Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

What boys comics did you grow up with?

Beano as a nipper, then Warlord, Victor, Battle/Action from about age 7... I can't remember which is which now, but still remember some of the storylines.

Was it Victor which used to have a true story on the back page, with comic strip account of VC-winning actions etc? Very inspiring and a great recruiting tool lol... There was also a weekly with a lad who used to climb sheer rockfaces (barefoot?) to ambush the jerries / eyeties / japs from behind. Union Jack Jackson has already been mentioned.

Non-war, used to read Tiger - Hot Shot Hamish, Billy's Boots and other sporty (invariably football) titles. Hamish had a shot like a rocket but he was ******* inaccurate - used to knock down goalposts, floodlights, passing airliners etc. Billy's Boots was about a shit footballer kid who has a pair of crappy old falling-apart boots which belonged to his old idol (something like Deadshot Kean?), which turn him into an amazing player. He usually loses them about once a week. Plays like shit until his mum turns up with the old brown boots, whereupon he can suddenly turn the game around. It's a bit like encouraging kids to cheat & take illegal performance-enhancing drugs in order to win at sport.

Oh, and Roy of the Rovers of course. I think some football game (Sensible Soccer?) even introduced Melchester Rovers as a team on there. And I have a vague memory of a comic called Hotspur, but I might be mis-remembering.

Victor,sparky (thinking mans Beno). Valiant,Hotspur (lots of words). Battle,Warlord,Fiesta and Mayfair.

First started with Beano and Dandy around '65 I guess, almost every issue ended up with good old Dennis the Menace getting a good shoeing from the old man.

Billy Whizz, Bash St Kids, Biffo the Bear, and that retard girl with the catapult, wotsername...

Valiant, about 1965/67 maybe. Captain Hurricane and his batman "Tich" if memory serves.On one of the annuals, I remember them on the front cover, parachuting down and Tich looking shit scared. Used to get annuals every Christmas, we was poor but we was happy .

**edit**

Just remembered...Billy Bunter, stuffing his face all the while. And Quelch, the master at Greyfriars was it?

Valiant - the Steel Claw, the Eye of Zoltec, House of Dollman, and the huge RM Captain whose name I can't remember. Then in the '70s, I saw a 200AD on the NAAFI wagon - and been getting it ever since :)

Was it Mayfair that had the "I confess" stories every month, published on brown-coloured paper? And Forum, to explain the basics of perversion that've lasted me through 'til now. That's the stuff to give young lads - none of your intenet filth, you had to be able to read in those days!

Mine sort of echoe's all of the above.......Battle, Commando et al. I did have a perchant for Disney comics (Donald Duck). Then when puberty kicked in, still all of the above with the occasional Playboy, Mayfair.

Mine sort of echoe's all of the above.......Battle, Commando et al. I did have a perchant for Disney comics (Donald Duck). Then when puberty kicked in, still all of the above with the occasional Playboy, Mayfair.

And Rosie bizarre.

Thouht the Eagle was a cut above everything else in 50's,should have been,it was 4d!Great artwork.

Eagle
But remember in the '50's, "Eagle" was the pinnacle of matriculation. First came "Robin" for up to about 6 or 7 year-olds, then "Swift" up to about 9 or so, and then came the great day when "Eagle" was ordered. What a milestone in one's life!

I am disappointed to see no mention of that great Brylcreme Boy hero, "Battler Britten"! Along with "Achtung! Spitfuer!" came the inevitable: "Himmel! Es ist Battler Britten!". And the Huns were doomed! This was at a time when in winter, kids were wearing RAF surplus leather pilots helmets to keep their ears warm when cycling to school and the crisp, frosty air rang with "Daga-daga-daga" "Himmel..... etc etc.

Oh yes, and Meccano Magazine! God, how boring THAT was!

Methinks, there's a few meloncholy moments thinking back when we wore shorts to school. Childhood memories (happy) and all that, not that Dickensian shit.

Billys Boots was the Tiger as was Roy of the Rovers and Johnny Cougar. Victor had more of a War Mag feel about it apart from Alf Tupper

Sort of true, but Alf (the dogs bollox) Tupper did join the Army in the Victor comic, it was called. "You're in the Army now."

My avatar is from Victor. "Bring em back Bert" the hardest, most resourceful Rechy Mech on the planet. How many other REME trades got coverage in such a well read comic?

As has been mentioned many times, Commando was ace. My old man used to call them 'threepenny dreadfuls' but he let me buy them, and he'd read them after I'd gone to bed.