What badges/flashes do I wear? (ex Royal Marine joins Army)

Hello all,

I was a fully trained Royal Marines Commando for a few years. After several years as a Civvy I have joined my local army reserves unit. While on Mod 1 I was advised by the DL that I should wear the commando dagger and be proud of my previous achievements in the forces (which I am). However, I have also been advised by another source to where the army commando flashes which, I am not sure is correct cos I didn't do the AACC.

There are several threads about this on here but I am yet to see a definitive answer, any help will be gratefully received.

Cheers,
Steve.

HTH

71uGDCxtBrL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Army Commando flashes iaw your Corps’/Regt’s dress regulations.

Hello all,

I was a fully trained Royal Marines Commando for a few years. After several years as a Civvy I have joined my local army reserves unit. While on Mod 1 I was advised by the DL that I should wear the commando dagger and be proud of my previous achievements in the forces (which I am). However, I have also been advised by another source to where the army commando flashes which, I am not sure is correct cos I didn't do the AACC.

There are several threads about this on here but I am yet to see a definitive answer, any help will be gratefully received.

Cheers,
Steve.
Slightly out of date, but I believe the "Army Commando" mudflaps would be the correct badge.

arcticfox042

War Hero
Right arm, approx 10cm from the shoulder seam, central to the sleeve...
Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 17.09.33.png

Left arm, 15cm from the shoulder seam.... central to the sleeve.......
Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 17.11.25.png

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Dagger is the RM Commando TRF. Wear Army Commando mudguards and if you really want to piss people off, a green beret :)

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Or just look up dress regs for your capbadge.

QRK2

LE
Hello all,

Cheers,
Steve.

Army Commando shoulder titles in No 8 Dress (Combats). Commando dagger badge with triangle(ish) backing on Nos 1 and 2 dress and in miniature on mess kit.

The FS Knife on a square backing is the Cdo Bde badge, so you should not wear that unless your unit is in 3 Cdo Bde. ETA: this is not a qualification badge and is worn by all in 3 Cdo Bde.

Regimental headdress not green beret unless in a Cdo Unit.

Last edited:
Dagger is the 3 Commando brigade TRF. Wear Army Commando mudguards and if you really want to piss people off, a green beret :)
Fixed for you.
The black/red small dagger badge is still worn by RAF who have completed the AACC

Hello all,

Cheers,
Steve.
Party frock...

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Fixed for you.
The black/red small dagger badge is still worn by RAF who have completed the AACC
That's kind but I sort of picked up that the OP is smart enough not to have needed to join the RAF Regt. If he did, it would be amusing to see him running the '5 miles of death' six times :)

Last edited:

CC_TA

LE
Army Commando shoulder titles in No 8 Dress (Combats). Commando dagger badge with triangle(ish) backing on Nos 1 and 2 dress and in miniature on mess kit.

The FS Knife on a square backing is the Cdo Bde badge, so you should not wear that unles you unit is in 3 Cdo Bde.

Regimental headdress not green beret unless in a Cdo Unit.
As above but best bet - speak to you new gaffa.

Headdress is upto your unit.
Some units allow those that have completed Commando cse or P coy to wear their pink/cabbage hats as a bit of an incentive to people to give it a go and also so the lads can stand out a bit & show a bit of pride in their achievements.

Hello all,

Cheers,
Steve.

Wear your little black dress. Those who know, know. Those who don’t, don’t matter.

That's kind but I sort of picked up that the OP is smart enough not to have needed to join the RAF Regt. If he did, it would be amusing to see him running the '5 miles of death' six times :)
I was merely making the distinction that there are two dagger badges in service. The larger square 3 Bde TRF and the red dagger on black inverted triangle. And whilst the Army have adopted shoulder flashes, the latter is still worn by airforce personnel (not just RAFR). I added it in the event somebody claimed that this dagger is no longer worn.

Last edited:
I was merely making the distinction that there are two dagger badges in service. The larger square 3 Bde TRF and the red dagger on black inverted triangle. And whilst the Army have adopted shoulder flashes, the latter is still worn by airforce personnel (not just RAFR). I added it in the event somebody claimed that this dagger is no longer worn.

The square black fighting knife on green square TRF denotes anyone serving in 3 Cdo Bde - it is not a qualification.
The red fighting knife on black background is the Commando qualification badge in the same way para wings denote you've done your jumps.
@steve Ay - if your current unit deploys with 3 Cdo Bde I'm pretty sure wearing your Green Lid would be expected - otherwise, not within your unit if it's non Commando.
As QRK says - you'll be able to get chapter and verse from dress regs but I doubt wearing the shoulder title will be required.

I know a good bloke who had SAS wings and a blue beret within my unit due to him not undertaking the AACCand you'll have seen similar with 3 Cdo Bde TRFs without Green Beret in CDO Logs etc.

The square black fighting knife on green square TRF denotes anyone serving in 3 Cdo Bde - it is not a qualification.
The red fighting knife on black background is the Commando qualification badge in the same way para wings denote you've done your jumps.
@steve Ay - if your current unit deploys with 3 Cdo Bde I'm pretty sure wearing your Green Lid would be expected - otherwise, not within your unit if it's non Commando.
As QRK says - you'll be able to get chapter and verse from dress regs but I doubt wearing the shoulder title will be required.

I know a good bloke who had SAS wings and a blue beret within my unit due to him not undertaking the AACCand you'll have seen similar with 3 Cdo Bde TRFs without Green Beret in CDO Logs etc.
All correct. But army people no longer wear the red/black knife. Only RAF wear that now.

Latest Threads