What are these?

Discussion in 'Medals' started by daywalker, May 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

Attached Files:

2. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

The other 2 look like the medals issued by Saudi Arabia and Kuwait for troops deployed on GW1. They are commemerative only and not to be worn.
  3. They're miniatures
  4. Sup rec is correct. Both issued but cannot be worn when in uniform. However I am not sure about the rules when wearing civvies.
  5. If only there were incredibly small and difficult to see.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Look if you leave the mob you can wear what the **** you want. It may look silly but it generally isnt fraudulent or illegal.
    If I had been awarded the 1st class order of the Fantasian war cross then I would wear it after my solitary GSM. The difference is when you buy commemorative tin. Thats silly and lines the pockets of these so called mints!
    • Like Like x 3
  7. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

Granted, but what if they are worn when still connected to the military at a formal military dinner night...

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

So he was awarded them, have you ever tried to decipher what the royals wear?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. are you suggesting he should walt as Royalty?

I like it.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. WRONG!

Sorry chum, you MUST NOT wear any form of unofficial bling in association with anything officially awarded (ie by the Crown or other recognised sources ie UN).
    If the medal is unofficial it should not be worn. However they often are worn and, if so, it must not be in line with official State awards. If it is worn it is usually on the left pocket, below any official awards, or on the right lapel.

And as for identifying the gongs sported by our Royal Family - nothing could be easier:
  11. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

You seem to be saying that there is a law regulating the wearing of medals, as opposed to an internal regulation within the military or convention outside. This is clearly not the case as the multiple walt threads prove. If Ugly wants to wear his Fantasian medal next to his GSM he can do, because he's not in the army any more and nothing but ridicule and ostracising him will stop him. In other people's cases this doesn't work.
  12. Sorry to be a pedant but "must not" should read "should Not". The fact is that once you're no longer serving you can wear whatever you fancy. As a civvy you're no longer bound by JSPs or dress regulations and although it may be a 'grave discourtesy to Her Majesty' to wear unofficial or unsanctioned awards there's not much that can be done about it. The only thing that can be done is for the parade or event organser to ban them and prevent people wearing them from taking part.
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

In my view once you leave you can look as daft as you want! No ****** at the reunion tells me what to wear despite official looking joining instructions and if I wanted to look a **** its my choice! No RSM to charge me just mates to take the piss! I wear what the **** I want on my blazer even a work related lapel badges so **** the protocols as they aren't enforceable!
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Didn't you get one for that gig? I thought we all did - especially as it was a long and hard fought campaign!