What can i expect from an operational tour?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by BIGBIRD101, Oct 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fresh from my CMSR (passed out 29/09/07) and with a boyish enthusiasm belying my 30 years, last night i put my name forward to volunteer to go on a Force security tour on Op Herrick.

No information was provided at the time as to what his may entail (although I'm sure when i ask next week there will be info available)

In the meantime, however, should i be selected to go, what could i be expected to do and how does the process work?

Cheers

2. well you may spend two weeks at chilwynd barracks then on to the unit you are going out with for predeployment training followed by leave then on the tour.

3. What unit are you with, infantry or some other unit

4. mud blood and gore no respect when you return if you do

5. Piles. No piles ointment.

6. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Mostly pretty dull, relieved by moments of 'excitement'.

Best thing - finding out what REAL mates are!

Do it - you won't regret it.

7. There'll be plenty of sand/dust...

8. and sun....

9. Sorry, should have mentioned, 106 fd sqn RE

10. Depends - just how big are you?

11. And if you realy are a bird or not.

12. Sorry guys, its just a nick name based on my name and former weight

13. Sorry guys, its just a nick name. I'm only 5'8" and male.

14. That won't be a problem for some. 6 months in the desert can change people...
    Just remember your soap on a rope...

15. as you are a sapper I would say that you'd get to do plenty. The Infantry tend to do most of the stagging on and force protection jobs (but you will get some of that as well - can't let the Inf have all the fun!)

There will always be danger, comes with the uniform. Incoming, IEDs, mines, paper cuts, they are ever present but vary in their degree of intensity depending on where you are sent. Even the NAAFI managers are exposed to it.

Try the Sapper forum if you don't get many TA sappers giving constructive advise. I was Inf so wouldn't be too sure of your exact role. I did work alongside some sappers and I know they work their socks off and have a great esprit de corps - and don't moan as much as the infantry for sure! :)