What are the oldest munitions still kept in storage by the MoD?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Speedy, May 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Maybe one for the ammo techs this one, but this question has just jumped into my head for some reason. What I want to know is, what is the oldest type of munition, from any of the 3 services (if known) that is currently held in stocks.
    Come to think of it, I wonder what the oldest piece of bulk issuable kit still held?

2. Well we have a pair of binos here dates 1945, they were issued to us about 2 years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ah the old "my mess tin is older than your mess tin" debate

4. I used beehive charges dated 1945 in 2008 so there is some pretty old stuff out there or at least there was then. Photo of them below.

Beehives.jpg

5. trident

6. Percy_Pigeon

Percy_Pigeon War Hero Book Reviewer

When I down sized the loan pool in 2006 there where great coats from 1936 – 1942 still in boxes with bake-o-light buttons by the thousands and crockery from the same era.

7. Tempted.

8. When I was at Kineton Central Ammuniton Depot in the 90's, we had Match Fuzee with a BKI date of 1943.

9. I was going to say Barmine, but I reckon that Beehive charge trumps it considerably (if there are still stocks).

It used to be the Bangalore Torpedoes, but I think that they've all been replaced now by the new model.

10. I think Tropper still has some gun powder in his locker he used on the Tower of London when he and his mate Guy tried blowing it up after a weekend on the lash.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Don't the RN still use some old 19th century light cannon as saluting guns on their war canoes or did I imagine reading it?

12. How did you make them go bang?

13. Phil the greek, social handgrenade.......

princePhillip.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  14. Royal Navy Mk8 torpedo, entry into service 1925. God knows how old the one was that did for the Belgrano...

15. Not exactly military stock, but I have some Lake City 7.62 date stamped 1960 and some 30-06 also date stamped 1960. That pales considerably when compared to a mate (a German) who has 1944 date stamped 30M1 ammo. All of which still goes bang reliably.

Some time mid 90s during a clear out of a shed in Ayrshire Bks I came across a first aid kit from about 1942, there was even unissued 38 (?) pattern webbing. Unfortunately my crystal ball was not working or I would have saved it for fleabay.