What are the requirements for AFC Harrogate?

Juancog

Swinger
Hi, I'm currently 14 and I am strongly thinking of joining the army when I can and I was wondering if I could go to AFC Harrogate instead of a normal (civilian) college. The answer is probably no but it does have college in the name. I was also wondering about any important and specific requirements that are needed for entry and just overall, any benefits of going there. Thanks.

Old Stab

LE
Book Reviewer
Hi, I'm currently 14 and I am strongly thinking of joining the army when I can and I was wondering if I could go to AFC Harrogate instead of a normal (civilian) college. The answer is probably no but it does have college in the name. I was also wondering about any important and specific requirements that are needed for entry and just overall, any benefits of going there. Thanks.
Fair play to you kid , good question and well presented.
There will be someone on here who will be able to answer your questions, in depth and in full. More than likely one of the blokes/ Lasses on here is or has been an instructor at Harrogate.

Good luck.

Juancog

Swinger
Fair play to you kid , good question and well presented.
There will be someone on here who will be able to answer your questions, in depth and in full. More than likely one of the blokes/ Lasses on here is or has been an instructor at Harrogate.

Good luck.
Thank you very much :)

Harrogate isn't quite like a civvy college, you'll be learning how to soldier and being paid, whilst also doing some educational
lessons. It will not be a similar environment as civvy college, life will be more regimented and pressured in some ways.

The requirements are mostly based off your choice of job you wish to do in the army.

All requirements are on the Army jobs website.

Best advice I can give is look into everything about military life, work hard at gaining the best GCSEs that you can get, and start looking around at what you want to do in the army.

Good luck and feel free to ask as many questions that you have.

Juancog

Swinger
Harrogate isn't quite like a civvy college, you'll be learning how to soldier and being paid, whilst also doing some educational
lessons. It will not be a similar environment as civvy college, life will be more regimented and pressured in some ways.

The requirements are mostly based off your choice of job you wish to do in the army.

All requirements are on the Army jobs website.

Best advice I can give is look into everything about military life, work hard at gaining the best GCSEs that you can get, and start looking around at what you want to do in the army.

Good luck and feel free to ask as many questions that you have.
I am aiming to be a combat medical technician and I don't want to go through a civvy college and then apply, I would like to go right in right after comprehensive school. Am I correct in thinking I can do that? Also, I live in the furthest part of Wales from Harrogate and I was wondering if that would cause any problems. Thanks again.

I am aiming to be a combat medical technician and I don't want to go through a civvy college and then apply, I would like to go right in right after comprehensive school. Am I correct in thinking I can do that? Also, I live in the furthest part of Wales from Harrogate and I was wondering if that would cause any problems. Thanks again.
It would depend on when you apply and get through the process as to if you get on a March or September intake. You can apply from the age of 15 and 9 months.

Only problems it would cause will be the length of journeys to and from Harrogate.

There's an online open day about Harrogate on the 21st of this month that may be of interest.

Old Stab

LE
Book Reviewer
The only problem would be the distance involved in getting back home to Wales..I take it you're way out west in Pembrokeshire.

Don't worry about it. EVERYONE will be homesick at some point and once out of Harrogate into the Army proper you could be posted anywhere. At the moment though, head down and get the best results possible in your exams, this could open up doors and opportunities that you've not even thought about or considered yet.

Juancog

Swinger
The only problem would be the distance involved in getting back home to Wales..I take it you're way out west in Pembrokeshire.

Don't worry about it. EVERYONE will be homesick at some point and once out of Harrogate into the Army proper you could be posted anywhere. At the moment though, head down and get the best results possible in your exams, this could open up doors and opportunities that you've not even thought about or considered yet.
Thanks a bunch

ITC Screw

Swinger
SME

Contact your AFCO/NRC line and ask for the link to The Harrogate Virtual Open Day. It is taking place on Tue 21/06/22 at 1800. It will be the ideal opportunity for you and your parents/guardians to learn about what training and development opportunities are on offer at AFC. I might be on the call to provide an input regarding infantry training for those that will progress to ITC following junior entry (long) intake. It is worth attending.

AFC is not like a standard college with an array of subjects. However education is a key part of Junior Entry Phase 1 training. You will study literacy, numeracy and ICT with the opportunity to gain qualifications if you require them. You will also cover DVLA approved driver theory training to prepare you for your driving test. AFC receives 2 intakes a year in September and March. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Juancog

Swinger
Contact your AFCO/NRC line and ask for the link to The Harrogate Virtual Open Day. It is taking place on Tue 21/06/22 at 1800. It will be the ideal opportunity for you and your parents/guardians to learn about what training and development opportunities are on offer at AFC. I might be on the call to provide an input regarding infantry training for those that will progress to ITC following junior entry (long) intake. It is worth attending.

AFC is not like a standard college with an array of subjects. However education is a key part of Junior Entry Phase 1 training. You will study literacy, numeracy and ICT with the opportunity to gain qualifications if you require them. You will also cover DVLA approved driver theory training to prepare you for your driving test. AFC receives 2 intakes a year in September and March. Hope this helps.
Thank you

Stibbon

War Hero

As I understand it, "College" is neither here nor there if you're aiming to be a CMT.

You'll need at least 3 decent GCSE grades in Maths and English in order to not be filtered out of that potential employment role, but once you've done your Phase 1 training, you'll go to Lichfield and undergo 28 weeks technical training with (I believe) an 8 week "placement" at a medical facility somewhere on top of that.

As @Dreamseller has already said, concentrate on your GCSEs, apply via the AFCO/NRC to get into the Army via Harrogate and just go for it. CMTs are paid really well these days. ;) :)

ITC Screw

Swinger
SME
Thank you

You can register online for the open day via this link.
AFC are also due to offer familiarisation visits for those in the recruitment pipeline. Your recruiter will have more information about this I imagine. Attending insight events and/or familiarisation visits are a good way to align expectation with reality. I am told the plan is to combine virtual and face to face events allowing for the best access to the widest cohort possible. It is no fluke that those that arrive here at ITC from AFC arrive physically and mentally ready for the rigours of infantry training. I genuinely find the ex AFC recruits very high quality and easy to train. ITC and AFC have a great relationship.

Best of luck with the application.

Last edited: