What are you reading right now?

What free e-book sites are people using now? The two i use are b-ok.org and ebook300.com.
I've used (am using) the following sites:
Project Gutenberg
Free Library - Categories Baen Books freebies
http://www.onlinebooks4free.com
Tor.com TOR Books freebies
Free Speculative Fiction Online: Links to Science Fiction & Fantasy Stories Online Free SF online
DigiLibraries.com - Free eBooks library
Free-eBooks.net | Download free Fiction, Health, Romance and many more ebooks
ManyBooks

Project Gutenburg is excellent, though most of their books are quite old. TOR Books and BAEN Books can be a bit iffy - sometimes they have freebies, other times not. Online Books 4 Free doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

Electronic library. Download books free. Finding books B OK e-books
Free eBooks Download - ebook3000.com eBook 3000

I just finished the first volume of Johnathan Sumption's history of the Hundred Years War, and as pleasing as his writing style is, it made my head swim with the amount of names and places that are thrown about. One thing that I didn't know that this book taught me is that Edward III basically funded his campaigns from 1338-1347 with wool.

Anyhow, I need a break from tomes like that, so I'm going to sit down and give Joe Haldeman's "The Forever War" a try.

I just finished the first volume of Johnathan Sumption's history of the Hundred Years War, and as pleasing as his writing style is, it made my head swim with the amount of names and places that are thrown about. One thing that I didn't know that this book taught me is that Edward III basically funded his campaigns from 1338-1347 with wool.

Anyhow, I need a break from tomes like that, so I'm going to sit down and give Joe Haldeman's "The Forever War" a try.
Hence the significance of the Woolsack in the HoL.

Vespasian IV Rome's Lost Son by Robert Fabbri a fine series charting the rise of Vespasian to become Emperor.
If you like them you may like Colleen McCullough's "Masters of Rome" series, dealing with the death of the Roman Republic and the rise of the Empire. Sulla, Gaius Marius, Spartacus, Cicero and Julius Caesar all make appearances. And the books are great reads, with lots of historical indexes thrown in that put into context some of the more out-there things that take place therein.

As well as a useful glossary of Roman Latin sweary-words.

Currently at the start of reading Colleen McCullough's "The First Man in Rome", the first book of her "Masters of Rome" series, and a certain Gauis Marius has just popped up. I'm sure he'll not be doing much.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Evelyn Waugh's Sword of Honour.
The first volume, 'Officers and Gentlemen', is a sendup of Waugh's initial training in the RM, the formation of 1RM and the Dakar expedition & its conversion to 42 (RM) Commando after its return. Give or take some wild exaggeration and the fictional characters it is a true bill. My stepfather was in the same entry. His dislike of EW was comprehensively shared by everyone else. Just before the Dakar expedition sailed EW tore a strip off an SNCO in front of the troops. The CO immediately sent EW back to London for someone else to find a job for EW. London sent EW right back saying 'cope' and he unfortunately arrived back in time to sail as the expedition had been delayed a week. On the way out EW's party piece was buying all the cigars in the ship, leaving none for anybody else. For a straightforward account try 'To the War with Waugh' by John St John.

Waugh as later in Crete (2nd volume), where he proved to have considerable physical courage, and then in Yugoslavia (3rd volume) with Randolph Churchill. Waugh bet RC a case of Scotch that RC could read the entire Bible from end to end, in order to get RC shut up. To get EW out of the way at one point he was given a long leave to sit in Somerset writing 'Brideshead Revisited'.

Currently reading 2 books at the moment.

1) Call the Fire Brigade! by Allan Grice - Was a firefighter in LFB in the 70's. Very Well Written,

2) - Monash - about General Sir John Monash - Have only just picked it up, was a gift from Mrs Notwhoiam

Warriors: Extraordinary Tales From the Battlefield by Max Hastings and read by Nigel Carrington
Warriors: Extraordinary Tales from the Battlefield by Max Hastings
A back damn good read! Thoroughly recommended 9/10

The Murderer in Ruins by Cay Rademacher and read by Mark Meadows
The Murderer in Ruins (Frank Stave, #1) by Cay Rademacher (2 star ratings)
Another good read, set in (just) post-war in Germany. 7/10

Earthly Delights by Kay Greenwood and read by
Louise Severson
Earthly Delights (Corinna Chapman, #1) by Kerry Greenwood

Great fun – and the heroin is a fat baker!.