• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

What are the police actually for?

Saw this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2303545/Police-get-three-hours-to-respond-to-999-calls.html and it really does raise the question of what the police are actually for. I remember reading some advice somewhere that if your house gets burgled you should ring the local plod, and if anyone actually answers tell them you've been burgled and they've taken everythinhg including your computer and all your paedophile files and they'll be round in 5 minutes. More important I remember reading an article about a year ago about a village up in arms because the police wanted to build a riot training centre nearby. In the course of that it was mentioned that there are already 6 or 7 such centres scattered round the country and in operation for something like 187 days a year. Protection from crime and criminals, or the muscle end of politics, you decide. On the bright side, I suppose they are between you chaps and bayonetting civilians.

Making the crime statistics or terrorist threat appear to be whatever the government of the day wants them to be?

Huh! Absolutely Nothing! Huh!

Sorry couldn't help it.

To be fair, what do they define as "non emergency"? if it's "my neighbour's a bit of a cnut and doesn't turn his stereo down", then that can probably wait a couple of days and its reasonable to expect such a delay. If by non emergency they mean anti social behaviour and the like then fair enough. And I very much doubt if the 999 call was "Hi, I've just been stabbed quite a lot in the head" they would take 3 hours to respond.

To be unfair (by unfair, I mean realistic) police officers, in my experience, seem pretty unwilling to assist anyone, regardless of the situation, are rude, disrespectful, disinterested, unco-operative, willfully obstructive, willfully obtuse and quick to complain about excessive admin/crap pay/shifts/conditions but seem quite comfortable coasting down to retirement and superanuation.

B

Biscuits_AB

Yeah, every time I tune in to watch The Bill, they're all swanning around with their hands in their pockets. What's that all about?

Biscuits_AB said:
Yeah, every time I tune in to watch The Bill, they're all swanning around with their hands in their pockets. What's that all about?
exactly! And have you seen the police extras on Holby City? Shocking.

But seriously, my local lot are a completely useless shower. Except for the traffic lot who are infact rather efficient.

B

Biscuits_AB

I've not got a lot of respect for them round our way. Not that I have much to do with them, but when I did, it was as if you were spoiling their day. You just don't want to go back after your first visit. Phoning them is great as well. It's like you've just interupted their sleep. We've got a fairly pro-active PCSO though, who appears to drag a WPC round on the beat with her. She's one of those domineering old bags who just couldn't wait to get the uniform on and tell some c*nt off, but at least she's keener than the WPC, who's in her mid to late 20's, and who always walks 2 - 3 paces behind the old girl. Hands in pockets though and constantly looking like a bag of sh*te. Certainly instills confidence.

Where i live the police are not to bad, every now and again the police seem to stop on the same road and put a speed trap in and pull people over for possible unknown offences. (they're normally over manned 10 plus plod plus all the other hanger on'ers) Tax and customs etc. and then for some strange reason you never see them again for months (easy KPI's) it never fails, they reach there monthly, quartly targets in no time

the police are supposed to be there to uphold social justice, using the law as the tool by which this achieved.

Since the labour party took over, the police are the social policy enforcement wing of the labour party. - (with the obvious result)

I once got arrested for hitting someone in a bar fight!! what's up with that?
:x

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The police are there to; Protect life and property.
Detect and prosecute offenders.
Maintain order
prevent and detect crime.

They are servants of The Crown, not employees. They cannot be ordered to arrest anyone against their judgement, nor be prevented from doing so, if they believe they are correct in their judgement.

But at present they are being subverted and subsumed by government interference, and political will. This is unlawful and contrary to the Royal Warrant.

But who will stand against that?

I have had the misfortune to have to ask the police for help several times over the last couple of years, net result - Here is a crime number - is that a target for them, it is easier to issue a crime number than investigate!!

Biscuits_AB said:
I've not got a lot of respect for them round our way. Not that I have much to do with them, but when I did, it was as if you were spoiling their day. You just don't want to go back after your first visit. Phoning them is great as well. It's like you've just interupted their sleep. We've got a fairly pro-active PCSO though, who appears to drag a WPC round on the beat with her. She's one of those domineering old bags who just couldn't wait to get the uniform on and tell some c*nt off, but at least she's keener than the WPC, who's in her mid to late 20's, and who always walks 2 - 3 paces behind the old girl. Hands in pockets though and constantly looking like a bag of sh*te. Certainly instills confidence.
my bold whilst i know that the police have more than their fair share of chods and workshy boshy wakers,etc their must be some good one?

