What brigade are the Coldstream Guards part of?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Joshd1982, Jul 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys,

A quick Google search says they are part of 12th mechanized brigade, but they aren't listed on the army website.

Could anyone answer this for me?

Many thanks

2. Brigade of Guards? Wah?

3. No Wah.

On the army website, it lists all the other Guards battalions but I can't find the Coldstream guards.

4. Perhaps they're no longer on the ORBAT?

5. My bad.

I dont really understand how the structure works. For example, why are the grenadier guards not part of London hq!?

Does that mean Coldstreamers arent deploying to afghanistan again?

6. There are (or at least were up until a couple of years ago) Foot Guards and line infantry battalions under command (OPCOM) HQ London District. These Bns were based in the London area and were responsible for conducting ceremonial duties. During the operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, these Bns were (and probably still are) routinely re-subordinated to Type A (deployable) formations for deployment to Ops TELIC and HERRICK. I've lost track of which Bn is where at the moment, but 1 COLDM GDS may well be one of the two Foot Guards Bns based in London, but may well be under some sort of command (OPCOM/OPCOM/TACON/etc.) of a deployable Bde either in preparation for, returning from or currently deployed on Op HERRICK.

7. 1st Mechanised Brigade