What are your favourite thriller movies?

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by TamH70, Jun 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a penchant for David Fincher's work, apart from his effort at the Alien franchise, which blew chunks. Se7en and Fight Club have to be amongst the top five films ever made, let alone in the thriller genre.

I also love The Usual Suspects, by Bryan Singer - made before he became a corporate whore making the X-Men dreck. It is a film that to this day, puzzles me. I have read the Google, Wikipedia and Yahoo Answers ds solutions but too much is still shady for me to take anything for granted.

A while ago I would have rated Night Shymalan's The Sixth Sense, but he has done way too many movies with the same kind of twisty plot and has spoilt it somewhat.

The floor is open for comments and recommendations, if any.

2. Psycho.
  3. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Cape Fear (1962)The Original with Robert Mitchum and Polly Bergan.

Great film.
  4. Seven
    Lucky Number Slevin

* do these count as thrillers?
  5. Running Scared- the paedo house bit is mega creepy
  6. Oldboy.
  7. Silent Partner an old 70s movie with Elliott Gould Christopher Plumber as a baddie
  8. The Usual Suspects
    The Boys From Brazil
  9. Agreed, underrated classic.

I'd also add Wild Things the original and not any of the three crap straight to video/DVD sequels.

Sure it was hyped witht eh threesome scene with Denise Richards and Neve Campbell. Aside from that the actual plot twists keep you guessign until literally the last scene on just who is conning who.
  10. Night of the hunter
    Hunt for red october.....many more.
  11. Some good recommendations there, particularly the original version of Cape Fear, with Bob Mitchum and Gregory Peck.
    I watched the Nick Nolte/Robert De Niro effort with a tad more critical of an eye after seeing that one.

Ronin was a good effort but the way De Niro butchered the pronunciation of "Hereford" added a note of (unintended) comedy to a film with a lot of gunplay, double crossings and moody looks, and made me giggle unashamedly.

Oldboy is brilliant. Never seen one guy do so much damage to a whole crowd of other guys with one hammer and a severe case of having a doing.

I have to give a shout out to the original Robert Shaw version of "The Taking of Pelham 123" - and will admit to never wanting to see the remake.

I am not sure The Hunt for Red October is really a thriller, more of a recruitment advert for the USN Submarine service, but it was really cool to watch Sir Sean not even try to do a Baltic accent.

12. Asterix in Britain

Seriously though:-

The Fourth Protocol - Low budget, Good story, it didn't really keep you guessing but the story was told well. I did like Michael Caine's "skinhead-bashing" scene.

Also, Firefox - I could still quite happilly watch that now. - "You must think in Russian"!
  13. "Who signed for this van?" :D

Firefox is good but it could be great if Clint hadn't overdone being bewioldered by the espionage activities. Saved by the english thesps though.
    "Don't say anything. You'd only insult me."
  14. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Juggernaut - Richard Harris defusing a bomb on a cruise ship

Must confess the older the film the beter the plot

The new stuff has so many "homage's" to old stuff half the time you can see the twist coming a mile away
  15. From what I recall, Juggernaut was "loosely" based on a true story. I can't recall if it was SBS or SAS who did a parachute drop on a liner, but I remember seeing photies of the event in a book about Them a while ago.