What are you reading right now?

Awol

LE
SAS Ghost Patrol by Damien Lewis. The story of a Special Forces (LRDG, SIG, SOE) attack on Tobruk in 1942.

The idea was to sneak into Tobruk disguised as German troops in lorries carrying supposed British POWs. Once inside the wire the plan was to secure the port for subsequent RN/Marine landings and then to release 32,000 allied prisoners to assist in the takeover.

Real Boy's Own stuff, with incredible heroism shown by all.
Recommended.

View attachment 409862

This. Stalin, The Court of the Red Tsar, by Simon Sebring FIAT 131 Twin-Cam Supermiraiori (ISBN 9780753817667)

Sent to me by my ex Katie who, bless her, is still trying to educate me. Katie is of German-Jewish extraction, her great-grandfather having got the family out of Germany in the nick of time. She has a great interest in this sort of stuff.

Anyway, about the book. I'm about 100 pages into this weighty tome (actually they all weigh the same, I use a tablet). 888 pages. To be honest, I never took this guy too seriously, given that his wife is called Father Christmas.

I was wrong, this chap knows his stuff. Very readable and engaging. Starts off with a prologue of the events leading up to Joe's wife topping herself. Turns out he was a legendary shagger as well. Early days of Kruschev are covered, crushing the Kulaks, armoured trains.

All stuff I already knew, but put together and related in an excellent manner. Damned good read so far.
His “Jerusalem” was another cracking read.

image.jpeg

I think he's an ok writer but everyone of his books seems to rush the ending.

ches

LE
I picked this up at the local library

Very new by the looks of it & hadn't heard anything about it. One chapter in & I'm struggling to work out how the feck it got published. It seems to be pretty shot through with 'inaccuracies' & some dodgy use of terminology if the bloke is supposed to be a Brit & ex-Yorks Regt. A quick google throws up Yorks weren't formed until 06 (which surprised me, thought they were a very old regt) yet our 'hero' is supposed to have spent 6 years with them before spending over 10 years on the CP circuit. Dates don't therefore add up unless some artistic license is in play. Makes no mention of Telic or Herrick yet does of 2 Banner tours.

I picked this up at the local library

Very new by the looks of it & hadn't heard anything about it. One chapter in & I'm struggling to work out how the feck it got published. It seems to be pretty shot through with 'inaccuracies' & some dodgy use of terminology if the bloke is supposed to be a Brit & ex-Yorks Regt. A quick google throws up Yorks weren't formed until 06 (which surprised me, thought they were a very old regt) yet our 'hero' is supposed to have spent 6 years with them before spending over 10 years on the CP circuit. Dates don't therefore add up unless some artistic license is in play. Makes no mention of Telic or Herrick yet does of 2 Banner tours.
Looks like something aimed at the completely gullible, spotty civvy, gaming enthusiast.

Looks like something aimed at the completely gullible, spotty civvy, gaming enthusiast.
Perfect for a fair slice of the membership of this site then!

Hippohunter

Old-Salt
The Meteor Boys by Steve Bond. Read a few of "The Boys" books before and found them fascinating. Full of anecdotes and photos from the people who actually, flew, serviced and operated them. Highly recommended

Hippohunter

Old-Salt
View attachment 409979

It's an excellent read,funny,sad and entertaining and he's scathing in his opinion of Mark Clark.
Clark could have cut off 90% of the German forces and ended the war in Italy if he had not gone Gor the "glory" of capturing Rome on 4th June instead. His hubris and ego cost thousands of lives over the next year. As it was it was all for nought as by the time the news got to the press D Day was all over the front pages and Rome not given a second thought. Clark should have been sacked.

Just had a bit of a session and finished Past Tense, Lee Child's 2018 Jack Reacher offering. Thoroughly enjoyed it even though I have problems getting the after image of Tom Cruise out of my head nowadays.

I also read Michael Connelly's 2018 Bosch and Renée Ballard combined offering, Dark Sacred Night. As always, even though his books follow a sort of formula I enjoyed the Bosch character who is ageing along with the rest of us. It is also good to see him sliding in Renée Ballard who will also be working with Bosch in the next installment later this year.

