What are you reading right now?

Just read the short story “The Machine Stops” by EM Forster. Published in 1928/9, it talks of a world where people no longer meet in person, but instead communicate (with their thousands of electronic friends who they have never met) only through computer screens, with no new ideas but just recycle old ones & claim to be experts.

Worryingly, it very much appears to be predicting where we are headed as a society.

It’s short (60 ish pages) but highly recommended if you’re a fan of dystopian fiction.

Just read the short story “The Machine Stops” by EM Forster. Published in 1928/9, it talks of a world where people no longer meet in person, but instead communicate (with their thousands of electronic friends who they have never met) only through computer screens, with no new ideas but just recycle old ones & claim to be experts.

Worryingly, it very much appears to be predicting where we are headed as a society.

It’s short (60 ish pages) but highly recommended if you’re a fan of dystopian fiction.
Magnus Pyke wrote in a book in 1974 predicting the day we all had telephones 'like a police radio' and were contactable 24 hrs a day.
He posited that this was not a good thing.
How true, how true.

Yes, it is good to be in contact should anything go wrong with friends/family, but bad if the majority of comms is pure mindless babble.

... it seems Bernie is one of the unfortunate people in this world, corpses turn up whenever he is around, and he loses girlfriends with monotnous regularity.....
Not many women survive an affair with Bernie. :D

I have just finished Bismarck, A Life by Jonathan Steinberg. Jonathan apparently doesn't do objectivity and the book is less a biography than a character assassination. He equates Otto with Adolf Hitler which seems a little over the top. Still enjoyed the book though. Apart from detailing the life of the man, it gives a fascinating insight into Prussian society- anti-democratic, anti-semitic and anti-Catholic. Interestingly, Steinberg draws parallels between the pre-unification German Confederation and the European Union.

Not many women survive an affair with Bernie. :D

I have just finished Bismarck, A Life by Jonathan Steinberg. Jonathan apparently doesn't do objectivity and the book is less a biography than a character assassination. He equates Otto with Adolf Hitler which seems a little over the top. Still enjoyed the book though. Apart from detailing the life of the man, it gives a fascinating insight into Prussian society- anti-democratic, anti-semitic and anti-Catholic. Interestingly, Steinberg draws parallels between the pre-unification German Confederation and the European Union.

He had a sense of humour asking for a copy of this after it was published

D069AAF6-05C4-41CE-ABE0-F1BC60FCB19C.jpeg

A small booklet from Oxfam telling me about all the good work they do and how they want more money.
No mention of the current/recent crisis but all about the "great" work they do, agreed some is.

He had a sense of humour asking for a copy of this after it was published

View attachment 322978
He would, it implies the Kaiser is getting rid of the man who knows the way. The title was something like 'Dropping off the Pilot'. On this topic, I'd recommend AJP Taylor 'Bismark man and statesman'. Very dry, but I felt a very comprehensive appraisal.

Last edited:

Worryingly, it very much appears to be predicting where we are headed aswith a society.
I'm not sure we haven't got there already, it's certainly ARRSE all over. On a similar theme I remember reading a short story where everyone had virtual sex via computer as a group gang bang. The protagonist was considered a bit of a perv because he only wanted to do it with one other person.

image.jpeg

Starts with The authors exploits in the pre war Diplomatic Corps in Paris and Moscow and his semi official trips to Central Asia.
Then onto his wartime service with the SAS in the Middle East before he becomes commander of the British Military Mission to Tito in Jugoslavia.
VVG.9/10.

2B811DDD-CAD1-4E54-A7C7-C00EFBB6DF85.jpeg

Not so much reading, because there are a lot of pictures, but lovingly caressing my hardback copy of this tome, a belated Christmas present, which was published on 20 February. An old Prog rockers wet dream! :smile:

Having just finished Philip Kerr's The Pale Criminal I am now reading this:

flashman-s-waterloo.jpg

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Nostalgia time. Just finished this;
1520079283445.png

Now reading this:
1520079232857.png