What can i do?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by LDTPR, Aug 30, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all, So ive got a bit of a problem that's recently worrying me.

I recently deployed out to Canada for Exercise Prairie storm 3 and 4 but have come to a bit of a speed bump i came out mid august for 3 months and after 3 days i was man down with Heat injury (Rhabdomyolysis). This has been nothing to do with been Dehydrated its more to do with my CK levels went through the roof and hit 10,000 in less than 48 hours and kept climbing.

Now this was brought on by my Regiment been the dumb Fk's they are and taking a Regimental PT session on a 4 mile run (camp to canex and back) in 35 degree heat after been in Canada only 3 days....

Now we had one guy go down for heat exhaustion (dehydrated) in 26 degrees the day before and there was a medical warning out and all that good stuff from the med centre ect and the Regiment was warned not to do PT in over 20 degrees until acclimatized. (makes sense).

Now day i went down another guy also went down (he had heat exhaustion also) both if them are back to normal.

Me on the other hand i was rushed to ICU and spent 24 hours in there before moving into a ward for 5 days having over 20x 1 litre bags of IV pushed through my system to stop my liver from been blocked by the effects of the CK and Rhabdomyolysis and me dyeing. (having bloods taken every 3 hours or less throughout this process)

Im now been held in the batus med centre waiting for a flight home because its too dangerous to keep me in a hot climate. now ive heard people mentioning im not deployable to hot places and MD could come into it... which i don't want. Im been taken to some medical institute in the UK for further tests etc but don't want to think the worst atm.

anyone else suffered with this illness? can i claim through the armed forces claim scheme?
  2. Steady on tiger! One min your worried about being non-deployable, next you want to make a claim. Sort yourself out first, get the tests done and then see what happens.
    Could you make a claim, well of course hearing YOUR side of the story MAYBE but then in the claims world there are always 2 sides.
    If you had no long term affects, your fully deployable and no lasting damage and hopefully you hear that your Unit learnt a valuable lesson then i would move on. But then ive never been ill, i dont go sick and i crack on.
    But if your Unit were a bunch of ***** and you have lasting damage then where there is blame there is a claim.

And last time i looked, i think its a little less than 4 miles to the cannex and back.
  3. 35 degrees heat, 4 miles isn't that bad! I've ran in hotter conditions after a day I've arrived and this is on holiday. If you were on holiday, would you claim against your travel agent?

Anyway, I've seen this happen before to guys on Ex Grand Prix a few years back. After 2 days, out to Archers Post with full rig several went man down with heat injuries and one guy ended up with a condition that ruined his body thermostat. The slightest physical activity he'd overheat.

Just a small pointer, ARRSE is everywhere. Someone on this forum will know who you are, so I wouldn't post too many details on this.
  4. It's 3 miles there and back approximately from the Main Gate. More if you started running from the top. We sat there at the main gate past few weeks watching the guys come back from the their runs to Canex and back looking like they had heat stroke. It was right after they had gotten here to BATUS.
  5. Extract from Wiki:

is a condition in which damaged skeletal muscle tissue breaks down rapidly. Breakdown products of damaged muscle cells are released into the bloodstream; some of these, such as the protein myoglobin, are harmful to the kidneys and may lead to kidney failure. The severity of the symptoms, which may include muscle pains, vomiting and confusion, depends on the extent of muscle damage and whether kidney failure develops. The muscle damage may be caused by physical factors (e.g. crush injury, strenuous exercise), medications, drug abuse, and infections. Some people have a hereditary muscle condition that increases the risk of rhabdomyolysis. The diagnosis is usually made with blood tests and urinalysis. The mainstay of treatment is generous quantities of intravenous fluids, but may include dialysis or hemofiltration in more severe cases.

The symptoms of rhabdomyolysis depend on the severity of the condition, and whether kidney failure develops. Milder forms of rhabdomyolysis may not cause any muscle symptoms, and the diagnosis is based on abnormal blood tests in the context of other problems. More severe rhabdomyolysis is characterized by muscle pain, tenderness, weakness and swelling of the affected muscles.If the swelling is very rapid, as may happen after someone is released from under a collapsed building, the movement of fluid from the bloodstream into damaged muscle may cause low blood pressure and shock. Other symptoms are non-specific and result either from the consequences of muscle tissue breakdown or from the condition that originally led to the muscle breakdown. Release of the components of muscle tissue into the bloodstream causes disturbances in electrolytes, which can lead to nausea, vomiting, confusion, coma or abnormal heart rate and rhythm. The urine may be dark, often described as "tea-colored", due to the presence of myoglobin. Damage to the kidneys may give rise to decreased or absent urine production, usually 12 to 24 hours after the initial muscle damage.

Swelling of the damaged muscle occasionally leads to compartment syndrome—compression of surrounding tissues, such as nerves and blood vessels, in the same fascial compartment—leading to the loss of blood supply and damage or loss of function in the part(s) of the body supplied by these structures. Symptoms of this complication include pain or reduced sensation in the affected limb. A second recognized complication is disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC), a severe disruption in blood clotting that may lead to uncontrollable bleeding.

Reading the above I'd recommend waiting until you have been through all the tests, analysis and treatments until you even consider looking for compensation (which you are entitled to consider).
  6. Well after 2 weeks back at work but no phys after coming back from Canada, last Friday I was told to do a light PT session, come Saturday morning I had to get myself to A&E because of muscle pain (not stiffness). Had bloods taken every day for a week while been hospitalised. My CK this time hit 11,948....

the he hospital has given me a 6 week sick note to do absolutely nothing and to go home... (Took this note to the MO) his exact words "this doesn't matter the army have different rules"... Just shows how careless this army is.... I honestly couldn't give two flying f's if there are higher ups that know me anymore. It's not there health on the line it's mine and I'm taking every step possible to Avoid having kidney failure...

Gladly I'm keeping a record of everything that's been said and done by what to me look like a bunch of mindless monkeys.

Why hey is it the army feel that they always know best? And do not take civilian doctors advice? (They are more qualified than anyone in the army). - this is a fact.
  7. The elf and safety elves apply in the litigous age we live in.

Keep a full diary of when things were said and done. Who did things. Who said things. Keep any and all papers, documents, chits, prescripions and empty prescription bottles and wrappers.

Every medical centre and doctor are obliged to keep full and complte meical records of any treatments. They have to be made available if asked for.
  8. Hey! You maybe dying of the bad AIDS but there's no need to be offensive towards my red hatted brothers and sisters!
  9. Are you after an answer about your long term career prospects or just looking for some sympathy you tosser. Grown a pair and work on your fitness …. Oh and while I am at it did you get pissed the night before in BATUS . There is no sympathy bus on this site its for real soldiers
  10. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

No it doesn't, the civvie doctor wanted you to go home for 6 weeks without any medical supervision, the MO wanted more supervision, I'd call that better care.
    Are they? You compared their medical qualifications did you?
  11. I quite agree (my bold). I have often been on the piss in temperatures higher than that and have never had any ill effects.