What are the odds of becoming an Engineering Officer without a degree?

I'm planning to apply to the Army as an Engineering Platoon Officer in a couple of years, after I've got my A-Levels done. However, I see that the page says "Graduates should ideally hold a technically focussed degree". How much of a difference will this make for a potential applicant?

Am I likely to still have a chance at getting in as an Officer if I lack a degree?

Why don't you want to go to uni?
Most types of engineering require a degree, go to uni, get relevant degree, join the OTC or Army reserve to get exposure to the military environment while you're there.
Many more doors will be open to you if you do, in and out of the Army.

Why don't you want to go to uni?
Most types of engineering require a degree, go to uni, get relevant degree, join the OTC or Army reserve to get exposure to the military environment while you're there.
Many more doors will be open to you if you do, in and out of the Army.
Uni is an option, but if I can, I would ideally prefer to sign on as an Officer soooner rather than later. In addition, I was under the impression that non-graduates may be asked to study for an In-Service Degree - so if I can join with A-Levels and get a degree in the process, I see that as catching two birds.

Uni is an option, but if I can, I would ideally prefer to sign on as an Officer soooner rather than later. In addition, I was under the impression that non-graduates may be asked to study for an In-Service Degree - so if I can join with A-Levels and get a degree in the process, I see that as catching two birds.
Once that you are serving you will have something of a full-time job which can be demanding. You may find life significantly easier if you get a degree beforehand.
I have no expertise in this, I'm just looking at it from a logical perspective.

I'm planning to apply to the Army as an Engineering Platoon Officer in a couple of years, after I've got my A-Levels done. However, I see that the page says "Graduates should ideally hold a technically focussed degree". How much of a difference will this make for a potential applicant?

Am I likely to still have a chance at getting in as an Officer if I lack a degree?

This might make university a more attractive option to you:

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
Joining a technical trade in middle management without a technical background might be somewhat career limiting. The RE has a collective hard on for post-nominals and academic achievments, without any sort of engineering background you're going to struggle to get in the top third for promotion or the gucci postings. Pining your hopes on an in-service degree in a time of constrained budgets might not be the wisest path either.

Why join the engineers as an officer if you don't have the background? In your shoes i'd go and do something sexy in cav or light inf rather than digging holes in the ground in Weymouth.