I put down the Don Winslow book The Force as it was not doing much for me. I may go back to it as I have read some of his stuff previously, it is just that this seems a bit off.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just had a bit of a session and finished Past Tense, Lee Child's 2018 Jack Reacher offering. Thoroughly enjoyed it even though I have problems getting the after image of Tom Cruise out of my head nowadays.

I also read Michael Connelly's 2018 Bosch and Renée Ballard combined offering, Dark Sacred Night. As always, even though his books follow a sort of formula I enjoyed the Bosch character who is ageing along with the rest of us. It is also good to see him sliding in Renée Ballard who will also be working with Bosch in the next installment later this year.

I put down the Don Winslow book The Force as it was not doing much for me. I may go back to it as I have read some of his stuff previously, it is just that this seems a bit off.
I like Connolly's books, and the new character is fitting in well.
I've just read this, it has a female lead and is very good indeed. Not read this author before but I am now getting more books by him.
1565715302565.png

SAS Ghost Patrol by Damien Lewis. The story of a Special Forces (LRDG, SIG, SOE) attack on Tobruk in 1942.

The idea was to sneak into Tobruk disguised as German troops in lorries carrying supposed British POWs. Once inside the wire the plan was to secure the port for subsequent RN/Marine landings and then to release 32,000 allied prisoners to assist in the takeover.

Recommended.
No mention of Cpt Hudson Col Greene or Cpt Peppard?

Thanks for the post I’ll lookout for it

I like Connolly's books, and the new character is fitting in well.
I've just read this, it has a female lead and is very good indeed. Not read this author before but I am now getting more books by him.
View attachment 410276
Yeah, Baldacci sort of slipped off my reading list, even though I do like his books, and I really need to catch up on about 4 years worth with his work.

Recommended.
I remember reading an account of an SAS patrol that sneaked into Tobruk with Stirling along. Once they were in the city and laagered up Stirling used to go for evening walks along the seafront. Many of the more freespirited German and British officers all used to wear a mish mash of khaki with bits of uniform rather than complete uniform. Whilst Stirling was enjoying his walks he would regularly bump into German officers doing likewise and exchange a nod and a pleasant "guten abend", no one being any the wiser.

Awol

LE
I remember reading an account of an SAS patrol that sneaked into Tobruk with Stirling along. Once they were in the city and laagered up Stirling used to go for evening walks along the seafront. Many of the more freespirited German and British officers all used to wear a mish mash of khaki with bits of uniform rather than complete uniform. Whilst Stirling was enjoying his walks he would regularly bump into German officers doing likewise and exchange a nod and a pleasant "guten abend", no one being any the wiser.
In the book I mentioned, the actual raiders on Tobruk were the SOE Commando, the LRDG and the SIG. Stirling was attacking Benghazi with the SAS at the same time as a diversionary measure. This wasn't covered in the book at all, other than a passing mention.... perhaps the author has another book planned to cover that.

What surprised me was that none of the captured combatants were executed under Hitler's 'Commando Order'.

In the book I mentioned, the actual raiders on Tobruk were the SOE Commando, the LRDG and the SIG. Stirling was attacking Benghazi with the SAS at the same time as a diversionary measure. This wasn't covered in the book at all, other than a passing mention.... perhaps the author has another book planned to cover that.

What surprised me was that none of the captured combatants were executed under Hitler's 'Commando Order'.
It was a book read a long time ago, and I am pretty sure it was Tobruk, might have been Benghazi. What I do remember though is that it was not a raid it was just a sneak and peek which is one reason he did his evening stroll's - hide in plain sight and gather intel. The Germans felt secure enough not to question another chap simply out for a walk.

There was a documentary on telly (Yesterday channel maybe) about the SAS and Stirling and the Raid was mentioned. Pretty interesting.

Edit- I think it was Operation Agreement.

Last edited:

sand_rat

Old-Salt
Berlin is excellent. Leaves grim things in your head, though.
Im reading Berlin at the moment, so dont tell me how it ends . . . Have read a few AB books now becoming something of a fan, 'Stalingrad' is, in my view fantastic and worth anyone's time to read it.

Latest Threads