• Danner

• Highlander

• Oakley S.I

• Mil-Com

• Other - Please Specify

Results are only viewable after voting.

The_Poltroon

Clanker
If I hadn't been given a pair of each for free I'd buy some Aku Pilgrim FG GTX for the summer /autumn months and a pair of the current issue Iturri CWW boots for the winter.

Your tootsies will thank you.

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
No AKU Pilgrim on that list! Tut tut. Got to be worth a 50% discount voucher as they're the biz. Best boot and nearest to NI Patrol Boot in terms of weight.

No Haix either......issued are good, heavy, but a good boot. Biggest gripe is how quickly the sole gets worn down; suppose when you're walking 70 miles a day, understandable

No AKU Pilgrim on that list! Tut tut. Got to be worth a 50% discount voucher as they're the biz. Best boot and nearest to NI Patrol Boot in terms of weight.

No Haix either......issued are good, heavy, but a good boot. Biggest gripe is how quickly the sole gets worn down; suppose when you're walking 70 miles a day, understandable
That’s a very fast pace or a lot of hours nonstop

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
Heavy boots
Initially, but you soon get used to them and anything else feels insubstantial. The non-goretex version are the go to item for the German Bundeswehr.

Obviously not literally. My gripe is about the sole and how quickly its worn.
I had that with a pair of Karrimors I bought. I walked 16 miles and there was a hole in the sole all the way through to the inner-sole.

TamH70

MIA
Initially, but you soon get used to them and anything else feels insubstantial. The non-goretex version are the go to item for the German Bundeswehr.
I like my Magnum Cougars. Mainly for the reason that the soles on them don't actively try to kill me on first contact with wet leaves, wet concrete and wet rock - like what my Merrells' soles do. Nearly going arse over tip about a dozen times in a one-mile walk gets very annoying very quickly.

I had that with a pair of Karrimors I bought. I walked 16 miles and there was a hole in the sole all the way through to the inner-sole.
Karrimors is sports direct now has been fir years, utter cheap shite.
Work bought us karrimpr hiking boots and they fell to bits in no time after just walking about a shopping park and kicking a few tramps to death.

I like my Magnum Cougars. Mainly for the reason that the soles on them don't actively try to kill me on first contact with wet leaves, wet concrete and wet rock - like what my Merrells' soles do. Nearly going arse over tip about a dozen times in a one-mile walk gets very annoying very quickly.
I had something similar to these when living up in the permafrost environment of Pennsylvania. 6 months of the year it was dire, snow storms, ice storms and so cold that the ground was frozen solid from late november to early april.

Work bought us karrimpr hiking boots and they fell to bits in no time after just walking about a shopping park and kicking a few tramps to death.
I called them and all they could mumble on about was internet purchases and chinese knock off's. No offer of anything, will never buy them again.

I have a pair of Haix Nebraska, they the most comfortable boots I've ever had. Warm in the cold, cool in the heat, waterproof but not sweaty. A shame then, that the midsole has perished away after just 18 months.

My winter mountain boots have been Solomon’s and Aku Hi leg Pilgrims, I can get crampons on the latter if needed.

If I’m doing alpine climbing I go with Scarpa.

Depends on which Karrimor brand you buy. I have an issued pair of cold weather SFB boots which are bullet proof, Apart from the dog pulling me half way down place fell.

BW wears Haix boots (mostly). Awesome boots btw.
Got mine (Lowa) 12 years ago and still going strong*. Back then the chap who procured them for me told me that the BW used to do equal shares contract purchasing from Lowa, Meindl and Haix. His, and my other mates boots, had all the BW markings, but no manufacturers marking and they looked identical to my Lowa. I know that when Lowa started knocking out the desert boots the BW bought them and they were not generic anonymised boots.

Can't argue about the Haix boots, I tried the KSK Bergstiefel and they fitted like an old comfy well worn in pair of boots from the moment I tried them on. If I had not had a decent pair of boots and was looking I would of had them.

The military boxheads I know if they are spending their own money on boots they will buy Hanwag - as military they have a good discount scheme through their unit.

Note*: A mate is a retired Hauptmann Gebirgsjaeger, he has a pair that must now be approaching 20 years old. Keeps the leather treated and has probably had them re-soled 4 or 5 times now and still uses them regularly on his farm.

Latest Threads