bet would be to speak to a recruiter and also ask to speak with the senior recruiter or ACA(o) regarding officer entry. Get as much info as possible and dont rush into things as he might aswell get as much quals as posible first.

7. Gents thanks for the input .

he's thinking along the lines of a trade,rather than officer.

8. REME Mate!!

You know it makes sense.

9. The Royal Engineers.
    Loads of trades for clever lads as well as the thickies like me!

10. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

If this is a bright lad which it would appear is the case, I strongly recommend he gets himself to university on an engineering course of some type (yes, software engineering will do as well) and whilst there join the OTC. He will be paid for attending, make some good mates and have a bit of an intro to Army life. He should then attempt to become an officer and join a technical corps like the REME or Royal Signals where his qualifications can be put to good use. If he wants to join up as a soldier, fine but if he wants to stick with IT (I am assuming tech IT as opposed to using microsoft) then again REME, R Sigs might be where he is headed. There is a growing IT trade in the RLC and I think they conduct informations systems management but I do not know if you can join this trade direct from civvie street - he might have to join up and then transfer to it after a period of time or at a certain rank.

The recruiters can give him a steer.

I hope this helps.

11. Without knowing the fella in question cannot advise, seems like a bright lad so not clawing at trade to become rich.

What does he want to do, spanner monkey, travel the world, sit in dark room liking windows, egg flipper, the list goes on.

Would suggest Sappers for Esprit de Corps however all sapper trades will eventually be absorbed by RLC judging by past performance!