What are you reading right now?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
latest in “Rivers of London” series by Ben Arronovich “,

YM
Bless. I know that bit, it was "taxed by higher comd" I didn't get...

I recently read ‘Rumpole of the Bailey’ by John Mortimer. Very, very good. Also read a lot of crime fiction recently. Ian Rankin, Morse and Frost series etc.
Dunno why, crime fiction is not normally my thing. For one, I hate the cliches: when was the last time anyone ‘punched’ a number into a phone? Dull.
The original Morse and Frost books and stories are really very bleak. If I want bleak I can look out my kitchen window.
Also re-read some John Steinbeck (East of Eden: epic).
The bookworm’s search for the perfect read continues.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I recently read ‘Rumpole of the Bailey’ by John Mortimer. Very, very good. Also read a lot of crime fiction recently. Ian Rankin, Morse and Frost series etc.
Dunno why, crime fiction is not normally my thing. For one, I hate the cliches: when was the last time anyone ‘punched’ a number into a phone? Dull.
The original Morse and Frost books and stories are really very bleak. If I want bleak I can look out my kitchen window.
Also re-read some John Steinbeck (East of Eden: epic).
The bookworm’s search for the perfect read continues.
I read all the Rumpole books many years ago. Excellent stuff.

I know what you mean about crime fiction, there's very little truly original stuff out there, and some can indeed be fairly bleak.

Have you tried Craig Russell's "Jan Fabel" series? They're gruesome but in an original way. Also would recommend John Connolly's Charlie Parker series. Of course my choices are very subjective, but that's how it should be, we can't all like the same stuff, and it would be boring if we did.

With both of the above, it helps if you read them in order.

Not sure how I'll survive Waterstones shutdown due to Covid-19. There's few options in Barrow for non-Kindle books and now, of all times, I could have done with stocking up.

I have a Kindle but sometimes you just need a good paperback.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Not sure how I'll survive Waterstones shutdown due to Covid-19. There's few options in Barrow for non-Kindle books and now, of all times, I could have done with stocking up.

Amazon?

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Amazon don't let me rummage before I buy!
Fair point. I tend to only buy what I "know", i.e. known authors, although in the past I've got ones recommended on here and not been disappointed.

I force myself to read them and get something out of them to get me money's worth. ;-)

Although you can't rummage, you can read a synopsis and reviews.

I love his books - not enough of them!
Three more books were written by David Lagercrantz (The Girl in the Spider's Web, The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye and The Girl Who Lived Twice) but I have yet to open them. There is also There Are Things I Want You to Know about Stieg Larsson by his ex-girlfriend Eva Gabrielsson if you want to know more about the original author. He was certainly a bit of a lefty, and a mortarman in his national service!

Poppy

LE
Three more books were written by David Lagercrantz (The Girl in the Spider's Web, The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye and The Girl Who Lived Twice) but I have yet to open them. There is also There Are Things I Want You to Know about Stieg Larsson by his ex-girlfriend Eva Gabrielsson if you want to know more about the original author. He was certainly a bit of a lefty, and a mortarman in his national service!
I was referring to John Lawton

Lewis Percy
By Anita Brookner.

testing read for me, but I have all the time in the world.

9780140138924-us.jpg

The wife gave me this today, it should keep me busy :

IMG_6261.jpeg

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
1585050193430.png

Have just started this about a murder in East Berlin during the Cold War. Interesting start, with the interplay between the Stasi and the local murder comission. Very Bernie Guntheresque.

97367803-501B-4334-9179-F0F4014D053D.jpeg

Currently sat in a queue to pick up my prescription from Boots - it doesn’t open for another two hours, so I’ve brought along one of my Christmas presents to keep me company. Thank goodness the weather is fine!

Asda Tesco Sainsbury’s all sell books granted it’s often a in the moment book, better than buying every magazine though

Asda Tesco Sainsbury’s all sell books granted it’s often a in the moment book, better than buying every magazine though
Yeah. I've dug out the Kindle and had a splarge. My shelves are going to thank me for not further burdening them :p

Reading the excellent 'The Shipwreck Hunter' by David Mearns. Very interesting indeed as it's following on from Tony Booth's excellent 'Admiralty Salvage in Peace and War 1906–2006: Grope, Grub and Tremble'.

I recommend both.

Latest Threads