Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

What are your biggest regrets in life?

I did that myself, with a beautiful Three Day eventer. I hit the booze Uber heavy, nearly cost me my career and my life on a couple of occasions.
If it wasn’t for a true brother and his wife reaching out to me when I was glued to the carpet, after yet another weekend bout of violence and alcohol poisoning, I’d be a ‘someone we used to know’.
That’s more or less a mirror image of me. Total self destruction when not focussed on MST.
I suppose the regret over how stupid I was to try and keep in touch on tour when I should’ve had a break clean - being indifferent to personal safety and well-being is not conducive to survival in Afghan. Thankfully I was very lucky.

From the start......

Not living in Germany for more than 2 years,

Taking the years of my youth for granted (l cannot count how many times l wish l could relive those years knowing then what l know now),

Working far too much when l was younger instead of going to watch live sports etc,

I wish l had never started Drinking,

Wasting far too much time and effort chasing females who couldn't have given a fxxx about me,

Getting involved with my ex-partner, (lf only l had known what was going to happen......)

Not getting/keeping fit,

Not moving away from this area when l was younger,

These are but a few of my greatest regrets......

Not going away with then girlfriend Rachel, her with the big breasts, when a mature student.
She was very accommodating, so instead a beer & curry night with mates, might have been saved as she now has 5 kids & is a super heavy weight. The beer was very good though.

Pictures of said big breasts, it's the rules

1. 5/5/73 I bottled heading south and taking a punt at an FA Cup Final ticket from a tout, little realising that nearly 50 years on, SAFC would have lost on every subsequent visit (it's currently about 9).
  2. My chosen regiment went off Chieftain just before I joined, and back just after I got fed up with toys for the boys, meaning I never fulfilled my dream of commanding a Chieftain.

Not digging deeper to understand the depression my first wife was suffering from, not helped by the fact i didn't understand my own illness at the time. We'd have stayed together & I suspect made an even better go of things than the preceding 15 years before depression got a hold of her.
Getting married a second time. Wish I hadn't done it. Love the lass to death but times when we've nearly split I've stayed cos of the agro of another divorce. I should have walked away a good few years ago.......but then I'd have come to regret that too.

On a lighter note, not pounding the fcuk out of the hot to trot 42 yr old secretary who was after it when I was 24/25 & in my first pukka job after the mob.

1. 5/5/73 I bottled heading south and taking a punt at an FA Cup Final ticket from a tout, little realising that nearly 50 years on, SAFC would have lost on every subsequent visit (it's currently about 9).
  2. My chosen regiment went off Chieftain just before I joined, and back just after I got fed up with toys for the boys, meaning I never fulfilled my dream of commanding a Chieftain.

My commiserations Alien. I still recall the 15th/19th heading off to Omagh and the 17/21st Lancers arriving at Fally. I stayed in Fally with the new regiment.

Hmm, I've always been a beliver in one thing leading to another, good or bad.
I say always, but, TBH, it's since I hit my 40's and started to see how thing really work.
I think I only have a couple...

1. Saying 'Marry me'. I can still hear the Emporer laughing as I signed the divorce papers 15 years later

2. Want to get posted to Tank transporting? That sounds like a great idea, as all my peer group are section 2 i/c's and picking up their second and I'm painting trailers. As decision making goes, it wasn't my finest hour.

Still, if I hadn't been married/divorced I wouldn't be with the woman I'm with now who had the hots for me back then, but I was (in my early thirties, just after I got out) a bit fond of the drink (having kids cured that) and we are much better together now as we've both got the stupid out of our systems.

And if I hadn't gone to tank transporting I wouldn't have needed to leave the army at my 12 year point, have a sucessful career and start my own business. I'd probably be driving a truck and looking like I was 60 at 40.
So it all kind of worked out in the end.