What are my chances of getting to Sandhurst without a degree?

Hello everyone,
I’m 19 (about to turn 20) and have always dreamed of becoming an Infantryman. This has been put on hold due to bogus medical issues for about a year but looks like it’s about to be sorted out.
I did go to university but for many reasons found it wasn’t for me so promptly dropped out.

Since then I’ve been doing some odd jobs, gone travelling a bit, did a bit of volunteering work and (before I was kicked out for medical reasons) was in the Army Reserve. I got the idea of becoming an officer when my Colour Sergeant said I’d make a good one. He said I’ve got the right ‘air’ about me. Now I’m certain this is what I want to do with my life but am slightly concerned that I won’t be nearly as competitive as everyone else due to the fact that I don’t have a degree. What do you guys think? Is it even worth applying?

Appreciate any replies!

Stick your application in. Always let others reject you. Never reject yourself.

Hello everyone,
I’m 19 (about to turn 20) and have always dreamed of becoming an Infantryman. This has been put on hold due to bogus medical issues for about a year but looks like it’s about to be sorted out.
I did go to university but for many reasons found it wasn’t for me so promptly dropped out.

Since then I’ve been doing some odd jobs, gone travelling a bit, did a bit of volunteering work and (before I was kicked out for medical reasons) was in the Army Reserve. I got the idea of becoming an officer when my Colour Sergeant said I’d make a good one. He said I’ve got the right ‘air’ about me. Now I’m certain this is what I want to do with my life but am slightly concerned that I won’t be nearly as competitive as everyone else due to the fact that I don’t have a degree. What do you guys think? Is it even worth applying?

Appreciate any replies!
For a definitive answer your best bet might be the local ACIO or the Army’s website?

35 ish years ago it wasn’t a problem but that’s no use to you. What probably hasn’t changed is the ? that came into my mind about the medical issues, I may have read wrong but calling it “bogus” and referencing being kicked out of the AR implies you feel that was an incorrect decision? What message might that send?

Also, work on a strong answer to the Uni drop out question that I’d suggest is a dead cert for the interview. “Various reasons” is understandable on an anonymous forum but won’t wash in an interview where they’re looking for resilient characters not quitters.

Best of luck though.

You were kicked out of the Army Reserve for medical reasons?
Not wishing the details but wouldn't that hold good for the regulars as well?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
About 25% of OCdts are non-grads. It’s the same course and RMAS scores you a third of a degree.

Generally about 7% are from the ranks. It’s not a drama.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Hello everyone,

Appreciate any replies!
It's worth applying, because something like 10-20% of Sandhurst don't have a degree. Because the Army are terrible about being open with any statistics, and particularly recruitment statistics, that doesn't tell you what your chances are, but you can infer that it is a lot less likely to get in without a degree.

I think the better question is: what massive disadvantage is applying going to cause for you? You'll be forced to get a bit fitter? Not terrible. You'll practice a load of aptitude and planning tests? Not terrible. You'll have to spend a week in Westbury? Not great, not terrible.

So you might as well give it a go. If your other option is: go back to university. Try to get in as a non-grad, if you fail, then you can address the university option.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
About 25% of OCdts are non-grads. It’s the same course and RMAS scores you a third of a degree.

Generally about 7% are from the ranks. It’s not a drama.
That high? It used to average 15%, their non-grad drive was substantially successful then?

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Yes. General Paul Nanson, RRF. About 6 years ago.
Yep, I remember, just didn't know how successful it was. It was closer to 10% fifteen years ago, so that's quite a change.

You were kicked out of the Army Reserve for medical reasons?
Not wishing the details but wouldn't that hold good for the regulars as well?
Hi mate, thanks for the reply.
Yes the doctor wrote down a completely wrong diagnosis which to be fair he did later correct when the army pointed it out, only thing is it took him like two months to get round to it unfortunately. Anyway, not withstanding, I’ll be aloud back in June whatever happens as it was only a 6 month deferral.

Thanks for all the encouragement firstly guys, I appreciate it!
I do actually have a place at university next year, however I’d much rather join the army instead because I find students the most annoying and immature bastards going. However I’m prepared to suck it up if it’s a ‘probably not’ for Sandhurst.

Hi mate, thanks for the reply.
Yes the doctor wrote down a completely wrong diagnosis which to be fair he did later correct when the army pointed it out, only thing is it took him like two months to get round to it unfortunately. Anyway, not withstanding, I’ll be aloud back in June whatever happens as it was only a 6 month deferral.

Were you "kicked out" of the AR having attested and begun phase 1, or did you simply fail to pass the medical pre-screening? I understand some of the terminology may be unfamiliar to you, but what you've said so far seems strange, people are not "kicked out" and "allowed back" of the AR.

NewbishDelight

Old-Salt
Not having a degree should not be a barrier to passing the AOSB, we had a decent number of non-grads when I was on the staff there, and looked at some of them seriously from a regimental recruiting perspective.

As Brotherton Lad mentioned, Maj Gen Nanson (a non-grad entrant himself, IIRC) was pushing non-grad entry pretty hard and with some success. through the Army Higher Education Pathway (AHEP) you can work toward a degree on the Army (BA for non-grads, MA for grads).

Your larger obstacles are likely to be the medical issue you mention, and that you attempted uni and then dropped out. AOSB will want to know why you dropped out, and whether that indicates a lack of determination.

Go to AOSB, get your result and then make a decision. If they give you an "advance to go" then crack on, and if they say "come back in a few years" go to uni...as Sarastro said.

However, it is also worth thinking about whether you want to be a career soldier, and whether having a degree will be necessary/useful for life after the Army. This is somewhat bought out by the AHEP.

Good luck!

It will be worth having a decent & well thought through rationale for not going for the degree, with positive reasons for the decision. I’d suggest this is even more important having gone then dropped out than if you’d chosen not to start at all.

I’m well out of date on the military side, but do do a fair bit of recruiting now & am sure this comment holds in both spheres. I’ve had some major setbacks in life but am pretty good now at finding positives to them.

Hello everyone,

Appreciate any replies

Hello everyone,

Appreciate any replies!
I went through the AOSB process at 19 and commissioned when I was 20. In my Company we had around 8 non-grads out of roughly 100 OCdts.

I'd say as long as you can prove to the AOSB DS that you have enough 'life experience' and leadership potential then you can easily pass. The Academic tests are quite minimal at AOSB.

Personally the only difficulties I had at RMAS were the academic lessons which were aimed at more of an undergraduate audience but nothing that caused me to pile in.

Definitely apply, the worst that can happen is AOSB say no.

Latest Threads