What constitutes a Full English

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Onetup3, Mar 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If this has been done before, apologies to all:

At the hotel in Swindon this morning, I was asked by the particularly nice waitress with the Polish accent if I wanted the 'Full English or 'Continental' breakfast. Me even with a waistline to spare opted for the sort of breakfast that we won and lost an Empire on, none of that 'Johnny foreigner' muck.

Anyway jingoism aside and the fact that the bacon would probably come from Denmark I waited in anticipation. My full English duly arrived with toast and a pot of tea, however no black pudding or mushrooms but it did have a 'hash brown'.

Now to my minds eye, and I could be wrong, the jolly old hash brown is a septic invention and has no right to to be served with a full English. Also the sausage, fried egg, bacon, beans and fried tomato (together with tea and toast) is not quite the full monty. Without the blackpudding I suppose it could be called a Southern/Wiltshire/Regional English, the same way the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish have adapted the full English to their own ends.

My questions are, just what are the minimum standards/requirements for a full English and just where in England today can you get the best one?

2. Wot no fried bread?

An English breakfast isn't complete without fried bread.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. The bacon must be fried in the oil before you put the bread in.
  4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Very much a toast over fried bread man myself. I don't like beans either, shame on me I know. :oops: And I do like hash browns with mine. :oops: 8O
  5. Full English - Bacon, sausage, black pud, fried eggs, fried slice, mushies, beans and tomatoes.

Scottish - As above add white pudding and fruit pudding, haggis is not a breakfast vittle

Irish as above plus tattie scone...

Regional variations - Devon/Cornwall for example can include hog pudding - are obviously up to the inbred denizens of such places.

Under no circumstances do variations on fried egg count as part of a "full" breakfast - they merely invalidate the warranty!
  6. I remember Aldergrove (civvie) airport used to do a seroius Ulster Fry, with soda bread, black pudding...the works. Top nosh for a couple of quid.

Minimum for me is:

Black Pudding
    Bread (soda/fried)
    Baked Beans
    Strong Tea (in a pot)
    • Like Like x 2
  7. I think that you will find that, following the success of the smoking ban, the next step is to introduce a ban on the traditional 'Full English'. In future it will be referred to as a 'Fully Suffiicent Multicultral British' and will consist of rice, mango and yoghurt.

Hakuna Matata ... :roll:
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  8. msr

msr LE

Whatever fills an Englishman.

9. Cuddles, the proper full-Scottish includes Clootie dumpling, fried potato scones, and fried Scotch pancakes too, but does not include white pudding.

Yours sounds like some bizarre East coast type breakfast.
  10. fruit pudden/clootie dumpling are the same thing. I apologise for misnaming that food of kings. Fried tattie scones are an Irish thing and I expect you have been perverted by some black Irish weegie. White pudding is deffo in the mix - well certainly up the real end of Scotland, away from Edinburgh and glasgow wi yon multicultural ways!
  11. At weekends a small bit of steak and a lamb cutlet go well with the usual items.

Not recommended for everyday breakfasting though.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. And the sauce must be ?
  13. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

HP of course Josey.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I used to enjoy my visits to the settlements in the FI ... breakfast of mutton and eggs (sometimes in the summer an albatross/penguin egg), lunch of mutton sandwiches and then mutton veg and spuds for dinner! went to bed looking forward to the mornings mutton!

But I do like kippers now and again ... as a starter before the full English!