What book would you make into a film?

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Screw_The_Nut, Sep 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What book (or series of books) would you like to see being made into a film/tv series? Surely they are running out of comic books now?

Being a geek, I'd like to see "Lord Of Light" by Roger Zelazny and "Bill The Galactic Hero" or "Stainless Steel Rat" by Harry Harrison.

But there must be hundreds out there, that could make a fantastic film/tv series!
  2. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

There's a bunch of Len Deighton books, the ones that aren't Harry Palmer ones, that would make cracking films.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Oh yeah Deighton, Game, Set and Match. Being as he didn't like the TV series and it's hard to get hold of....Movie please.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Without Remorse, Tom Clancy, thought that was going to be next after Clear and Present Danger with Willem Dafoe as Clark.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Any of the flashmans (that piece of *#@$ from the 70s staring mcdowell doesn't count)

Smileys people (or other book in the karla series ) with the same cast as in ttss for the follow up

More from the aubrey-maturin series. Master and Commander was a class film and Russell Crowe cast well

I like books in a series!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I think the chances of Deighton approving it would be low. He bought back the rights to Game Set & Match just so it couldn't be shown again.
  7. That Deighton is getting on a bit, maybe whoever takes over his estate will have a different view...
  8. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Operation certain death, made in the same way as black hawk down
    • Like Like x 2
  9. I would like to see Deighton's "Bomber" made into a film, one of my all time favourite books. Has all the elements required to make a good film.

Bomber (novel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    • Like Like x 2
  10. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Stumpy and the auld sapper.
    • Like Like x 4
  11. baboon6, if we did see that made, it would go nicely with Smiley or Tinker Tailor..., the old and the new. Taped that TV series in Berlin when it was first shown and have I still got the tapes now?....have I fcuk. Pretty good cast.
  12. Still haven't seen the movie of TTSS, very much liked the TV series. Want to watch the series of Smiley's People, is it as good?
  13. One of my favourite books too and would make a cracking film. Might be a bit too big budget for a British production though, and as I pointed out above unfortunately Deighton isn't exactly keen on selling rights to his books anymore.