What are your recounts of officer training?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by sailormad, May 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi. I'm new to this site, and just wanted to know what your experiences of officer training was? What did you enjoy the most? What didn't you enjoy? How did you feel at the end?
    Anything at all, the good the bad the ugly! thanks!:)

2. I enjoyed the commissioning party, and in particular the eager-to-please young lady I brought to the ball!

There is a book called 'The Junior Officers' reading club' which gives a view on how one infantry officer found RMAS and his subsequent tours, which I'd recommend.

3. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It was a grand time, though IIRC I was made to march around a bit between beers.

4. I did IOT at the RAFC - it was a three-month course masquerading as a six-month one; most of the heavy drinking was done by the flight commanders, IIRC.

5. great,t hanks i'll try it now :mrgreen:

6. The joy of smashing my drill boots on Old College steps as we marched off!
    And lets not forget the June ball.

7. I'll never forget the moment a pace stick was prodded into my chest followed by a 140 decibel scream of MR BRYANTHEMEGALODON, THERE IS A PIECE OF SHIT ON THE END OF MY STICK........!!!

Quick as a flash I replied.............. :)

8. ....Very sorry, CSgt?

9. Kerching! Good read BTW

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

10. As I would imagine that as at the other end of the Pace Stick was about 230lb and 6'2" of Guards C/Sgt or WO you said nothing!

• Like Like x 1
  11. I am aspiring to join the Army as a Medical Officer.

12. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Well in that case, you'll do a PQO course, which is a wee bitty different from the one for the big boys, in that basically you can't fail it, no matter how crap you are.

Been there, still got the sweat shirt.

13. And is it still a weekend?

In all fairness its now longer than the 4 week cake and arse party that it was, to reflect current Operational experiences so at least you'll come out with some military knowledge.

Mind, watching the Gap Year Commissions bimble past having watched them start a few weeks earlier was painful...

14. If they join as an MSO it's the full course. Sandhurst is awful, I had to share a shell scrape with a chap who went to a polytechnic, urghh!

15. Yep.