What are the benefits of service?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by exsniffer, Dec 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :arrow: I recently attended a wedding of a comrade. When we got on the bus (provided by the groom) my mate (a serving major) said "There can't be many on here worth less than £50k pa. It was true, save for those still serving, we had a chief EHO of a large(ish) SE local authourity, a newly appointed CEHO for a New Zealand council' several consultants and an inspector of american homes. All of these individuals started as Pte soldiers who would have had few prospects as civvies. The groom was a perfect example who joined as a junior tradesman from a Nottingham Council estate with no qualifications and is now both the owner of a sucessful company and even a member of the Institute of Directors,

So my fellow arrsers We have had several threads on why we should nor encourage the young to join (broken covenant etc. Don't get me wrong it's truelly shattered) but what benefits do you believe accrue from your military service?
  2. The ability to sit up all night stringing words together to make sensible sentences...

3. Feck me! I got that right!

4. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

Pride in that you have achieved something alongside your peers that few have the courage to attempt. However long you served nobody can take that away.
  5. The ability to hit a man-sized target at up to 400m in any weather? My CV may need some work, though.

Pride, self-confidence, self-discipline and a massive dollop of determination. They'll take you a long way in any job.
  6. Benefits??????????????????????????????/

Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country!
  7. Mates that could be used in the carling adverts
  8. The confidence to wear colours that clash.