What army jobs involve working with animals?

I'm currently studying Animal Management at college and am thinking of where I want to go in the future. I've been drawn to the army due to my passion for health and fitness and the strengthening of the mind. I'm currently 25 so with that in mind, is there any careers in the army with which I would be able to work with animals?

Also, I wish to be completely honest and say I'm generally interested in joining the army but I don't believe I would be able to shoot another human, apart from an extreme circumstance so is there any positions with animals that would mitigate this risk?

Chef

LE
This might help:

Realistically if you join the army, even to work with animals, you'll be trained as a soldier first with all that involves.

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
Also, I wish to be completely honest and say I'm generally interested in joining the army but I don't believe I would be able to shoot another human, apart from an extreme circumstance so is there any positions with animals that would mitigate this risk?
I don't think being a soldier would be good for either you or the army then.

For the OP:

Dog handler

Vet Tech

The RAF also have dog handler roles.

You're joining the wrong organisation if you wouldn't be able to shoot someone, not that the majority of people who join the army ever actually have to do it outside of teeth arms but in an unstable world where you may be deployed to some rather dangerous places where folks would have no qualms about shooting you, there is always the possibility you may not have a choice. As Chef says you're a soldier first regardless of what trade you take up after basic training.

Have you thought about Police dog handler rather than military? Or even training security and protection dogs for companies like this who supply to the civilian market Personal Protection Dogs, Family Guard Dogs & Training - TOTAL K9 ®

I'm currently studying Animal Management at college and am thinking of where I want to go in the future. I've been drawn to the army due to my passion for health and fitness and the strengthening of the mind. I'm currently 25 so with that in mind, is there any careers in the army with which I would be able to work with animals?

If only there was a part of the British Army that dealt with animals:

Far be it for me to judge but I am not convinced the Army is actually looking for recruits who are keen on killing people.

I don't know what you are studying for but a professional qualification might help you.

di135

Swinger
What about horses?

the kings troop are a mounted ceremonial reg.

as others have said - you are a trained soldier first but as the majority of their stuff is ceremonial - you’d be unlikely to get to front line

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
That's all wonderful until your last paragraph. The Army, as an organisation, is kind of predicated on killing other folk and breaking their stuff, before taking over their real estate. Every job in the Army contributes to that in one way or another and every person in the Army is trained to at least give it their best shot at doing it in person. You;ll need to rationalise that and get it straight in your head before you go any further.

I agree with the above, most Soldiers do not get to use their personal weapon (what the Americans call, your side arm.) in Combat, most killing on the ground is done by Artillery and Air, but it's important that you have it in mind that no matter what Branch you join, you are still, or would be if you joined, a member of Her Majesties' Armed Forces, it does exactly what it says in the title.

Stibbon

Old-Salt

I admire your honesty but an army, as already alluded to above, exists ultimately to achieve it's goals through force. If you're too snowflakey to consider hurting or killing anybody and are instead preoccupied with a love of animals then maybe it ain't for you .. ;)

Just saying ...

Last edited:
When you apply to be a Police Dog Handler do not mention you don't believe in Law & Order?

You said:
"I don't believe I would be able to shoot another human, apart from an extreme circumstance."

Well believe it or not the Armed Forces do not bimble around randomly killing people for no reason there is a 99.9% chance the situation would be considered an extreme circumstance.

Have you thought about Police dog handler
To be considered to be a police dog handler you have to have completed your two years probation and usually several years of street experience as well. Such positions are much sought after with stiff competion. The dog lives at home with you, so you need to have a suitable house with a garden. The dog lives with the familly.

ACAB

LE
What about horses?

the kings troop are a mounted ceremonial reg.

as others have said - you are a trained soldier first but as the majority of their stuff is ceremonial - you’d be unlikely to get to front line
Are you for real???

Is this some kind of wind up????

Latest Threads