What are the police actually for?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by scrofula, Jul 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Saw this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2303545/Police-get-three-hours-to-respond-to-999-calls.html and it really does raise the question of what the police are actually for. I remember reading some advice somewhere that if your house gets burgled you should ring the local plod, and if anyone actually answers tell them you've been burgled and they've taken everythinhg including your computer and all your paedophile files and they'll be round in 5 minutes. More important I remember reading an article about a year ago about a village up in arms because the police wanted to build a riot training centre nearby. In the course of that it was mentioned that there are already 6 or 7 such centres scattered round the country and in operation for something like 187 days a year. Protection from crime and criminals, or the muscle end of politics, you decide. On the bright side, I suppose they are between you chaps and bayonetting civilians.

2. Making the crime statistics or terrorist threat appear to be whatever the government of the day wants them to be?

3. Huh! Absolutely Nothing! Huh!

Sorry couldn't help it.

To be fair, what do they define as "non emergency"? if it's "my neighbour's a bit of a cnut and doesn't turn his stereo down", then that can probably wait a couple of days and its reasonable to expect such a delay. If by non emergency they mean anti social behaviour and the like then fair enough. And I very much doubt if the 999 call was "Hi, I've just been stabbed quite a lot in the head" they would take 3 hours to respond.

To be unfair (by unfair, I mean realistic) police officers, in my experience, seem pretty unwilling to assist anyone, regardless of the situation, are rude, disrespectful, disinterested, unco-operative, willfully obstructive, willfully obtuse and quick to complain about excessive admin/crap pay/shifts/conditions but seem quite comfortable coasting down to retirement and superanuation.

4. Yeah, every time I tune in to watch The Bill, they're all swanning around with their hands in their pockets. What's that all about?

5. exactly! And have you seen the police extras on Holby City? Shocking.

But seriously, my local lot are a completely useless shower. Except for the traffic lot who are infact rather efficient.

6. I've not got a lot of respect for them round our way. Not that I have much to do with them, but when I did, it was as if you were spoiling their day. You just don't want to go back after your first visit. Phoning them is great as well. It's like you've just interupted their sleep. We've got a fairly pro-active PCSO though, who appears to drag a WPC round on the beat with her. She's one of those domineering old bags who just couldn't wait to get the uniform on and tell some c*nt off, but at least she's keener than the WPC, who's in her mid to late 20's, and who always walks 2 - 3 paces behind the old girl. Hands in pockets though and constantly looking like a bag of sh*te. Certainly instills confidence.

7. Where i live the police are not to bad, every now and again the police seem to stop on the same road and put a speed trap in and pull people over for possible unknown offences. (they're normally over manned 10 plus plod plus all the other hanger on'ers) Tax and customs etc. and then for some strange reason you never see them again for months (easy KPI's) it never fails, they reach there monthly, quartly targets in no time

8. the police are supposed to be there to uphold social justice, using the law as the tool by which this achieved.

Since the labour party took over, the police are the social policy enforcement wing of the labour party. - (with the obvious result)

9. Protecting the rights of the criminals and fcuking over the victims.

10. I once got arrested for hitting someone in a bar fight!! what's up with that?
    :x

11. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The police are there to; Protect life and property.
    Detect and prosecute offenders.
    Maintain order
    prevent and detect crime.

They are servants of The Crown, not employees. They cannot be ordered to arrest anyone against their judgement, nor be prevented from doing so, if they believe they are correct in their judgement.

But at present they are being subverted and subsumed by government interference, and political will. This is unlawful and contrary to the Royal Warrant.

But who will stand against that?

12. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

I have had the misfortune to have to ask the police for help several times over the last couple of years, net result - Here is a crime number - is that a target for them, it is easier to issue a crime number than investigate!!

13. my bold whilst i know that the police have more than their fair share of chods and workshy boshy wakers,etc their must be some good one?

What happened to the duty inspector or sargent griping these scruffy oiks and tell them to bloody well look like a proffesional police officer and not some NCP ticket collector.

Hat off and hands in pockets my pet hate...

14. IIRC, quite few senior Plods are scared to b0llock scruffy coppers in case they are accused of "bullying"... :roll:

15. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The section sergeant is now too busy to get out and about with his troops. Has to spend too much time drafting reports, objective analysis and other such paperwork. And no, I'm not having a dig, it's the truth. Shift inspector generally tied up in custody office, or again involved in routine and time consuming paperwork.