Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are your biggest regrets in life?

Women are like alcohol, the cause and the cure of most of lifes problems

Had you not moved out of Skelmersdale-chances are you'd have ticked that box years ago.

"You can take the bloke outta Skem but..."
WTF's wrong with Skem? I used to take many a Skem bird out for a night in UpHolland at the Beacon Inn as you could get served at 15 if you had a bit of bum fluff, and getting your fingers wet in the car park over the road was en vogue well before anyone thought of the term "dogging".

Are you denying that, when you first moved out of that area- you walted for a short while as a cloggie - thinking it would add an air of sophistication and mystique...all stemming from a bird misunderstanding when you told her you came from Up Holland?

Wigan is the height of sophistication to UpHolland birds. Maxime's was the nirvana of cheap shots and a fumble off the dance floor, all you had to do was claim you played for the Warriors and you were in. Times-a-changed around 1990 though when one of my mates went out with a bird who's brother was called "Richard". I could never work out the attraction to the lanky fop-haired tw@t until someone told me his surname was Ashcroft and he was in some shite band. A year later and The Verve were all anyone ever talked about. I had another mate at 6th Form called Vernon. He married way above his station too. I realised then you had to get out before it was too late. :D

Yes! Categorically. I don't even know where Upholland is, although I have heard of it. Alstublieft!

Do they shit in handbags there? :)
Outskirts of Skem on the Wigan side of the hill.

They tend to shit in buckets there rather than handbags as indoor plumbing was yet to arrive in the 1990s. I believe they may have electricity now.

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt
Turning down a ticket to see Led Zepplin at Knebworth, the rest is life.

I was there. On leave after my first NI tour. My older brother got me a ticket and a coach load of us (including some school friends I hadn’t see since I joined up) went.

Great line-up: Led Zeppelin, Todd Rundgren, Southside Johnny and the Asbury Dukes, Fairport Convention and, bizarrely, Chas and Dave - who went down a storm.

You’re right to regret it. Brilliant weekend.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I noticed a regret on the 'Fit Birds in Uniform' thread but it was probably for the best.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
On a lighter note, not pounding the fcuk out of the hot to trot 42 yr old secretary who was after it when I was 24/25 & in my first pukka job after the mob.
I did the very prim, proper and very well kept 48 year-old MILF secretary from work as a 30th birthday present to myself.

There was always a zone of silence around her in the office, in that everyone wondered kind of way. Always very polite, never swore... I was still young and dumb enough to not get the frisson between us. Until we were away at a conference and, almost too drunk to speak one night, I told her she was fabulous. And definitely too drunk to comprehend it when she said it was mutual. Nervous tension for the rest of the trip.

Anyway, cut to the flight home and the 'What do we do about it?' conversation. She lived with someone, so said that it was a one-time-only experience but she'd 'known the moment I walked through the door' on my first day in the job that something would happen between us. Cue the whole hotel-near-Gatwick-for-the-afternoon routine.

Prim and proper? There was me thinking that I'd be teaching her a few things. Let's just say that it was a very healthy score draw. Expert deep throater, obsessed with bottom-tonguing, swore like a trooper and came like an express train. Several hours of glorious, unadulterated filth.

Next day in the office, a coy smile, a 'good morning' and back to typing.

Where's the regret in this? Having a similar, missed chance, when I was 17, with the 42 year-old woman who lived next door who looked like Christina Hendricks.

Dammit.

I mean, dammit.

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt
Only a couple of minor regrets. Not doing my full 22 years to get a pension at 40. Just getting it now 20 years later.

When I left, I did my APTL exams at Bristol. EasyJet were recruiting ex-military pilots at the time and a couple of guys on my course joined, including one helicopter guy. I felt that my future was to continue flying helicopters rather than having to do a lot more training to go on to big jets.

I’ve had an enjoyable and interesting career flying offshore, police support and air ambulance helicopters but regret not taking the opportunity to fly airliners. Now forcibly retired at 60 I could still be flying airliners for another five years.

I’ve often had time on my hands to reflect upon my life and I’m happy with were I am, ergo all the decisions I’ve made were the right ones at the time, I’m 62 years old and very happy, healthy and secure, I’ve travelled extensively (not work) enjoyed some interesting relationships, I’ve never really tried hard at anything, had some cool jobs and a couple of businesses, I had my racing license and driven many cool cars and raced them, my interests included, shooting,diving and skiing (snow queen instructor) YES there are many promotions I’ve missed, many women I haven’t kissed, many mountains I should have climbed, What is most important to me is I’m very happy being me.
I honestly believe that instead of labeling your actions as regretful you should rather look at them as paths you didn’t take that eventually bought you to the place you are today.

