What are good sources for bulk used computers?

I've been patching up a few of the family laptops and other bits of hardware recently, usually by buying a cheap eBay offering and creating a Frankentop from the various bits.

However, even though I've got reasonable bargains, I note that the relatively low prices some online retailers are selling laptops for means they must be getting sufficient reasonable in fair condition to allow them to dispose of the lesser items and still be in profit. I thought bulk-buying might be a cheaper way to get better IT for my now college/uni-level children by mix-and-matching and then disposing of the remnants to at least get my outgoings back.

I've had a quick gander at a few auction sites, but the bulk buys that I've seen don't seem that attractively priced (certainly often more, in toto, than I'd pay for each on eBay).

So, I was wondering, where do people buy laptops from in bulk so as to make a bit of money off them, and how do they get to know about them?

endure

GCM
They buy them from companies that are upgrading their IT infrastructure. If Fred Bloggs and Co are buying 300 new laptops for their staff they sell them on to the people who refurbish them and sell them on Ebay.

Microsoft also do a Authorised Refurbisher scheme that offers the equivalent of OEM software for refurbed kit.

People like Tier 1 are refurbers.

How good is your knowledge of system specifications and knowing which Operating Systems will meet the specs?

I expect going to an IT auction where offices dispose of their old computers minus the hard drives would be a good start.

There are several ebay sellers that offer multiple machines for sale. These are usually ex-company and reasonably priced -- depending on what you want.

DELL/HP DUAL CORE DESKTOP SFF PC COMPUTER BUNDLE WINDOWS 10,4GB,250GB | eBay

FULL DELL/HP DUAL CORE DESKTOP TOWER PC & TFT COMPUTER SYSTEM WINDOWS 10 & 4GB | eBay

HP Elitebook 840 G1 Laptop Core i5 4300u 16Gb RAM 256Gb SSD Webcam | eBay

Most will offer some discount for multi-purchase.
There are loads around, usually from companies who chuck their hardware after 3 years, or else ex-lease machines that have been wiped and had Win7/10 loaded.

I bought my mum a refurbished (probably from some company's changed-out fleet) HP PC complete with licensed Windows from Aria PC - Computer Hardware, Components, Monitors.. at lowest prices
a few years ago and it is still performing well. Basically one of the best deals I ever bought. It was so good I got a similar refurbished PC in Israel. It cost more than at Aria and didn't last that long but was still a reasonable deal by israeli standards. Those HP business PC's are real workhorses. I knew about them because my own work has them and the IT team told me how relatively few technical/maintenance problems they have.

@dogmeat

IT Spod required.
Always happy to help out a technospastic like yourself, BB.

Go nuts.

Always happy to help out a technospastic like yourself, BB.

Go nuts.
Technospastic?

I'm not that good.

We pay fat Terry for IT stuff.

Thanks for helping out the OP, though.

Why not enquire at your local pikey camp, they might be able to obtain used computers from local businesses on your behalf

How good is your knowledge of system specifications and knowing which Operating Systems will meet the specs?

(I've been playing with "PC"s since the "build your own with a Z80 and 74xx series logic" days. I've got Win 10, Vista and XP PCs lying around, a Linux device, Mojave (macOS 14) on my iMac, 10.13 on my MacBook and 10.11 and 10.7 on a couple of Franensteinian MacBooks (3 Macs => 1 Mac; logic board from here, display from there, etc), plus sundry AVR, ESP32 and ARM boards doing their thing)

I expect going to an IT auction where offices dispose of their old computers minus the hard drives would be a good start.
I guess I'll have to spread my wings a little, or improve my Googlefu. I haven't seen that many such auctions pop up in the Central Belt (John Pye near Edinburgh is the closest I've found to such events)

They buy them from companies that are upgrading their IT infrastructure. If Fred Bloggs and Co are buying 300 new laptops for their staff they sell them on to the people who refurbish them and sell them on Ebay.
Any idea how Fred Bloggs and Co know who to approach or how the resellers find Fred and his ilk?

Microsoft also do a Authorised Refurbisher scheme that offers the equivalent of OEM software for refurbed kit.
I've used a couple of eBay licence providers (< £2 for Win 10 Pro). I don't know how 'legal' they are, but MS seem happy to authenticate the licences.

People like Tier 1 are refurbers.
I've actually bought a couple of laptops from them - just kept a Watchful eye on several until one or two seemed to have slipped past the frenzied hordes and pounced at the right time.

endure

GCM
Any idea how Fred Bloggs and Co know who to approach or how the resellers find Fred and his ilk?
It's pretty much a closed market unless you're buying in bulk as far as I can see. Corporates have their preferred buyers and public bodies put things out to tender.

Just_plain_you

War Hero
Try a raspberry pi 4. More than adequate for most Uni work and cheap as chips.

There are several ebay sellers that offer multiple machines for sale. These are usually ex-company and reasonably priced -- depending on what you want.

DELL/HP DUAL CORE DESKTOP SFF PC COMPUTER BUNDLE WINDOWS 10,4GB,250GB | eBay

FULL DELL/HP DUAL CORE DESKTOP TOWER PC & TFT COMPUTER SYSTEM WINDOWS 10 & 4GB | eBay

HP Elitebook 840 G1 Laptop Core i5 4300u 16Gb RAM 256Gb SSD Webcam | eBay

Most will offer some discount for multi-purchase.
Oy, oy, oy, oy! You want I should pay retail, already? I want to get them for the prices these furshlugginer sellers get them for!

There are loads around, usually from companies who chuck their hardware after 3 years, or else ex-lease machines that have been wiped and had Win7/10 loaded.
So how does one go about identifying these companies? I suppose that is the question.

I a bloke I know used to just steal them from the university when I he worked there.

Latest Threads