WHAT CAN I DO IN OBERSTORF, BAVARIA

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by gary2000, May 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. PLANNING AN AT TRIP TO OBERSTORF AND WONDERING WHAT THERE IS TO TO BOTH AT AN AT LEVEL AND SOCIALLY. IS THE NIGHTLIFE ANY GOOD AND IS THERE ANY GOOD AT ACTIVITIES TO TRY WHEN WE ARE THERE.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT

2. Beer Beer Beer! Do I need to say more?

3. To work off that beer, or give you a thirst, try chamois-stalking!

If you can shoot, it's a truly magical experience.

You do need to be (a) pretty hill fit; and (b) able to shoot straight.

If you bag one, you may be assured of one hell of a party. Light duties advised for following 2-3 days. The "crack", food and wine are fantastic. The Bavarians are as hospitable as the Irish. I richly recommend it, male or female.

4. Yes beerjokes apart. Bavaria is a beautyful part of Germany and its a good time to visit it now.

5. A great area, for food, drink, and scenery. Climb up to the top of the ski jump there and think "NO WAY". Go to Sonthofen too, lovely little Bundeswehr Garrison town with some nice restaurants and bars. See if you can have a look in/around the Generaloberst Beck Kaserne, bloody amazing place. I was stationed in that Allgau area for 9 months back in the mid 1970s. Loved every minute of it.

6. Try the Banana beer!!

7. The local history museum (Heimatmuseum, Ostrasse 13) is well worth a visit. They've got the biggest boot in the world there too.

Another place to visit is the "Breitachklamm" near Tiefenbach. A narrow gulch about 400 feet deep through which the Breitach river boils. There's a path along the side anchored to the rocks, with various briges across. Marvellous place.

Otherwise, get into the nearest boozer, slam the tap into a barrel of beer and say: "O'zopt ish"! Then start drinking. :D :D :D

MsG

8. Oberstdorf is a great place, especially in summer and winter. There is plenty to do from hill walking and mountaineering on the Wildspitze and Zugspitze to white water rafting. Their is also a glacier nearby for some summer skiing.

In the winter there is some good skiing both downhill and cross country. Next year - Jan 08 the first Army Telemark Ski Championships will be held not far from there in Austria - you should check out this website www.gbtelemark.co.uk for more details, please sign the guestbook.

Have a great time.

gb

9. Get yourselves some lederhosen and have a go at slapping each others arses, and yodelling.

10. That bit comes after you've shot the chamois. :D

And are trying to decide where to put the Bart . . . . .

Boogie . . . . . :boogie: :clap:

11. Locals are very friendly,i have been twice myself.

12. One of the best hangover head aches you will ever experience. Weissen beer :p

13. Just do it anyway....it will be an experience!

14. Mad Ludwigs Castle, Neuschwanstein. It's up this big hill with three Gasthausen on route.

More beer. Engelbrau, Lowenbrau.

Why are you asking us, we were all pished at the time.

Try the Mecketzer, try it all.

Try Google.

15. ECE isnt it the Engelbrau brewery trip down there? cant remember now but believe it cost us 15 DM a head (a fiver in 1989) and as much beer as we could feed through a drip into our blood system :drool: