Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are your biggest regrets in life?

Whining Civvy

War Hero
Joking and not joking, what do you regret the most?

Personally, I regret not being old enough to knock one out over Stevie Nicks in 1981. I also regret letting the one that got away get away despite her being keen and making it clear. If I was in the headspace that I'm in now back in the day then my life would have been very different.

Over to you. Let's just take "joining the RAF Regiment" as a given.

Getting married

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm waiting for someone to say "Not pulling out"

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
reading this thread

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Your Mum

Biggest regret? Hmmmm, i’ll need a moment.

When l was 19, l considered joining the French Foreign Legion. I instead enlisted into the British Army (the careers office was closer than France) and the rest as the say, is history.
I have often wished since, that l had done 5 years in the Legion......

Also, l wish l had taken the military more seriously as a career, instead of a 20 plus year social club......

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
1. Not taking the opportunity to see one of my former corporals the week before he committed suicide ("I'll pop up next month"). Not that it would have changed much probably, but it's one of those three in the morning circular arguments in my head, never to be resolved.

2. Fighting to get the first Mrs TMW back when she left me. And succeeding, Goddammit. Fortunately I came to my senses a year later and ditched the bitch.

3. Not working at school. I coulda bin a Gen'ral, I tellsya! Probably for the best though.

4. Erm, that's about it. Not too bad for 53 years of life, lived mostly as if it was a ten pfennig bet.

Yokel

LE
1. Trusting people who had already been proven to be less than honest, and expecting them and others to do the decent thing.

2. Trusting superiors to do the decent thing - LMF writ large.

3. Not going for the kill when I could have. Old Nick was right.

4. Not keeping my fitness training up when I was the most fit ever - I wish I had maintained it.

5. Not having the confidence to be fully open with interviewers and others when I was younger.

6. Not asking L****** out.

7. Not asking K*** out.

8. Not telling - but again it was something I said no to.

9. Waiting for a sunny day that never arrived.

1, Not keeping as fit as I was. Trying to get it back is a Regal PITA.

2. At my age (66) investing (and sort of continuing to invest) too much time on a particular woman who is pendulum-ish in her attitude to a potential relationship.

3. Learning far too late it is best to destroy your enemies.

4, Not using my academic side to its full potential.

5. Failing to realise, until I was much older, that my first impressions of people were generally correct.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

I’m with @Auld-Yin and Edith on this. Really, truthfully, I regret pretty much nothing. I did take the main road through town the other day to the golf club and got caught in traffic, should probably have taken the back road.

But for significant things, I wouldn’t change anything. Surely, some things could have worked out better at the time, but as long as one learns from them, it’s OK. I’ve been pretty fortunate over my life, and done things that others can only dream of. I’ve done them.

About 10 years ago, I was in a boozer where I drank as an 18 year old. At the bar were a couple of blokes I recognised. The same blokes I drank with at 18. At the same bar in the same pub, 25 years later. They bolt wheels on Astras at Vauxhall. It occurred to me that I lived 4000 miles away and took planes like others take buses, all over the world. That experience told me a lot about myself, and it’s stayed with me. I’ve been fortunate.

Those shitty days in the pouring rain on Otterburn, those days with little-Hitler dickheads screaming at me on the square, the fear of the unknown on Ops, the finality of divorce papers, the kick in the balls being made redundant, just speed bumps really. None of those became a big deal.

I’m 52 and mostly lived life like I wasn’t going to make 30. I ain’t done yet, but it might be tomorrow. And if it is, I’ll have had a good innings.

partyr

Old-Salt
I’m with @Auld-Yin and Edith on this. Really, truthfully, I regret pretty much nothing. I did take the main road through town the other day to the golf club and got caught in traffic, should probably have taken the back road.

But for significant things, I wouldn’t change anything. Surely, some things could have worked out better at the time, but as long as one learns from them, it’s OK. I’ve been pretty fortunate over my life, and done things that others can only dream of. I’ve done them.

About 10 years ago, I was in a boozer where I drank as an 18 year old. At the bar were a couple of blokes I recognised. The same blokes I drank with at 18. At the same bar in the same pub, 25 years later. They bolt wheels on Astras at Vauxhall. It occurred to me that I lived 4000 miles away and took planes like others take buses, all over the world. That experience told me a lot about myself, and it’s stayed with me. I’ve been fortunate.

Those shitty days in the pouring rain on Otterburn, those days with little-Hitler ********* screaming at me on the square, the fear of the unknown on Ops, the finality of divorce papers, the kick in the balls being made redundant, just speed bumps really. None of those became a big deal.

I’m 52 and mostly lived life like I wasn’t going to make 30. I ain’t done yet, but it might be tomorrow. And if it is, I’ll have had a good innings.
What he said, very similar.

Latest Threads