What are the hair regulations?

huscarl

Old-Salt
You've got a SCAR?.

Flaunt it, and make up some stories to go along with it.

A good start would be nutting a cooper when you were at school.

Just ask @ACAB for some appropriate details.
Would that be a mini Cooper or a barrel making person he'd be nutting!;)

I got a lovely, smart, short-back-and-sides the Friday before I startedBasic back in '87. Second day at Ashford, 'in the land rover you're off for a haircut! £4 for a number 4 all over!! To be fair the lady doing the cutting was in tears!!
'Every three months you lot come in and it always makes me cry doing this!!'

All the young toms are strutting around with those stupid looking quifs at the mo. Seems to the in thing for the young discerning squaddie around town.
Quif (One Direction stylee), sleeve tats, t shirts as tight as they can possibly get without cutting off ribcage movement for air, pastel coloured shorts showing off legs that wouldnt look out of place on a sparrow, and stupid canvas slipper type shoes.
Wouldnt have got away with it in my day, etc......

You probably did pay just not directly, the army were very helpful in billing me for my fashionable tracksuit, shite photos, unwanted haircuts and TV rental (that I briefly saw through the windows of the WRVS), I didn't have to go through all that old fashion bollocks of using money in my pocket, it was taking directly from my pay.
C'mon, they were doing you a favour.
They knew you wouldn't be able to work it out for yourself.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I got a lovely, smart, short-back-and-sides the Friday before I startedBasic back in '87. Second day at Ashford, 'in the land rover you're off for a haircut! £4 for a number 4 all over!! To be fair the lady doing the cutting was in tears!!
'Every three months you lot come in and it always makes me cry doing this!!'

we had a tubby female cockney whale cut our hair, we just ended up with really bad No 4's and a faceful of boob that was like suffocating in a mountain of partially risen bread dough. It was like the Blob came from London and had been stuffed into double denim and a 'relax' t-shirt.
Oddly enough I didn't tell the gf all the details of that one, as she was insanely jealous and wouldn't have believed the horror of being molested in such a way. I think that was the start of my crippling claustrophobia and irrational fear of bakers.

I've just remembered the horrific high pitched 'laugh' it had.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
When I left, I had to do a clearance chitty. But the Camp Dentist (as opposed to the camp dentist), whose signature I needed, had moved from Worthy Down over the road to Flowerdown, what I believe is now Sir John Moore Barracks, was then the brand spanking new Light Division Depot, and now I believe is where all the whippersnappers go for Basic.

The Camp Dentist was next to the Camp Barber, where I saw a sign. Something like,

The Barber will give you a Grade 4 on top and a Grade 1 all round. Don't try and ask for anything else.

As for scars. I have this scar fills most of my left palm. I used to tell the girls I'd copped a 9mm bullet. They loved it. I'd caught a beer glass and severed the left index flexor tendon. They still believe me. But that's cos I is a lying twunt

This scar. Does it look like a lightning flash? Standby for an early nickname.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
This scar. Does it look like a lightning flash? Standby for an early nickname.
No it looks like this:

h

And wrt to nicknames, you'll not think of anything novel. Even Milky Bar Kid didn't stick, partly because it was me winding up my new Regimental buddies, not vice versa. Nipper could have been cast as a young lad with a lightning scar. He was truer to JKR's drawings of HP in the books than Daniel Radcliffe.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Same here, despite me actually looking like him.
I went to school with a lad who was very blond and very pale skinned and wore glasses. HE got called Milky Bar Kid, I never gave it a thought. I rocked up at Lisanelly with ginger hair, freckles and glasses in 1975. Somebody did the sums and asked if I'd been Milky Bar Kid about ten years previously. No, but I didn't tell him that and HE told everybody that I had actually been the Milky Bar Kid, a television star. Saved me some flak in my first days, especially since most of the time I was out in West Tyrone and Fermanagh with the troop, and by the time we got home, I'd done a tour and had an inch of glory.

I got my own, unique nickname a week or two after arrival and people stopped caring.

do you still get head shaved or no? its not a big concern, im 15 and im joining Junior army, I've got many questions
I'd suggest changing your user name if the J and T are your initials and 2005 is the year you were born. Your chain of command may view this site, and you won't be difficult to identify.

I'd suggest changing your user name if the J and T are your initials and 2005 is the year you were born. Your chain of command may view this site, and you won't be difficult to identify.

I would suggest that if his chain of command are viewing this stuff, he has joined the home guard by mistake ^~

do you still get head shaved or no? its not a big concern, im 15 and im joining Junior army, I've got many questions
Try not to be put off by the input of some of the old and bold on here. Most of them served when their first personal weapon was a muzzle loader. If they take the Mickey too much just ask them about ‘that rifle’ and puttees and they will have to go for a cold shower.

Yes you will have to have a short hair cut. Yes you will look like a tw@t. But when you come home on leave this will be something that will set you apart and it will be something you can brag about to your mates (I know that seems unlikely, but it is true). You won’t pull anyone because of this, but you will pull more because of your increased confidence and bearing.

When you get to your unit after junior soldiers things will change a little and you will have a bit more of a relaxed attitude. So don’t fret too much about it.

Leedsboy

Clanker
On a Reserves webinar the other day it was stated that men could have it long and tied up nearly. I know it's only the Reserves but I'm ex-RAF and I choked. Mind you beards in the RAF are just wrong. Navy and RM only.

Latest Threads