What are you reading right now?

Chop

Clanker
View attachment 427835
'THE BIG SHOW is as close as you'll ever get to fighting for your life from the cockpit of a Spitfire or Typhoon. Perhaps the most viscerally exciting book ever written by a fighter pilot.' Rowland White

Pierre Clostermann DFC was one of the oustanding Allied aces of the Second World War. A Frenchman who flew with the RAF, he survived over 420 operational sorties, shooting down scores of enemy aircraft while friends and comrades lost their lives in the deadly skies above Europe

Very good
i just read this. excellent book. The casualty rates of the typhoon pilots is mind boggling.

View attachment 427835
'THE BIG SHOW is as close as you'll ever get to fighting for your life from the cockpit of a Spitfire or Typhoon. Perhaps the most viscerally exciting book ever written by a fighter pilot.' Rowland White

Pierre Clostermann DFC was one of the oustanding Allied aces of the Second World War. A Frenchman who flew with the RAF, he survived over 420 operational sorties, shooting down scores of enemy aircraft while friends and comrades lost their lives in the deadly skies above Europe

Very good
I too have enjoyed this book on more than one occasion. However the author had a reputation for claiming the credit of others and I have read that there are some serious line-shooting episodes in the book. Notwithstanding that it does detail the huge risk in ground attack sorties and the crushing tiredness suffered by the pilots towards the end of that war.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just finished this. An author that I do enjoy. His characters are interesting, there is always some humour and usually a bit of mindless violence.
Good book.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Just finished Le Carres latest Agent running in the field. Really enjoyed it and the Brexit Trump bits in it, (far from making some political point that some disagree with in here). Makes perfect sense when you get to the far end.
Great read.

Mufulira

Old-Salt
Just finished Le Carres latest Agent running in the field. Really enjoyed it and the Brexit Trump bits in it, (far from making some political point that some disagree with in here). Makes perfect sense when you get to the far end.
Great read.
As you state both Brexit and Trump figure largely (bigly) in Le Carre's output as demons in his estimation but the constant beating of the drum does tend to diminish the tale somewhat

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
As you state both Brexit and Trump figure largely (bigly) in Le Carre's output as demons in his estimation but the constant beating of the drum does tend to diminish the tale somewhat
I would have thought so too if that’s all it was there for, but it’s not. I did wonder when it first started, ‘what’s this all about’, but at the end of things it makes sense.

There’s an audience outside of this place not up to their nuts in Brexit and Trump.

TamH70

MIA
Currently reading "Point of Impact", the first novel in the Bob Lee Swagger series written by Stephen Hunter.

I will never ever forgive Hollywood for both ******* up the adaptation by needlessly updating it, and binning Robert Redford in favour of Marky ******* Mark Wahlberg.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Currently reading "Point of Impact", the first novel in the Bob Lee Swagger series written by Stephen Hunter.

I will never ever forgive Hollywood for both ******* up the adaptation by needlessly updating it, and binning Robert Redford in favour of Marky ******* Mark Wahlberg.
Totally agree with you. The original story is superb, and yes; I know that being Vietnam orientated it ages the story a bit, but it sets the series up for the sequels.
Love his books. Very good one called Pale Horse Coming, which features Bob Lee's father, Earl. And , 'Dirty White Boys' is excellent.

Totally agree with you. The original story is superb, and yes; I know that being Vietnam orientated it ages the story a bit, but it sets the series up for the sequels.
Love his books. Very good one called Pale Horse Coming, which features Bob Lee's father, Earl. And , 'Dirty White Boys' is excellent.
I felt that the film made a right mess of the ending - the book wrapped it up neatly - the film turned the Swagger character into a cold-blooded murderer. It could have been so more easily done. If you ever watch the trailer for the film you will see a scene that appears nowhere in the film as it was released. There is an interview with the scriptwriter who says that it was changed a few times. Incidentally, Stephen Hunter was associated with the film and he had no issues with the update of the Swaggers background.

I felt that the film made a right mess of the ending - the book wrapped it up neatly - the film turned the Swagger character into a cold-blooded murderer. It could have been so more easily done. If you ever watch the trailer for the film you will see a scene that appears nowhere in the film as it was released. There is an interview with the scriptwriter who says that it was changed a few times. Incidentally, Stephen Hunter was associated with the film and he had no issues with the update of the Swaggers background.
I think Hunter had a cameo role in at as well.
Hunter seems to be an Anglophile, and is 'responsible' for my favourite fictional character name, Dick Puller.

Yes enjoyed most of his books the one about Bob Lee's grandfather is really enjoyable

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Just started the first of the Inspector Montalbano series by Andrea Camilleri (another author I sadly knew nothing about until I read his obituary!).

I fear this series may become addictive ...

Latest Threads