• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

What are you reading right now?

Selous Scouts Top Secret War by Lt. Col Ron Reid Daly as told to Peter Stiff.

Bought second-hand and only just getting to the part where the regiment is being formed. However, the opening chapters are fascinating and gives a fair insight into why the Rhodesians lost the conflict and it has nothing to do with any failing on the part of the author.

I have previously read "The Elite" which is about the Rhodesian SAS and came to the opinion that the upper echelons of the Rhodesian armed forces were more British than the British (photographs of SAS members in full ceremonial regalia, swords and creases you could slice cheese on) and on reading the disdain of those upper echelons for a pseudo terrorist campaign or the formation of a regiment given to such ungentlemanly activities I am not surprised. What was necessary came too late. I exclude Gen. Walls from that generalisation.

I am well aware that we have members on these boards who participated in the bush war and who may vehemently disagree with me and I would most certainly be interested in their views.

Empire Games by Charles Stross.

A very small group of people are able to cross-over from one Earth into an alternative one. This group of people had made their living, in part, by smuggling heroin across the dimension/timeline. All goes well for them until someone blows up the White House with a nuke.... told from four or so people's perspective across the timelines, well worth reading. Stross is being his usual silly and darkly inventive self.

Recommended if you like SciFi with a twist and humour.

Just finished London The Biography by Peter Ackroyd. Enjoyable and interesting but far too long. Starting into the latest, and as it turns out, final Bernie Gunther novel- Greeks Bearing Gifts.

The first book in John Ringo's "Paladin of Shadows" series, "Ghost". Quite entertaining. Though a scene where a SEAL team gets inserted into Syria via a B-2 Spirit bomber strains the bounds of credulity just a tiny bit. Even though it would make a really kick-ass scene in a Hollywood movie.

Just finished Team Yankee for 7000th time, still my favorite.

Just started the Chieftains. Questions for anybody who can answer? Does this take place in the same WW3 time frame that was created by Sir. John Hacket? I know Team Yankee did, can't tell if the Chieftains does at this point yet. The author seems to do a pretty good job writing about your side, not so much the American portion.

Pretty brutal so far, just got to the point where A squadron was wiped out by massed arty and air strikes.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
'The Terror' by Dan Simmons. It seems that there is a television series based on this book, or mayhap the book evolved from the series, I don't know. I haven't been able to watch any of the televisied bits as it appears to be on a BT- Amc channel, and that is not included on my 400 and something ones on sky.
Anyhoo, the book; inspired by a true story, this is the account of an ill-fated expedition to find the famed - or notorious - north-west passage from the Atlantic to the Pacific oceans, supposedly somewhere in the far north beyond Canada. The two ships involved - HMS Terror and HMS Erebus - are trapped in the ice, not that it was unexpected, but theye seem to be trapped in the wrong place to that which they had aimed for. With me so far?

It's not a pleasant experience at the best of times, with temperatures dropping to -60 (in old money) and rations being a tad boring. It's made just that bit more uncomfortable by something eating members of the crews, and taking bites out of the hull of the ship, as well. This creature is rather more than a polar bear, in fact it is a "spirit monster" with some disturbing traits.
The book is quite good, covering, as it does, a good deal of the real history involved and featuring a plethora of polar explorers. The writing style can be a little archaic, but overall it's fascinating.

'The Terror' by Dan Simmons. It seems that there is a television series based on this book, or mayhap the book evolved from the series, I don't know. I haven't been able to watch any of the televisied bits as it appears to be on a BT- Amc channel, and that is not included on my 400 and something ones on sky.
Anyhoo, the book; inspired by a true story, this is the account of an ill-fated expedition to find the famed - or notorious - north-west passage from the Atlantic to the Pacific oceans, supposedly somewhere in the far north beyond Canada. The two ships involved - HMS Terror and HMS Erebus - are trapped in the ice, not that it was unexpected, but theye seem to be trapped in the wrong place to that which they had aimed for. With me so far?

It's not a pleasant experience at the best of times, with temperatures dropping to -60 (in old money) and rations being a tad boring. It's made just that bit more uncomfortable by something eating members of the crews, and taking bites out of the hull of the ship, as well. This creature is rather more than a polar bear, in fact it is a "spirit monster" with some disturbing traits.
The book is quite good, covering, as it does, a good deal of the real history involved and featuring a plethora of polar explorers. The writing style can be a little archaic, but overall it's fascinating.
The TV series is quite good actually. I would recommend watching that at some point as well!

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The TV series is quite good actually. I would recommend watching that at some point as well!
I will, if I can ever find it.

Just finished Team Yankee for 7000th time, still my favorite.

Just started the Chieftains. Questions for anybody who can answer? Does this take place in the same WW3 time frame that was created by Sir. John Hacket? I know Team Yankee did, can't tell if the Chieftains does at this point yet. The author seems to do a pretty good job writing about your side, not so much the American portion.

Pretty brutal so far, just got to the point where A squadron was wiped out by massed arty and air strikes.
I'm not familiar with the Sir John Hacket created timeline, but Cheiftains is set in an end of Cold War WW3 scenario.

