What are you reading right now?

syrup

LE
I've just finished Phillip Neame's "Penal Company in the Falklands" which describes the conflict and particularly the battles of Darwin/Goose Green and Wireless Ridge predominantly from the viewpoint of D Company, of which he was OC.

It has already been reviewed on this site so will just say that it is a superb book, well written with depreciating humour and what appears to be a balanced, seen from both sides accounts of some of the more controversial aspects of the conflict, particularly the actions the author was directly involved in.

What shines through throughout the book is the author's loyalty, affection and respect for his company who he admits were the battalion sin bin and his pride in their achievements. Where he criticises

If you haven't already seen it then you should watch the documentary with Major Neame and some of his men that was on BBC 2 recently.

A big recommendation from me for Philip Kerr's Hand of God. If a book about soccer can hold me enthralled it must be good. One more in the trilogy then its on to his standalone novels. I'm even thinking of sourcing his children's books in hardcover for my grand children.

Meanwhile I have made a good start on this, the next Spider Shepherd story:

View attachment 671855

Synopsis courtesy of Kobo:

The seventh book in the bestselling Dan 'Spider' Shepherd series.
Villains across London are being beaten, crippled and killed by vigilante cops. Crime rates are falling, but the powers that be want Dan 'Spider' Shepherd to bring the wave of rough justice to an end.
Shepherd has always known that there are grey areas in the fight against crime. And that sometimes justice gets lost in the process.
He has never been comfortable investigating cops, but working for the Serious Organised Crime Agency means that he has no choice. He has to go undercover with an elite group of officers who are at the sharp end of policing, risking their lives daily on the toughest streets in the Capital.
But Shepherd has hard decisions of his own to make when his family is in the firing line.
I've an idea where this might go, but I only put it down as I start to fall asleep.
“ Villains across London are being beaten, crippled and killed by vigilante cops “

Twitter villains and “ transphobes “? Lol ..

"Target England: The illustrated history of the Battle of Britain" by Derek Wood (1980). I picked this up at a charity shop in Weymouth yesterday for £2.00, and it is an absolute gem.

Many books on the Battle of Britain barely mention the role of the Observer Corps, despite its importance. I'll admit to disappointment when browsing Waterstones latest 500 page offering, checking the index and seeing three page references. Not this book. I could joke that this book should be titled "How the ROC won the Battle of Britain, with a little help from the RAF". Actually the ROC gets 24 mentions in the index.

The book itself is 10"×8" and hardback, and is the sort that many of us would have read as kids, or used as a main source for an O-Level History project. It has ten chapters, each of 2-3,000 words. The first five chapters cover the formation of the Luftwaffe, British preparations and the run up to the Battle. The last five chapters cover the Battle itself. There are also four appendices, covering German preparations for invasion, aircraft recognition, maps and order of battle.

This sounds pretty basic but there is barely a word wasted and at the end of each chapter is a collection of photos and photographed documents, all very well described. There are about 400 photos in the whole book, many of which were new to me. It certainly lives up to the "illustrated" part of the title.

There is definitely stuff in here that I hadn't heard elsewhere. After Dunkirk France refused to send 400 Luftwaffe prisoners to Britain. They were subsequently repatriated back to Germany to take part in the Battle. The Observer Corps was the first civilian organisation to be armed, taking precedence over the police. And in the event of them spotting parachutists, the Observer Corps were ordered to give the exact location to the Army and RAF, but only the general location to the police, along with a possible identification, re: friend or enemy. A copy of that order is included.

The author was an aviation writer for many years and was aviation correspondent for the Sunday Telegraph. He also co-authored "The Narrow Margin", one of the source books for the film "The Battle of Britain", and was an adviser on that film. He also wrote a history of the ROC and served as Chief Observer on Cuckfield post in Sussex. The post has been restored and is occasionally open to visitors.

nice guy

On ROPS
On ROPs
If anyone enjoys true crime this is a must brilliantly written about the adventures of a proper criminal.

1656168010286.png

nice guy

On ROPS
On ROPs
Please expand a bit more. Thank you.

Be happy to, i have read pretty much all the books that are regarded as the best crime books genre and i had never heard of him or this book and i would regard it as the best book i have read in the last few years. It is essentially a book about a relationship between a kind older Frenchman and a master criminal that goes through numerous different countries relating to the killings and adventures of Sobhra, he escaped from about 5 different jails around the world his last one was in India when with the help of an English guy he drugged the entire prison staff with a birthday cake and walked out. He is not a nice man but he is very interesting and highly intelligent.

Be happy to, i have read pretty much all the books that are regarded as the best crime books genre and i had never heard of him or this book and i would regard it as the best book i have read in the last few years. It is essentially a book about a relationship between a kind older Frenchman and a master criminal that goes through numerous different countries relating to the killings and adventures of Sobhra, he escaped from about 5 different jails around the world his last one was in India when with the help of an English guy he drugged the entire prison staff with a birthday cake and walked out. He is not a nice man but he is very interesting and highly intelligent.
Thank you.

Now banged up in Nepal on 2 convictions for murder there.

Charles Sobhraj

The link above gives some indication of his ruthless cunning nature.

I realise there are gaps in my literary experience, so now I have a (limited) chance I am catching up on the classics I should have read. Just got Moll Flanders and Tom Jones from the library to see how the early novel developed into the formulaic shite we read today.

Diko

Old-Salt
Rad Notice, Bill Browder’s true account of how he started investment in Eastern Europeans industry and became Putin’s number one enemy.

Poppy

LE
I realise there are gaps in my literary experience, so now I have a (limited) chance I am catching up on the classics I should have read. Just got Moll Flanders and Tom Jones from the library to see how the early novel developed into the formulaic shite we read today.
I haven't read either of those - are they enjoyable? I did Great Expectations for o level and detested it - I read for enjoyment not because I should

Issi

LE
I’m just on Royal Flash, after downloading the entire Flashman series onto my kindle. I must admit, and this may be heresy to some, but I wasn’t a huge fan of book one, but this one seems better.

Latest Threads