What changes would you like to see in the Army

Seen loads of posts on gripes about todays Army. Just wondered what things you would like to see change. Me, the obvious; less back to back tours and the ability to sort out gobby phase 2's, the old fashioned way. (The cock sure attitude of one phase 2 really fckuin tested me today)

E

error_unknown

All officers of field rank and above should be issued an attractive nymphomaniac PA who owns a pub.

come_to_arrest_the_zulus said:
we shouldnt have to pay tax whilst on operational tours
Good shout. Bloody Germans/Dutch/Rest of NATO made a packet in Bosnia. What got me that the US Support Element used to visit on the last day of one month and leave on the first day of the next. Why? Because they were entitled to a tax free month if only one day was spent in theatre. I won't mention the LOA.

Good shout. Bloody Germans/Dutch/Rest of NATO made a packet in Bosnia. What got me that the US Support Element used to visit on the last day of one month and leave on the first day of the next. Why? Because they were entitled to a tax free month if only one day was spent in theatre. I won't mention the LOA.
Damn, I hate to defend the system but.......

We get payed a damn sight more than US troops do when in our respective home countries (my brother-in-law is a US Marine so believe me, I have a reliable source not hearsay). As for the LOA what do you believe you should be getting it for in Bosnia? The purpose of LOA is to offset the difference in living costs in a foreign country but seeing as you don't have to go out shopping in the local supermarket to stock up your freezer or pay car insurance in a more dodgy country this isn't applicable.

I'd like more money when abroad too but quoting LOA is definately a case of barking up the wrong tree.

See what you've made me do now, I've bloody well defended the system :x .

TheHelpfulStacker said:
Damn, I hate to defend the system but.......

We get payed a damn sight more than US troops do when in our respective home countries (my brother-in-law is a US Marine so believe me, I have a reliable source not hearsay). As for the LOA what do you believe you should be getting it for in Bosnia? The purpose of LOA is to offset the difference in living costs in a foreign country but seeing as you don't have to go out shopping in the local supermarket to stock up your freezer or pay car insurance in a more dodgy country this isn't applicable.

I'd like more money when abroad too but quoting LOA is definately a case of barking up the wrong tree.

See what you've made me do now, I've bloody well defended the system :x .
I should have been clearer. On deploying from Germany the LOA ceases for the deploying family member. I concur with your comment, LOA is for the purpose you quite rightly state. I was under the impression that the reader would understand what I meant by mentioning LOA. The point being loss of and not that I meant it should be granted in operational theatres. The point is the loss of and absence of any financial gain when deploying to a theatre where routine, conditions and environment are demanding. Yes, it is life in a green uniform but our 'allies' seem to fair better from their Governments. However if deploying from, say Germany we have a loss.

Correct, the US do get lower pay. The cost of living in the US is lower than in the UK. Reality check. With what the US provides to their overseas soldiers, even in operational theatres, are they ever far away from home and do they have to pay more. Basic example; in Sarajevo the EFI charged me approx DM6.50 for shaving foam, the PX $0.99.

On my return from Sarajevo my Italian friend bought a brand new motorbike and travelled Europe with his girlfriend. I went home to do my washing and caught a plane back to me mums.

Gees, inflation must have really hit EFI, hard.

I think I paid about £1.20 (well 3 DMish) for a tin of shaving foam from and EFI in GV back in '95 and that was when it was still a bit dodgy over there, what with folk still shooting at us occasionally. I suppose boredom and Playstation thumb are types of danger though.....

BTW, I was always taught you are better off using a shaving bowl and brush because they last longer (about a year usually) so you won't have to worry about getting a new tin of foam in the field, so to speak. Don't the Army teach this anymore?

TheHelpfulStacker said:
Gees, inflation must have really hit EFI, hard.

I think I paid about £1.20 (well 3 DMish) for a tin of shaving foam from and EFI in GV back in '95 and that was when it was still a bit dodgy over there, what with folk still shooting at us occasionally. I suppose boredom and Playstation thumb are types of danger though.....
Amended. I put a £ instead of DM plus it was the sensitive skin gel I admit.