What are you reading right now?

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just started reading 'He' by John Connolly, who is best known for his Charlie Parker thrillers. This book is novel and a sort of biography of Stan Laurel. Only started it today but already I'm fascinated by it.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Being stuck in hossie, with only my Kindle yesterday I enjoyed Terry Pratchett's
' The Truth'

which draws on his experience as a journalist and then Press officer for the CEGB.

A wry look at the ephemeral world of daily press. Vetinari goes to jail after apparently stabbing his clerk.

Last edited:
In readiness of the third book released on the 18th rereading Betrayal by A Riches with Onslaught waiting patiently. If you ignore football a book within two days is feasible.

How To Build A Car, by Adrian Newey who is arguably the best Formula 1 designer ever. An autobiography that should appeal to any F1 fan whether they follow it for the engineering or to adulate the drivers as there is something for both. A bit short on photos but long on engineering drawings explaining how the loopholes in the regulations were exploited. There is an extensive chapter on the death of Ayrton Senna and the investigation into why the car crashed that should put to rest the conspiracy theories and those who believe the steering column broke causing the crash.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Has anyone any recommendations on something on ‘Israel and Iran ’?
All I seem to be getting are end of the world, biblical scenarios
Ta

These are very good.

Selous Scouts Top Secret War by Lt. Col Ron Reid Daly as told to Peter Stiff.

Bought second-hand and only just getting to the part where the regiment is being formed. However, the opening chapters are fascinating and gives a fair insight into why the Rhodesians lost the conflict and it has nothing to do with any failing on the part of the author.

I have previously read "The Elite" which is about the Rhodesian SAS and came to the opinion that the upper echelons of the Rhodesian armed forces were more British than the British (photographs of SAS members in full ceremonial regalia, swords and creases you could slice cheese on) and on reading the disdain of those upper echelons for a pseudo terrorist campaign or the formation of a regiment given to such ungentlemanly activities I am not surprised. What was necessary came too late. I exclude Gen. Walls from that generalisation.

I am well aware that we have members on these boards who participated in the bush war and who may vehemently disagree with me and I would most certainly be interested in their views.

Empire Games by Charles Stross.

A very small group of people are able to cross-over from one Earth into an alternative one. This group of people had made their living, in part, by smuggling heroin across the dimension/timeline. All goes well for them until someone blows up the White House with a nuke.... told from four or so people's perspective across the timelines, well worth reading. Stross is being his usual silly and darkly inventive self.

Recommended if you like SciFi with a twist and humour.

Just finished London The Biography by Peter Ackroyd. Enjoyable and interesting but far too long. Starting into the latest, and as it turns out, final Bernie Gunther novel- Greeks Bearing Gifts.

The first book in John Ringo's "Paladin of Shadows" series, "Ghost". Quite entertaining. Though a scene where a SEAL team gets inserted into Syria via a B-2 Spirit bomber strains the bounds of credulity just a tiny bit. Even though it would make a really kick-ass scene in a Hollywood movie.

Just finished Team Yankee for 7000th time, still my favorite.

Just started the Chieftains. Questions for anybody who can answer? Does this take place in the same WW3 time frame that was created by Sir. John Hacket? I know Team Yankee did, can't tell if the Chieftains does at this point yet. The author seems to do a pretty good job writing about your side, not so much the American portion.

Pretty brutal so far, just got to the point where A squadron was wiped out by massed arty and air strikes.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
'The Terror' by Dan Simmons. It seems that there is a television series based on this book, or mayhap the book evolved from the series, I don't know. I haven't been able to watch any of the televisied bits as it appears to be on a BT- Amc channel, and that is not included on my 400 and something ones on sky.
Anyhoo, the book; inspired by a true story, this is the account of an ill-fated expedition to find the famed - or notorious - north-west passage from the Atlantic to the Pacific oceans, supposedly somewhere in the far north beyond Canada. The two ships involved - HMS Terror and HMS Erebus - are trapped in the ice, not that it was unexpected, but theye seem to be trapped in the wrong place to that which they had aimed for. With me so far?

It's not a pleasant experience at the best of times, with temperatures dropping to -60 (in old money) and rations being a tad boring. It's made just that bit more uncomfortable by something eating members of the crews, and taking bites out of the hull of the ship, as well. This creature is rather more than a polar bear, in fact it is a "spirit monster" with some disturbing traits.
The book is quite good, covering, as it does, a good deal of the real history involved and featuring a plethora of polar explorers. The writing style can be a little archaic, but overall it's fascinating.

'The Terror' by Dan Simmons. It seems that there is a television series based on this book, or mayhap the book evolved from the series, I don't know. I haven't been able to watch any of the televisied bits as it appears to be on a BT- Amc channel, and that is not included on my 400 and something ones on sky.
Anyhoo, the book; inspired by a true story, this is the account of an ill-fated expedition to find the famed - or notorious - north-west passage from the Atlantic to the Pacific oceans, supposedly somewhere in the far north beyond Canada. The two ships involved - HMS Terror and HMS Erebus - are trapped in the ice, not that it was unexpected, but theye seem to be trapped in the wrong place to that which they had aimed for. With me so far?

It's not a pleasant experience at the best of times, with temperatures dropping to -60 (in old money) and rations being a tad boring. It's made just that bit more uncomfortable by something eating members of the crews, and taking bites out of the hull of the ship, as well. This creature is rather more than a polar bear, in fact it is a "spirit monster" with some disturbing traits.
The book is quite good, covering, as it does, a good deal of the real history involved and featuring a plethora of polar explorers. The writing style can be a little archaic, but overall it's fascinating.
The TV series is quite good actually. I would recommend watching that at some point as well!

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The TV series is quite good actually. I would recommend watching that at some point as well!
I will, if I can ever find it.

Just finished Team Yankee for 7000th time, still my favorite.

Just started the Chieftains. Questions for anybody who can answer? Does this take place in the same WW3 time frame that was created by Sir. John Hacket? I know Team Yankee did, can't tell if the Chieftains does at this point yet. The author seems to do a pretty good job writing about your side, not so much the American portion.

Pretty brutal so far, just got to the point where A squadron was wiped out by massed arty and air strikes.
I'm not familiar with the Sir John Hacket created timeline, but Cheiftains is set in an end of Cold War WW3 scenario.

I will, if I can ever find it.
A friend told that if you Google 123movies and the name of the tv prog/film, sometimes you'll get lucky and can watch it online. Annoyingly, pops up sometimes appear and new tabs are opened just close them when you click on the play button, happily, they close after the appropriate clicks. Like I said, a friend told me and I believe The Terro might be on Server 2.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Mrs S found this so got 1st dibs and loved it and then it was my turn and so did I:

£1 in charity shop, ppbk of 'The Churchill Factor' by Boris Johnson, 2014. Basic bio and background history apart, which are very well done, an absolutely first-rate analysis of WSC's character with particular emphasis on WSC as a risk-taker from early youth with a touch of small-man syndrome and almost limitless self-belief. Exhaustively researched and then beautifully and pacily written (except for 'psychic' for 'psychological' at one point), delivered through a political prism of one who understands that, and the HoC in particular. Boris is in awe of his subject but then so am I of the man who in my early childhood saved the world. Useful emphasis on WSC's role as a social reformer (OA Pensions, unemployment insurance pre-WW1), and a number of uninformed anti-WSC canards fully, forensically laid to rest.

Aboslutely ace.

Bar a couple of naval bits which landlubber civvy Boris fluffs, but ditto readership won't spot.

Press reviews - 'bravura', 'sizzles', 'riveting' etc. Seaweed concurs (big of him, eh?).