I will, if I can ever find it.
A friend told that if you Google 123movies and the name of the tv prog/film, sometimes you'll get lucky and can watch it online. Annoyingly, pops up sometimes appear and new tabs are opened just close them when you click on the play button, happily, they close after the appropriate clicks. Like I said, a friend told me and I believe The Terro might be on Server 2.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Mrs S found this so got 1st dibs and loved it and then it was my turn and so did I:

£1 in charity shop, ppbk of 'The Churchill Factor' by Boris Johnson, 2014. Basic bio and background history apart, which are very well done, an absolutely first-rate analysis of WSC's character with particular emphasis on WSC as a risk-taker from early youth with a touch of small-man syndrome and almost limitless self-belief. Exhaustively researched and then beautifully and pacily written (except for 'psychic' for 'psychological' at one point), delivered through a political prism of one who understands that, and the HoC in particular. Boris is in awe of his subject but then so am I of the man who in my early childhood saved the world. Useful emphasis on WSC's role as a social reformer (OA Pensions, unemployment insurance pre-WW1), and a number of uninformed anti-WSC canards fully, forensically laid to rest.

Aboslutely ace.

Bar a couple of naval bits which landlubber civvy Boris fluffs, but ditto readership won't spot.

Press reviews - 'bravura', 'sizzles', 'riveting' etc. Seaweed concurs (big of him, eh?).

Started reading the book behind the new 12 Strong film thats out or due out. US Sf deployment in Oct 01 to galvanise & assist the northern alliance in AFG. Was originally published as the Horse Soldiers.

I'm halfway through it & its written for brain dead yanks who love all the god, country family hee ha sh1te. As a limey its so sickly sweet & sugar coated with heroic descriptions of each rootin' tootin' god fearing WARRIOR you sometimes want to vom.

On the other hand when the author does delve into the tactical , logistical & technical side of the story its very interesting. The book would be less than half its size though. Glad i didn't pay full dollar for it.

Haven't posted for a while, but I have been reading away. My current non-fiction eBook is:

queen-of-spies.jpg

And my current fiction read is:

flashman-and-the-emperor.jpg

Incidentally, my Kobo Aura HD which is a few years old now, and in use several times a day, has developed some annoying faults, although it does still work. On my recent trip back to Australia I invested in a Kobo Aura One as a replacement which is very nice to use. Transferring all my Kobo-sourced books is easy, but I still have to put them into Collections (by author or subject). Then there are the non-Kobo books to deal with!

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Just started reading this, having read the first in the series a while ago. Pretty good actually, even though it's a wee bit fanciful. The hero, Solomon Creed is a most enigmatic figure, The first book introduces him, sort of, and the second seems to put a bit more flesh on his bones, as far as I can see so far.
This is first in series. Very readable.

udipur

LE
Book Reviewer
Haven't posted for a while, but I have been reading away. My current non-fiction eBook is:

View attachment 331977

And my current fiction read is:

View attachment 331978

Incidentally, my Kobo Aura HD which is a few years old now, and in use several times a day, has developed some annoying faults, although it does still work. On my recent trip back to Australia I invested in a Kobo Aura One as a replacement which is very nice to use. Transferring all my Kobo-sourced books is easy, but I still have to put them into Collections (by author or subject). Then there are the non-Kobo books to deal with!
I always use Calibre (open source) which can convert most formats into the required ebook format.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finished the first five books in John Ringo's "Paladin of Shadows" series. I like them. Very politically incorrect, lots of violence, and a Hind shows up. And is awesome.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Gift from someone having a clearout, 'The Secret Invaders' by Bill Strutton (1958), a history of Combined Operations Pilotage Parties (COPP). Strutton is a novelist and unlike formal annotated histories, here COPP is presented as an adventure story (although a true bill). Strutton got most of his material from COPP's founder, Nigel Wilmott, and his wife ex-L/Wren Prue, together with accounts from a number of other COPPists. Strutton brings us several tales of endurance, extreme fatigue, extraordinary courage and true heroism, bringing us word pictures of what it was like to sit in a canoe yards of a defended enemy coast, or to swim in to it all on your on loaded down with all sorts of kit, knowing that capture would involve torture and death and worse, expose the landing plan. The last quarter of the book covers COPP in the Far East, probing beaches in Burma, Siam and Malaya and closes with an extraordinary march across Malaya where survivors of COPP3 were in the care of the (Communist) Chinese resistance forces, dodging Malays and Japanese alike.

I have just taken out a book written by Martin Bell, the old BBC TV correspondant and Ex MP who stood as an Independant, and is famous for his white linen suits.

He writes about his experiences when doing National Service in the 1950s. The book is entitled 'The End of Empire', and is about The Cyprus Emergency during the Eoka Troubles, and is an insight into British colonial policy druring the last days of Empire. I haven't begun tor ead this, so should be a good read for any Ex Servcieman, Ex National Serviceman or serving military nowadays. It is of interest to me as I served in Cyprus in 1966 for a six month detachment with the UN Cyprus, HQ based on the old Nicosia International Airport.