What civvy-recognised courses are there?

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by gmorrison22, Mar 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm starting my Phase 1 in around 2 months time as a CSOP, a chap in my office was a CSOP himself and he was telling me how he wanted to do a (civvy recognised) fibre optics course, just got me wondering what manner of courses such as this are available for someone who wants to do them?
  2. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

Loads as long as you are willing to pay for them.
  3. Do elaborate. How much do they cost?
  4. I'm well aware of how to use google so there's no need to be patronising mate, I'm asking how much they'd cost as a serving member of the Forces and what other ones there are, which I think is a fair question as how am I supposed to know?
  5. I don't think you are quite picking up on the hint being given. Sorry to be blunt but no one is going to wipe your arse for you. You are asking about fibre courses for civilian qualifications, the clue there being the word "civilian".

As was suggested a quick google will give you all the info you need, how could someone possibly know which one you intend to do or how much it would cost from the multitude of course offerings and providers available?
  6. I didn't ask about fibre optics courses, read my post again. I asked what civilian recognised courses there were on offer, as a serving soldier told me HE wanted to do the fibre optics course.
  7. Fair enough, when you said "courses such as this" I assumed you also meant fibre.
    To be honest I can't think of any that immediately come to mind. Maybe better to post this in the training wing section. I'm sure a couple of the adventure training type courses would be civvy accredited, Mountain Leader etc.. Normally you find though a bit more work is required on top of any course done in the military to bring it in line with civvy street.
  8. Ahh I see, I only ask because I was reading a thread about CSOP's and someone said words to the effect of 'The trade isn't amazing anymore, you'd have to push hard to get on civvy-recognised courses to set yourself for when you leave' hence why I'm wondering what courses there are to push to get on.

9. You'd be best having a rough plan first of what you'd like your next career to entail. The duties of the CSOp are so varied nowadays that there is no civilian comparable trade, unlike the role of the CSEng where it is far easier to pick up civvy quals and courses (out your own pocket normally) that can map to similar jobs on the outside.
  10. Sorry to sound like a mong mate but have you got any examples of what a CSOP would do after the Army? Usually get the answer "Work for BT" but I doubt that rings true, I've seen a van around my area that does satellite, phone lines and aerial installation, would this be the kind of thing I could be looking at doing?
  11. It's completely up to you mate, you'll find ex CSops or their older trade equivalents in all walks of life doing the strangest of jobs. The Comms and I.T industries though tend to be the main escape routes. I know satellite engineers, radio planners, systems admins, teachers, database admins, taxi drivers and the unemployed. Like I mentioned, there's no directly comparable job, it all depends on how well you prepare for your transition back to civvy street, will you spend all of your spare time pissing your wages up the wall? Or will you have the sense to set some time aside to prepare for that future career. Most make the mistake of not thinking about it until their resettlement phase and being forced in to a career they might otherwise not have chosen had they only started preparing that year or 2 earlier.
  12. Ahh I see, so if I have a rough idea at this point in my career, I can structure my way to a particular civvy career through particular courses?
  13. Exactly, just be aware though that most of these courses will probably be civvy courses and being so will invariably require an investment from you in the way of cash and giving up some of your leave to attend them unless you have a good boss.

There are methods of helping to fund civilian courses and accreditations such as the Standard Learning Credit (SLC) scheme and the Enhanced Learning Credit Scheme (ELC). You are automatically entitled to Standard Learning Credits but will only have I believe 2 opportunites in your career to sign up for the ELC scheme, the first of those is during training or first year of enlistment, make sure you sign up, I guarantee you will regret it if you don't, it's a lot of cash to miss out on.
  14. You could always get a posting to a NATO unit, where they will almost force you to go on civvie courses, with proper quals, and give you extra money for the privilege. The various NCSA jobs would be favourite.