What are you reading right now?

I've also downloaded Robin Hobb's Assassins Apprentice series on the recommendation of a friend. Anyone have any experience of her work?

Greeks Bearing Gifts, Philip Kerr's final Bernie Gunther novel. 3/4 through, riveted as always.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
@Alec_Lomas - hey mate, hope all well. Care to submit a review to Auld_Yin ? Be interested.

Re-reading 'Tinker,Taylor,Soldier.Spy' in a venerable hardback edition with original tacky dustjacket.

All terribly pre- Peace Dividend. ( You cahnts... ' Discharged due to the exigencies of the Service' my hairy ass)

I wish Le Carré would do a similar insiders piece on Vauxhall Cross.

I don't know if anyone uses this site, info@bookbub.com but it is worth it for the free or very cheap books that are featured daily in an e mail. I've recently acquired the book of the film 'The Outlaw Josey Wales' and it is excellent. Seems the film stayed very close to the book.
Good tip....'
" Aintcha gonna bury 'em Josie?"
PAUSE. JOSIE SPITS
" Nope...buzzards gotta eat, same as worms..."

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I’m on chapter 4 of a book that is hideously awful, I won’t name it just yet but I thought it was bad after the second chapter and it has got progressively worse.
As a rule how long does a reader of books on here give a book a chance? I’m duty bound to try and finish this one. Do you make your mind up after a chapter, maybe even after the first page? Some books just don’t have it, others really engage me from half way down the first page and by the second chapter I find it hard to put down, I hate a bad book and just wonder how they published or indeed who writes up the splendid two or three line attention grabbing reviews they put on the cover.
As the saying goes, never judge a book by the cover!

I’m on chapter 4 of a book that is hideously awful, I won’t name it just yet but I thought it was bad after the second chapter and it has got progressively worse.
As a rule how long does a reader of books on here give a book a chance? I’m duty bound to try and finish this one. Do you make your mind up after a chapter, maybe even after the first page? Some books just don’t have it, others really engage me from half way down the first page and by the second chapter I find it hard to put down, I hate a bad book and just wonder how they published or indeed who writes up the splendid two or three line attention grabbing reviews they put on the cover.
As the saying goes, never judge a book by the cover!
Ditch it. 4 chapters is more than most will take.
Please name it so others can steer clear

Isaac Asimov's Foundation trilogy. I'd forgotten how comforting that sort of space opera was.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Ditch it. 4 chapters is more than most will take.
Please name it so others can steer clear
It's for a review on here, so as I say I'm duty bound, but it's called The Death Chamber, none of the characters are believable and more than one page was dedicated to passing biscuits around, digestives I think, and drinking tea whilst they had a briefing on an old double murder case, all this in a cleaning companies office where the owner of said company is also a private detective who solves old cases.
Talk about Murder she Wrote and Miss Marple, it's driving me nuts! Just wait for the review, that's if I don't jump from a multi story car park first, it's a bloody big book!

It's for a review on here, so as I say I'm duty bound, but it's called The Death Chamber, none of the characters are believable and more than one page was dedicated to passing biscuits around, digestives I think, and drinking tea whilst they had a briefing on an old double murder case, all this in a cleaning companies office where the owner of said company is also a private detective who solves old cases.
Talk about Murder she Wrote and Miss Marple, it's driving me nuts! Just wait for the review, that's if I don't jump from a multi story car park first, it's a bloody big book!
You've just written your review. Now bin the book.

For a bit flippant reading, I'm going back through the 'Campion' series (Margery Allingham) : Albert Campion - Wikipedia

Neither a Holmes nor a '39 Steps' Hannay, he might best be described as Bertie Wooster with a brain and courage. The earlier books have not aged well, it has to be said.

. . . still, how can you diss a chap who lives above a police station at 17 Bottle St and has a recovering burglar as a manservant, one delightfully named Magersfontein Lugg?
I like these, along with Dorothy L Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey books, although I'm currently reading a Ngaio Marsh Roderick Alleyn mystery

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I like these, along with Dorothy L Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey books, although I'm currently reading a Ngaio Marsh Roderick Alleyn mystery
Try th 'Dover ' books by Joyce Porter. Very Christie-ish except for the titular character -Inspector Wilfred Dover - who is foul tempered, lazy, rude and incompetent. They are very amusing. Also, perhaps try the Inspector Hobbes stories;
Hobbes is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,unhumanm, but they are brilliant books and very amusing to read.

Given the growing unease with Germany's increasing militarism under Hitler, it will probably come as no surprise to learn that in March, 1936, the post of Minister for Coordination of Defence was established. Part of his remit was the preparation of a War Book, which was a summary of all the measures which had to be taken by all government departments to enable the smooth transition from peace to war. This resulted in there being a sound bureaucratic infrastructure in place when war was finally declared, including plans for dealing with a German invasion.

taken from Foxtrot40s review of
Defending Island Britain.

I have long taken the view that the war was preplanned and that only the causus was required. That said the means to not only oversee the Island was not as haphazzard as the newsreels of the time would have us believe.
A very enlightening book

Attachments

Just started to read 'Why we sleep' by Matthew Walker. Turns out it's a bit more complicated than just closing your eyes and dropping off. Sainsburys are selling it for a fiver. Recommended.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
"Executioner: Pierrepoint", the autobiography of our most famous "hangman". I have a particular interest as my father worked for the Home Office Prisons Department and met Pierrepoint more than once. A fascinating history, if one bears in mind that the author was a man of his time and did not necessarily represent modern attitudes! Well worth a read.