Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are you reading right now?

Just bought 3 Blandford colours series in a car boot sale. I used to have them when younger. I really liked that series....

20201025_193248.jpg

Just bought 3 Blandford colours series in a car boot sale. I used to have them when younger. I really liked that series....

View attachment 515048

The gent in the centre of the book in the top right is the late Dennis Banham RIP. That photo, circa 1971 ,was taken to advertise Irvins GB barometric opening device, known as a 'Hitefinder" which was the UK answer to the Russian KAP 3. The item in question is shown on the right shoulder as the photo appears.

Dennis was Guards Independent Coy. @Higgs_bosun

PJ O'Rourke's "All the Trouble in the World" from 1994. He comes out with this pearler:

"When are the world's political parties going to get appropriate symbols: snake, louse, jackal, outhouse, trash can, clown face, dildo, dollar bill with wings on it?"
PJ’s stuff is much less available in the U.K. This is a shame as he is hilarious about US politics, and tells us a lot about politics in general.
PJ O’Rourke was for a while a motoring journalist, and sent to test a thirsty car on a prolonged drive and said something like ‘we had a leisurely drive’. And was questioned just how much a car could drink on a wee drive.
Gives you an idea of the guy. At least one poster on here has a quote from PJ in their strap line..

endure

GCM
I'm reading Enrico Fermi's biography at the moment.

In 1942 he moves to Chicago and rents a house which has a BFO shortwave receiver in it.

Because he's an Italian citizen the FBI insist that his landlord remove it so he can't listen to any foreign broadcasts.

The reason he's moved to Chicago is to build the world's first working nuclear reactor as part of the Manhattan Project...

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Re-reading ' Dune ' by Frank Herbert.

They seem to have changed 'Jihad' to 'Crusade'. Surely it cannot be as bad as the Dino de Laurentis......thing.

( please let it be good, please let it be good.......)

Ambrose fails to hide his antipathy for anything British in any of his writing. He's been roundly criticised and pulled up for it, and the efficacy of his comments, many, many times by 'real' historians.
Pegasus Bridge is the only book of his that doesn't reek of Anglophobia, his other books are little better than hagiography of the men he wished he was.

tiger stacker

On ROPS
On ROPs
“The Scorpion’s Strike” by Anthony Riches, number 10 in “The Empire” series. intrique and subterfuge in the Roman court of Commodus.
Sitting waiting to get read, am stuck in a fiction book rut just now. Concentrating on non fiction with the 16th Canadian Scottish part of the 3rd Bde1st Div CEF. They were in the thick of it throughout Flanders and Picardy.

Yep the Blandford series were very good. Had the WWII army uniforms and Parachute Badges of the world.

Got them too but never managed to find the WW1 and Russian army ones !

On the other hand, I have several of the original paintings of "Army Uniforms since 1945" so I can't complain...

I'm reading Stephen Leather's new book, Slow Burn. As usual, the storyline isn't bad and it's an enjoyable read.

The only gripe I have with his books is that it seems every character in every book seems to have "slab-like teeth and nails bitten to the quick". It gets boring quickly. Also everyone always seems be nodding at each other at random times and the phrase "Secret Squirrel" is thrown around in each of his books like he's forgotten he's not ten and watching Danger Mouse.

Rant over.
Do they also sit in ‘Overstuffed chairs’?

Sexton Blake

War Hero
Started this last night and at over 650 pages it may take some time!

I have occasionally wondered why if Singapore, most of Europe etc, etc were tackled so quickly why Gibraltar wasn't so I am really looking forward to this one.

No spoilers please anyone!
vw%OzAzzT7yG9he1550aLg.jpg
fullsizeoutput_690.jpeg

Just finished Troubled Blood, the latest JK Galbraith/Robert Rowling book in the Cormoran Strike series, on Kindle. It follows the usual format, but I enjoyed it all the same, with lots of false flags, blind alleys and that frisson of love interest.

4.5/5 bloody knives.

And Alamein to Zem Zem, Keith Douglas' diary of his time with the Sherwood Foresters commanding a Crusader tank through the North African campaign. It's not high drama, but is a poignant account from a man who later lost his life in Normandy with the same regiment.

4/5 breakdowns and tragedy.

I've just wasted about 5 hrs over 3 days reading a 'recommended book'.

'The Red Effect' by Harvey Black.

So similar to other 'what ifs' about the Sovs prep and invasion of the FRG, interespersed with what I assume was his experience of 'Flag Tours' in Berlin (highly dramatised).

Much to much detail about soviet equipment, not enough about the human element and, I would love to meet him and tell him...a Range Rover will piss all over a UAZ 469 on any surface and, an Int Corps Snco has never been in charge of a Mission Tour. I might also add..shit tour drills across the board ! :rolleyes:

I've just wasted about 5 hrs over 3 days reading a 'recommended book'.

'The Red Effect' by Harvey Black.

So similar to other 'what ifs' about the Sovs prep and invasion of the FRG, interespersed with what I assume was his experience of 'Flag Tours' in Berlin (highly dramatised).

Much to much detail about soviet equipment, not enough about the human element and, I would love to meet him and tell him...a Range Rover will piss all over a UAZ 469 on any surface and, an Int Corps Snco has never been in charge of a Mission Tour. I might also add..shit tour drills across the board ! :rolleyes:
Haven't read it, don't know the author, but from the blurb and what you say above, if he describes a Berlin Flag Tour, they were commanded by Int Corps SNCOs (in a ropy old Range cast from BRIXMIS, not to be trusted to wheeze its way out of the Olympic Stadium compound).

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm reading " the time travelers guide to Medieval England" by Ian Mortimer. published by vintage .

A great easy to read visit to olde England well worth the view. He describes the villages so well that you can almost smell the woodfires. Sections include, what to wear , the law food hygiene and so forth.
I was amazed to see that folks washed their hands and faces regularly and in warm weather bathed as often as they could . A very good interpretation of life pre and post plague.

Haven't read it, don't know the author, but from the blurb and what you say above, if he describes a Berlin Flag Tour, they were commanded by Int Corps SNCOs (in a ropy old Range cast from BRIXMIS, not to be trusted to wheeze its way out of the Olympic Stadium compound).

The ex-Brixmis RR's, weren't CAST and, when refurbed and released to other units, only had 65,000 kms on the clock... they took a special type of driver to get the best out of them. I know of a number of RCT drivers from 62 Sqn RCT and, members of the Int Corp. who pretended to be Brixmis whilst on Flag Tours...shall say no more. :mrgreen:

Wake up and smell the shite. Excellent and evocative book. There are more in the series.
Edit: This was meant as a reply to Time traveller's guide etc. Halfway down some Pinot Grigio.

Latest Threads