• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

What are the oldest munitions still kept in storage by the MoD?

Maybe one for the ammo techs this one, but this question has just jumped into my head for some reason. What I want to know is, what is the oldest type of munition, from any of the 3 services (if known) that is currently held in stocks.
Come to think of it, I wonder what the oldest piece of bulk issuable kit still held?

I used beehive charges dated 1945 in 2008 so there is some pretty old stuff out there or at least there was then. Photo of them below.

Beehives.jpg

Percy_Pigeon

War Hero
Book Reviewer
When I down sized the loan pool in 2006 there where great coats from 1936 – 1942 still in boxes with bake-o-light buttons by the thousands and crockery from the same era.

I was going to say Barmine, but I reckon that Beehive charge trumps it considerably (if there are still stocks).

It used to be the Bangalore Torpedoes, but I think that they've all been replaced now by the new model.

I think Tropper still has some gun powder in his locker he used on the Tower of London when he and his mate Guy tried blowing it up after a weekend on the lash.

Not exactly military stock, but I have some Lake City 7.62 date stamped 1960 and some 30-06 also date stamped 1960. That pales considerably when compared to a mate (a German) who has 1944 date stamped 30M1 ammo. All of which still goes bang reliably.

Some time mid 90s during a clear out of a shed in Ayrshire Bks I came across a first aid kit from about 1942, there was even unissued 38 (?) pattern webbing. Unfortunately my crystal ball was not working or I would have saved it for fleabay.

The Beehives are the oldest nature I am aware of.. they are currently being cleared out and will all be gone by the end of the year.. We had some older Bangalore Torpedoes, but someone in AW had a fit of the vapours about them and they were consigned to the great dem ground in the sky..

Fuzzy matches went some time ago - we now have some new ones in plastic tubes - not nearly as good..

I'm not sure how old some of the 18 pdr cases that the Kings troop use.. I think they are mostly fairly new manufacture..

The Crabs had some really old iron bombs, but again I suspect (or at least hope) that these have gone downrange in Afghan over the past few years..

I think the Andrew has got rid of its steam torpedoes by now.. though they seem to work fine on WW2 battleships!

Some of the paveways we were handling during Ellamy were dated early 1950s, esentially its a 1000lb iron bomb WW2 style with the guidance package strapped onto it. I beleive the bombs that the vulcan delivered to the falklands were pre WW2 stock so I would surgest there is a massive bunker somewhere full of really old bombs waiting to be dropped.

Latest Threads