Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

What beret?

into de_void

Swinger
Hello all, I've just joined the site so I thought I'd say hello...and while you're here any chance I could pick your brains for a bit of Beret (colour of) Guidance: I'm a former RM, ex recce troop so para trained and I've just joined RE TA, the Adjt seems to be having some confusion as to what colour beret I can/should wear. The perm staff wear a variety of black/green/maroon as applicable and there are a couple of ex regulars in maroon but he seems to think I can wear any of the 3, black or green seems a no brainer to me but I don't feel its right to don a maroon one as I was never on 5 or 16 Bde. What do you think?

Why was a maroon beret even discussed? Are you within a unit that has seperate troops roled to either brigade? If so green it is, bang out P Company prior to entry to that troop then maroon becomes a choice. Wear a black one and you deserve your head examining by a speeding Van Hool Elise :)

Don't wear a beret, show you are different by rocking up in one of these.

MILITARY-CHAPEAU-WITH-FINE-EAGLE-COCKADE.jpg

Hello all, I've just joined the site so I thought I'd say hello...and while you're here any chance I could pick your brains for a bit of Beret (colour of) Guidance: I'm a former RM, ex recce troop so para trained and I've just joined RE TA, the Adjt seems to be having some confusion as to what colour beret I can/should wear. The perm staff wear a variety of black/green/maroon as applicable and there are a couple of ex regulars in maroon but he seems to think I can wear any of the 3, black or green seems a no brainer to me but I don't feel its right to don a maroon one as I was never on 5 or 16 Bde. What do you think?
Most blokes I know in my unit who are ex RM or PARA trained just wear the normal coloured beret of the unit but have either the Commando dagger or/and PARA wings sewn on the Combat 95's. It depends how much attention you want to draw to yourself. I was told you can only wear the maroon or commando beret when directly attached to the unit on training or ops. However someone with more knowledge can correct me.

I would have thought you wear what you are told. Ive rarely served with someone of airborne or commando persuasion who hasnt been difficult to get on with or problematic when working. You should concentrate more on adapting and developing yourself in the new environment of the TA, youll find it is different in many ways and if you play the game right it can work well for you.

To the best of my knowledge:

If you're in a unit serving under 3 Cdo (IE 131) then you wear a green lid. If you're in a unit serving under 16AA (IE 299) then you wear a maroon lid. If you're not either of those, you wear whatever everyone else is wearing.

The exceptions to this are when serving in either a recruiting post (IE AFCO) or in a training post (IE AFC). That's why sometimes you see PSIs wearing their coloured berets, as the TA post is usually part of their 'training' thing (in many Corps, all Sgts have to spend part of their career in a 'training role' - this can be at an ATR/AFC etc, or at a TA unit as a PSI, or at a Cadet Training Team). That's why you will probably also see a few floating around when you are in your training at both RTC and CMS(R). As for ex-regs doing it, shouldn't really happen, but I'd be naive to say it doesn't.

As the_creature pointed out, you are able to show that you are Para / Marine trained by wearing the respective badge. There is a pointy 'inverted cone' shaped thing with a dagger on that commando trained can wear on left arm - not the square dagger that you wear in RM. 'Army Commando' flashes (like Royal Marines Commando things, on shoulders) are not worn unless, like the beret, you are at a 3Cdo unit (131). Paras can wear wings, obviously.

But, generally, the ruling is:
• Beret colour = determined by unit serving with.
• Badge = determined by qualification.
Unless serving in a training or recruiting posting where you may wear the coloured beret.

Its 75 Eng so no seperate Cdo or Para sect within the Unit, curiously (to some I imagine) my gut feeling says black as its something different to the one I've worn for the previous 18yrs!

Its 75 Eng so no seperate Cdo or Para sect within the Unit, curiously (to some I imagine) my gut feeling says black as its something different to the one I've worn for the previous 18yrs!

Then wear what everyone else is wearing, and buy yourself a neat little dagger flash for your left arm.

royal-marine-commando-dagger-tp_15212828165585200.jpg

Black it is then brother! :) unlucky, do what I do, get bollocky outside when its a full moon and press yourself up against the front room window in your old lid and force your meaty stem against the cold glass.

Your lass will love it.