What can I do in the armed forces with a degree in Biology?

I've just finished my first year at uni studying Biology and I have no idea what I want to do with it. There are a lot of jobs out there obviously, but I get bored very easily and I don't want to be working in a lab every day for the next 40 years of my life!

I'm trying to keep an open mind so when someone suggested the armed forces I did a bit of research and went to my local recruitment office. While the staff were very welcoming and gave me lots of information, they kinda only told me what I could find on the website: that I can join at a slighter higher level than those who don't have a degree (or the freakin' debt!). I did an aptitude test and did fine in it and the idea of the comradery and sense of belonging etc really appealed to me.
While I do not think I am above anyone who doesn't have a degree or anything like that, I do love Biology and would love to have a job that uses my degree rather than a job I could have done without studying for it. Again, no disregard for anyone without a degree!!!

Does anyone know of any careers with the armed forces that would allow me to use my degree?

Cheers in advance!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
One of the years when I was at Chatham the RE YO who was awarded their Best YO award (can't remember if it was a sword or a shield type thing) was a biology graduate

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A former colleague, ex-Army, had a degree in Entomology (bug hunting) - he'd even found a new species of gnat, or somesuch, during one of his nature rambles on Svalbard and had it named after him.
His degree led him to a commission in the Gunners

With all this talk of plastics in the ocean I'd go for this. A lot better than the armed forces.

Marine biologist job profile | Prospects.ac.uk
I believe that there’s the grand total of 6 permanent marine biologists jobs in the U.K. or some other number equally small compared to the amount of marine biologists that go to university.

Many marine biologists dream of swimming with dolphins. Most in the U.K. have the glamourous job of collecting sand samples at the beach at sellafield and sending dead fish to land for an autopsy report.

Many, many, many graduates do degrees that have no relevance to their occupations.

I know people who have studied geography who have set up recruitment consultancies, an engineering graduate who went into IT. We even have people like Harry Hill who trained to be a Doctor and became a comedian.

A degree can open doors. Fortunately though, the military is an employer who doesn’t automatically dismiss very capable people who don’t have degrees.

The OP should look at the wide variety of careers open in the army (and navy and airforce).

I believe that there’s the grand total of 6 permanent marine biologists jobs in the U.K. or some other number equally small compared to the amount of marine biologists that go to university.

Many marine biologists dream of swimming with dolphins. Most in the U.K. have the glamourous job of collecting sand samples at the beach at sellafield and sending dead fish to land for an autopsy report.

Many, many, many graduates do degrees that have no relevance to their occupations.

I know people who have studied geography who have set up recruitment consultancies, an engineering graduate who went into IT. We even have people like Harry Hill who trained to be a Doctor and became a comedian.

A degree can open doors. Fortunately though, the military is an employer who doesn’t automatically dismiss very capable people who don’t have degrees.

The OP should look at the wide variety of careers open in the army (and navy and airforce).
Maybe not all permanent but there are plenty of roles for people interested in marine biology from working in the charity and NGO sector to working in academia (at the RA level without a PhD). Whilst I think for this generation of graduates, permanent roles are a bit of pipe dream anyway.

A degree in biology? That qualifies you for a myriad of tasks.

Close order drill, battle PT, ICFT, the list goes on.

happy to help.

...people like Harry Hill who trained to be a Doctor and became a comedian.
As did Graeme Garden, if you coun’t The Goodies as comedy (although the art of ‘Eee By ‘Eckey Thump was quite amusing - I believe it killed a man in Australia who died laughing).

As @AfghanAndy says, your degree is not training. If the Army wants you to have a skill, you’ll get a course. Other agencies are after native language speakers, but that’s the exception rather than the rule.

Quite a lot of things you learn in Civilian life you will have to un-learn, as, for better or worse, the Army does its things its own way.

Latest Threads