Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What colour were Chaplains berets? green?

energa

Swinger
I remember saluting what I thought was an Int Corps captain in Rheindahlen in the 1980's but was rebuffed with " You don't need to salute me. I'm the Chaplain"
What's the difference between their berets and Int Corps?
Been on my mind all these years...

HE117

LE
Chaplains are usually attached, so they will tend to wear the beret of which ever unit they are with.. I think their "normal" beret is just blue..

Regardless of what your chap told you, I would salute a Chaplain, as they do hold a commission..(of sorts..) as do some lay readers I think... Having said that a significant number do do the "don't salute me" bit, which, IMHO, misses the point a bit!

I think it is just politeness..

Their standard beret is blue, but they take on the Regiment they are attached too. Ours in BAOR wore both the TOS and Glengarry.
Its the Scripture Readers that used to check on the recruits at the Depot that quite liked a salute!

ugly

LE
Our chaplain was rarely in uniform as was the same with me, imagine my horror when the educatio officer pulled me for not saluting? The librarian rushed over and explained that I wasnt usually in uniform and managed to apologise on my behalf. Dear sweeties the pair of them.
It could have been the ack adj, I dont remember having an ed officer in Omagh!

They do have rank - it might be the old "Vicars & Tarts" course as it was known - but it's still the Queens Commission.

thats what i thought - so a salute is mandatory then as you salute the commission and not the man.
(or was that Band of Brothers?)

Vasco

War Hero
Chaplains in both Army and RAF are commissioned and wear officer rank, though I seem to remember that their actual status is 'Chaplain to the Forces' in grades equivalent to officer ranks starting at Capt. RN Chaplains, however, while commissioned and dressed as officers, do not wear badges of rank.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
i thought chaplains held a rank
They do. The bursar at my school (an RC boarding schppl) was a TA Padre. One summer (1976 IIRC) he turned up in Dortmund sporting the three pips of a captain.

I thought that I would never escape from the cunt. He was every where. One Sunday we as a family had buggered off for a trip out.

I was caught up with on the Monday. "Ah Fingerz did you miss mass yesterday?" "Not really Fr". He obviously had other matters on his mind when we got back to school as he never sought retribution.

As previously stated, RN Chaplains are 'rankless' and usually adopt the rank of whomever they are talking to. However, they normally serve under the terms and conditions of a Commander and receive similar perks including a salute. Several have passed the AACC (All Arms Commando Course), particularly those serving with RM units, and are entitled to wear a green beret.

thats what i thought - so a salute is mandatory then as you salute the commission and not the man.

Its never the Commission that gets a sad on if you don't salute it, its always the man.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
They do have rank - it might be the old "Vicars & Tarts" course as it was known - but it's still the Queens Commission.

It's the Professionally Qualified Officers Course, and damned hard it was too. Some nights the bar didn't open until half past five.

The first chaplain I ever saw was when in basic training. He strolled into the lecture hall with us lot sat in attendance, and he was effing and jeffing just like the NCOs.

A bit different from your traditional vicar.

adick.jpg

I remember saluting what I thought was an Int Corps captain in Rheindahlen in the 1980's but was rebuffed with " You don't need to salute me. I'm the Chaplain"
What's the difference between their berets and Int Corps?
Been on my mind all these years...
But surely chaplains are commissioned officers????

D

Deleted 4886

On a very wet exercise on Vancouver Island many many moons ago I was in an over watch position by a river. A jeep crossed the bridge and a plaintiff voice piped out 'please don't shoot me. It's only the Padre.' As he had brought a couple of flasks of soup we didn't!

Some very good eggs among the Padres i met over the years but some of the Scripture Reader types were a bit peculiar.

USAF chaplain at RAF Croughton was doing a pre-marital interview with a sergeant mate of mine and his girlfriend (corporal WRAC) and asked - in effect - if she were a prostitute. WTF?

Mate sprung to his feet and announced the interview was over and if he had anything else to say about it, he and his girl would be in our commander's office filing a formal complaint then stormed out of the chaplain's office.

So it came to pass our colonel "counseled" chaplain Chapman at length.