What can the TA offer a Civvy Paramedic?

If a Student Paramedic wants to join the TA do they still have to go down the CMT 3,2,1 route? Is there a golden handshake? What rank would they join as and is there an accelerated promotion system in place? Any advise would be welcomed!

Don't be daft. Even as an experienced Paramedic you'd be met with the usual bollocks, and until that changes and Paras are treated in the same way as other qualified HCP's, I wouldn't sign on.

If you're a student paramedic you're not qualified, so I would imagine that you'd have to start from scratch. CMT3 etc.

Can't think for the life of me why you'd want to though.

Surely that should be what can a student civvy Paramedic offer the TA?

Surely that should be what can a student civvy Paramedic offer the TA?
Absolutely agree and a much wiser way of looking at the issue.

Depends on where they are in their training. However, even the newbee student para, already has a significant advantage over the ordinary joe public recruit that also wishes to join RAMC.

So the answer is I suppose, loads. Unfortunately, I don't expect the Army to see it like that, which is why I actively discourage Paramedics from signing on, until Paras have parity with other HCP's.

If a Student Paramedic wants to join the TA do they still have to go down the CMT 3,2,1 route? Is there a golden handshake? What rank would they join as and is there an accelerated promotion system in place? Any advise would be welcomed!
AMS TA only take paramedic/nurses in the CMT role, so you won't be anything special. Be a private soldier, learn tentage. There's other threads on this very subject

You might want to look into 144 Parachute Medical Squadron. More focused on pre hospital care so more welcoming to paramedics than other TA AMS.

if you want more info PM me.
Eh? Any field ambulance is Pre hospital, and AMS TA won't let you in unless you're frontline/NHS. I'm ex reg RAMC, *and* suitably civvy qualified, but they still won't let me in as I don't work prehospital as a civvy

The TA offer is:

1. Less than minimum wage, even on a short shift.
2. Administrative excuses for everything.
3. X-Factor. Meaning eXtra getting fucked about Factor.

The only reason for joining the TA (and, I would venture, the Regular armed forces) is out of a sense of duty to your country because it is a certainty that you shall give far more than you shall receive.

Ask not what the TA can do for you but what you can do for the TA.

In my case, the Army taught me lots of things, I just wish pissing through my arse wasn't one of them.

Eh? Any field ambulance is Pre hospital, and AMS TA won't let you in unless you're frontline/NHS. I'm ex reg RAMC, *and* suitably civvy qualified, but they still won't let me in as I don't work prehospital as a civvy
I don't know about the rest of the TA AMS but 144 will take student paramedics. Also have current paramedics as CMTs and MSOs.

I don't know about the rest of the TA AMS but 144 will take student paramedics. Also have current paramedics as CMTs and MSOs.
Just like the rest of AMS TA, where they don't accept anything else, unless you're an A&E nurse or similar. Already been and asked, and been fucked off at the high port by my "family"

The RAF have (reserve) paramedics and look after them. They do MERT and were based at Lynham where CCAST is.

Ours lord it up and mince about on drill nights in their jolly gay ambulance chap uniforms and they occasionally treat us to a blast of the old blues and twos as they speed past the TAC whilst generally walting about and showing off. I just wish they'd get a new ring tones.

But CMTs they are and CMTs they shall remain.

ODPs however, are loved and respected tri service wide...

But yer man ain't qualified so he'll be right at home with TA CMTs.

The RAF have (reserve) paramedics and look after them. They do MERT and were based at Lynham where CCAST is.

Ours lord it up and mince about on drill nights in their jolly gay ambulance chap uniforms and they occasionally treat us to a blast of the old blues and twos as they speed past the TAC whilst generally walting about and showing off. I just wish they'd get a new ring tones.

But CMTs they are and CMTs they shall remain.

ODPs however, are loved and respected tri service wide...

But yer man ain't qualified so he'll be right at home with TA CMTs.
I had a good laugh with the OTT lads during my month in theatre at Rinteln

Whilst you're a student, nothing.

However when registered you can skip CMT 3 and do your CMT 2 as your first course and then 1 (not sure if you have to wait the 12 mnths between 2 and 1 or if you can be fast tracked).

The Paramedics on my Class 2 who skipped class 3 did fine on the A&P and Medical side of things but struggled a little on the 'Army' way of doing things that was covered on Class 3 but still passed amongst the top of the Cadre. Duty rumour was in 3+ years when the Armys got it's own cadre of Paramedics in sufficient quantities then it will become it's own career stream but as it is at the moment you are still a CMT but allowed to operate with your own Paramedic scope of practice.

Whilst you're a student, nothing.

However when registered you can skip CMT 3 and do your CMT 2 as your first course and then 1 (not sure if you have to wait the 12 mnths between 2 and 1 or if you can be fast tracked).

The Paramedics on my Class 2 who skipped class 3 did fine on the A&P and Medical side of things but struggled a little on the 'Army' way of doing things that was covered on Class 3 but still passed amongst the top of the Cadre. Duty rumour was in 3+ years when the Armys got it's own cadre of Paramedics in sufficient quantities then it will become it's own career stream but as it is at the moment you are still a CMT but allowed to operate with your own Paramedic scope of practice.
It's been a damn sight longer than 3 years since I first heard that

ugly

LE
The TA offer is:

The only reason for joining the TA (and, I would venture, the Regular armed forces) is out of a sense of duty to your country because it is a certainty that you shall give far more than you shall receive.
I'm with Ex on this, why do something on a weekend that is similar to your day job? You certainly wont get any character development from it and your day job wont benefit, surely bringing your scab lifter experience to another job would be better, if its a 7 days a week job you want with shiny badges on weekends then maybe St Johns ambulance are for you!

The_Duke

LE
The TA offer is:

But you haven't really given too much though, have you? A few weekends, most training nights propping up the bar and telling more than your fair share of dull stories of "when I was a Cpl". You never actually gave enough effort to pass the basic fitness tests required to do anything meaningful, did you?

For the OP - go and ask at a TA medical unit to get a real picture of what you are able, and likely, to do. You should probably then look at the RAF and RNR reserves to see if they have anything more suitable for you. Considering you are not qualified yet, I would not hold out too much hope for being fast tracked to brain surgery duties any time soon.