What are these people on?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by tafmad, Nov 28, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Breaking news this morning - a group of non-military Britons have been ambushed in Iraq - my first thought was that they were maybe security guards, contractors or diplomats. Bit of an occupational hazard, but they must have known the risks.

An update on the news now says it was a group of tourists from London on a tour of the holy sites.

Of all the places to go on holiday for a tour of historical holy sites, Iraq must be way down the list. What in the name of Allah posessed them to go to the middle of a warzone to look at some ruined buildings?

Was Egypt or Greece not adventurous enough?
    How the hell did they get travel insurance for the trip?
    Did it not occur to them it may be a bit risky?

I am torn between considering it ironic devine retiribution or simply Darwinism.
    A holiday to Iraq!!!! People only say that to take the pi55! nobody seriously considers Iraq to be a tourist destinaton??
  2. Do we know anything more about these "tourists" (age, origins, where they come from in blighty etc.)

It would be ball-breaking if they were anything other than tourists (if you know what I mean).
  3. Pob02

Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

Suicidal idiots . . . well that is my opinion.
  4. Obviously on a religious pilgrimage mate. Not exactly a holiday. Lets see how they handle western muslims....
  5. Bossdog, these are two different groups: Aid Workers and Pilgrims

Edited to add: Sneaky Bossdog amended his post before I posted!
  6. Shi'a pilgrims, as far as I can tell. UK subjects of Asian origin.
  7. willthe politically correct knobbers alow the killers to stand trial?
  8. Not that I normally read the rag :oops: :oops: but you wouldn't be alluding to this story in the Sun would you?
  9. Thats the one, Its the only comic I get access to for nothing (too tight to buy my own)