Last edited:
I did the very prim, proper and very well kept 48 year-old MILF secretary from work as a 30th birthday present to myself.

There was always a zone of silence around her in the office, in that everyone wondered kind of way. Always very polite, never swore... I was still young and dumb enough to not get the frisson between us. Until we were away at a conference and, almost too drunk to speak one night, I told her she was fabulous. And definitely too drunk to comprehend it when she said it was mutual. Nervous tension for the rest of the trip.

Anyway, cut to the flight home and the 'What do we do about it?' conversation. She lived with someone, so said that it was a one-time-only experience but she'd 'known the moment I walked through the door' on my first day in the job that something would happen between us. Cue the whole hotel-near-Gatwick-for-the-afternoon routine.

Prim and proper? There was me thinking that I'd be teaching her a few things. Let's just say that it was a very healthy score draw. Expert deep throater, obsessed with bottom-tonguing, swore like a trooper and came like an express train. Several hours of glorious, unadulterated filth.

Next day in the office, a coy smile, a 'good morning' and back to typing.

Where's the regret in this? Having a similar, missed chance, when I was 17, with the 42 year-old woman who lived next door who looked like Christina Hendricks.

Dammit.

I mean, dammit.
Are you sure you didn't nick that scenario from one of the letters pages in Mayfair magazine.

When I left, I did my APTL exams at Bristol
Wasn't 'Bristol Ground School' was it?
I lost a bit of money to them. Stood me in good stead to spot a bigger rip-off coming from elsewhere though.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Are you sure you didn't nick that scenario from one of the letters pages in Mayfair magazine.
It’s 100 percent true. And, actually, the one-off became a second go at the office Christmas party a month or so later. I thought I’d got away with it as well, then a few years later, after I’d left, I was in Australia at another conference with a former colleague from that company.

We were sat having a few beers on the river-front in Melbourne and he told me he’d seen the two of us sneaking off upstairs... then grinned and called me a lucky sod.

The grin got even wider when I told him what a handful she was.

It’s 100 percent true. And, actually, the one-off became a second go at the office Christmas party a month or so later. I thought I’d got away with it as well, then a few years later, after I’d left, I was in Australia at another conference with a former colleague from that company.

We were sat having a few beers on the river-front in Melbourne and he told me he’d seen the two of us sneaking off upstairs... then grinned and called me a lucky sod.

The grin got even wider when I told him what a handful she was.
I was a bit skeptical as despite being handsome, hunky, charming and modest I just seemed to get the big fat ginger munter stalking me.

And it's never being one of my life regrets that they never managed to catch me.

Like a number on here, I do regret not joining the military, I was a spotty cadet when the twin towers came down and really got into the whole military thing but as many do lost interest over time and went on to uni and engineering. Undergone a mini-midlife crisis / career change and whilst I have an incredibly fun job playing with big UAVs, I still wish I was up there and flying the real things. Saying that, give it a couple of years and pilots will be like the lamp-lighters of old so I suppose I've got into the industry at just about the right time. Slightly off thread but my brother has just started as an Amazon contractor courier and a fair few qualified pilots are zipping around with your Xmas goodies silently weeping at J16 M25 as their colleagues roar overhead. Strange times we live in!

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt
pSlightly off thread but my brother has just started as an Amazon contractor courier and a fair few qualified pilots are zipping around with your Xmas goodies silently weeping at J16 M25 as their colleagues roar overhead. Strange times we live in!

A couple of friends are doing that; one from Ryanair and one from BA now delivering for Amazon. Whatever it takes to pay the bills.

Another pilot friend had some gentle ribbing a couple of years ago when he took a job at WizzAir, then a fledgling Easr European airline. Now one of the few still flying and expanding. He certainly has no regrets.

A couple of friends are doing that; one from Ryanair and one from BA now delivering for Amazon. Whatever it takes to pay the bills.

Another pilot friend had some gentle ribbing a couple of years ago when he took a job at WizzAir, then a fledgling Easr European airline. Now one of the few still flying and expanding. He certainly has no regrets.

Quite a few of them booked onto the BVLOS course I'm on in January. The way forward in my field is surveying WTGs offshore in Norway from home. It's not far off either!!

Latest Threads