What are you having?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Cyclic, Dec 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I dont think I can face turkey as the missus nearly poisoned me with a turkey curry the other day , silly cow veered of my amazing recipe, yuk.

I fancy goose but its expensive as far as I know?

Any ideas that don't cost the earth?

2. Icelands beef wellington...******* lovely it is!

3. Pikey.

Duck could be a cracking choice, absolutely delicious if cooked well, plenty of great recipes for Duck L'orange etc. out there. Depends on how many are eating and how fat they are, if its a lot then goose may be a better option, and its Christmas you miserable bastard, shell out for the big bird if you have to! (I mean the goose not your missus:))

4. We are having Goose...same as every year.... this year I have noticed very little difference in price between the two.... and there is much less waste on a Goose because it is, if anything even nicer cold on Boxing Day....its just a better flavoured bird...

5. Got it from the River Lea?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Honey glazed ham.

Method................this for a 2kg ham.

1. Weigh ham to calculate boiling time. It will take approx 30 minutes per 500g (1lb), plus 25 minutes.
    2. Place ham in a large pan and pour 2ltr bottle of standard cider over. Add water if necessary to cover ham.
    3. Add 1 roughly chopped good size onion and 2 bay leaves.
    4. Place pan on hob and bring to the boil.
    5. Reduce heat and cover pan.
    6. Simmer for the cooking time, then remove the pan from the heat. Set the oven to Gas Mark 5 or 190°C.
    7. Set aside ham. Pour about 150ml (¼ pint) of the cooking juices into a roasting tin and sling the rest.
    8. Cut away any skin to leave a layer of fat.
    9. Cut through fat to make a diamond pattern and then bung in about 25 cloves.
    10. Mix together 250gms of cheap runny honey and some wholegrain mustard, table spoon ful is ok.. and spread over ham.
    11. Place ham on a rack over tin containing cooking juices.
    12. Cook in centre of oven for 35-50 mins, or until topping is light golden .
    13. Remove from oven and transfer to a warmed serving plate, cover with foil and leave in a warm place for about 10 minutes before carving.
    14. Eat the ******!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. goose from liddle is cheaper than turkey of the same weight from tesco's, personally i like the trukey crown and a nice gammon for the big day, with seafood and beef the day before with leftovers on boxingday, buying too big a supply though always leads to the 1001 ways to eat cooked turkey experiments.

you could always get some of that ready to cook stuff out of icelands, light on the wallet but heavy on the plate, hell they seem to have everything at the moment, duck/goose/chicken/beef/turkey and of course the 3 bird roast:)

8. Rib of 21 day hung Herefordshire beef.

9. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Vension, most definately, and a ham, and all those wee sausages wrapped up in bacon, at least two types of stuffing, maybe some veg if it will fit on the plate.

Mrs Fang has made some murmuring about a turkey but as I don't particularly like it I stopped listening.

10. Beans on toast

Goose fat poured over shoes, while its still hot, makes them very waterproof and wipe clean, just saying.

11. Roast pork and a capon this year. We're hosting the in-laws so a bit of variety is the order of the day.

12. In that case, shouldn't you consider a No 45 with extra bean sprouts and water chestnuts?

13. we try different stuff at xmas.

goose is kinda pricey, a few years ago it was £15/Kilo (4kilo bird)

we have in the past tried:
    beef (wellington)
    venison
    pheasant

this year will be pork fillet, stuffed. one of hugh fearnly-whittingburgers' recipes.

14. Jarrod is having a free range cock. :)