What happened to the duty inspector or sargent griping these scruffy oiks and tell them to bloody well look like a proffesional police officer and not some NCP ticket collector.

Hat off and hands in pockets my pet hate...

halo_jones said:
Biscuits_AB said:
my bold whilst i know that the police have more than their fair share of chods and workshy boshy wakers,etc their must be some good one?

What happened to the duty inspector or sargent griping these scruffy oiks and tell them to bloody well look like a proffesional police officer and not some NCP ticket collector.

Hat off and hands in pockets my pet hate...
IIRC, quite few senior Plods are scared to b0llock scruffy coppers in case they are accused of "bullying"... :roll:

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The section sergeant is now too busy to get out and about with his troops. Has to spend too much time drafting reports, objective analysis and other such paperwork. And no, I'm not having a dig, it's the truth. Shift inspector generally tied up in custody office, or again involved in routine and time consuming paperwork.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
One hates to stand in the path of a full-on ARRSE - ACAB rant, but...

Back when I were a nipper the Rozzers were pig ignorant oafs and bullies, who had 2 MOs.

1) Get you in an ally / police box and kick seven shades out of you
2) get you in the cells and kick seven shades out of you

In my limited experienec with Rozzers today (usually traffic, or I've reported something) they appear educated, polite and following proceedure.

In the bad old days we had E Div. Regional Crime Squad. Fitters Up par excellence. And IMO the Birmingham 6, Maguire 7 and the Guilford 4 did more than the Clegg incident or Shoot To Mildly Amuse Policy to knacker any moral high ground we had in Nireland.

Finally, every copper I know would agree about red tape and political interference with the job.

Coppers zooming round on mountain bikes - its the future.

And no. I'm not a copper.

I have lived here for two years,never even seen a copper.
We get leaflets from Kent Constabulary,telling me how wonderful they are.I live in East Sussex.

My last run in with Plod (a routine roadblock collecting motorcyclists) resulted in a minor conviction for a admin error with my licence. No drama with that, just the way it is.
However the Officer concerned made a written statement for the court over the matter which contains no less than three outright lies. They aren't even matter of opinion type lies, they are simply complete fabrications.
The moron even went as far to say that at 8pm on the Xth of August (1st week) that it was getting dark and the streetlights were on.
He also said I was speeding but he did not have the proper equipment to prove it. Neglecting to mention the camera van 800yards down the road that formed part of the roadblock set up, When initially pulled over he said it was because the Officer in the camera van said I was speeding. Funnily enough when challenged he dropped the subject. Those two are not the only outright lies in his statement but you get the gist.
All of dubious relevance perhaps but all of this information was presented as part of his evidence to the magistrates that convicted me of the paperwork error in my abscence. It creates a loaded impresion in court that aids the conviction.
If you can't trust the Police to tell the truth over something minor.....?

As they stand now the Police only serve "the Party"
They are a politically motivated organisation that are only a few years from becoming the British version of the Stasi. There are some good people in the Police but they have long since stopped being impartial and serving the people they are supposed to protect. They simply impose government policy upon us now.
You could try asking the Countryside Alliance types what purpose the Police serve if you like?

Our community copper is a decent lad - we were having major 'Ned' dramas and over the course of a weekend he arrested the ring-leaders and took them home to Rab and Mary-Doll - some of them blatently in tears! Net result, no more Ned problems.

Now whilst I'm all for plod-bashing, as indeed AC ARE B, this guy did exactly what I wanted of him and did it well in double quick time so hats off to some of our coppers, some of the time.

As for the scruffy aspect - well, dont we all just look smart as carrots in CS95! - They are cursed with the same 'modernisation' of unifroms we are, but, some of them make no f'ing effort at all and its a sad relection on the society they are recruited from that they dont see the error they are making in 'patroling' the streets looking like scarecrows........

[As for the scruffy aspect - well, dont we all just look smart as carrots in CS95! - They are cursed with the same 'modernisation' of unifroms we are, but, some of them make no f'ing effort at all and its a sad relection on the society they are recruited from that they dont see the error they are making in 'patroling' the streets looking like scarecrows........[/quote]

Having recently gone through the recruitment and training process, I can regretfully confirm that we got no input whatsoever regarding the preperation and maintenance of uniform. A number of fellow officer's got their mums to do their shirts. And those candidates were the smarter ones. The others, well lets not go there. I bulled my toecaps and was considered to be archaic. Others were proud of the fact that their boots had 'not needed polish' since day one.

Latest Threads