Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What am I seeing here?

Added:

Kitchener Bks, Willich - RE base wksp
Not sure of the names of the dropshort barracks off the B1 in Dortmund, but it was a big complex.
Taunton Bks, Celle and Mercury Bks, Birgelen as per @devexwarrior above.
Francisca Bks, St Tönis - 28 Sig Regt and Belgians
US Army pre-positioned materiel parks in Herongen and Straelen. Never did understand why these were in "our" area.
If they flew into the UK and then travelled by rail/truck they'd pick up their kit from there maybe?

US Army pre-positioned materiel parks in Herongen and Straelen. Never did understand why these were in "our" area.
Could be because they were closer to the channel ports that we would be using, although I thought mobilised troops would be flown in.

Last edited:
If they flew into the UK and then travelled by rail/truck they'd pick up their kit from there maybe?

Dunno, seems plausible. There were big materiel parks at Burtonwood and Zutendaal in Belgium, both of which had airfields, at least originally. Makes sense to fly in, pick up your kit and offski. But the two in Herongen and Straelen weren't huge. Suppose you could add Ayrshire South to that too.

Currently looking at Olen in Belgium (directly south of the town), I've found the old main camp, but not sure whether the storage sheds to the west of the camp are/were part of the camp or a separate camp. Staged through there a few times when in the TA a long time ago. Was amazed to see a REME workshop there. Fixed my mate's FFR after he put a piston through the block racing me to Harwich :)

Erm, that's what I've been doing. The 80's images (where available) are quite ropey and it often depends on what altitude you are oberving at as to the visibility of the older images.
Also not helped is that more than a few cold war locations were flattened and built over before the earliest available GE coverage.
It is interesting to see just how many have been left to fall into ruin as well. Mainly these are in the remoter locations and have little or no use as commercial or development locations.
The best one I found today is an old ammo depot that has been converted into a German version of Centre Parcs. TBH, it must take some amount of work to demolish old hardened ammunition storage bunkers so it's no surprise most now just sit there and get overgrown now.
Is it Heide Camp, which was 3 Base Ammunition Depot? Best posting, ever! Google Earth

I did a guard there - loads of food and the local shop did us two free videos a day (I believe the young lady there also provided 'other services' for a price)
We used to use a video shop opposite Catterick Barracks in Bielefeld who did a special rate for site guards renting 'lot's' for a two week period.
Both times I was there I don't think we had a single visitor the entire time and the night sky was amazing!

Is it Heide Camp, which was 3 Base Ammunition Depot? Best posting, ever! Google Earth
No, it's in the US sector and looked to be a large-ish one. I'll post a pic tomorrow of it (before and after).
That is if I can find it again!
3 BAD is a nature reserve now.

No, it's in the US sector and looked to be a large-ish one. I'll post a pic tomorrow of it (before and after).
That is if I can find it again!
3 BAD is a nature reserve now.
Yep, with camping/camper vans on the barracks.
RSMs would have a fit if they saw the state of the parade ground.

Here's the converted depot before:

before.JPG

And after:

after.JPG

You can find it just east of a village called Urlau.

May I suggest some additions to your worthy project.

51° 8'15.42"N 6° 7'35.05"E site of Mercury Barrack, 13 Signal Regiment (Radio). Lots of pics here http://birgelenvets.org/

52°37'9.08"N 10° 5'18.11"E Taunton Barracks, Celle, home to several units, lastly 14 Signal Reg (EW)

52°18'2.48"N 7°59'5.78"E Quebec barracks, Osnabruck

Just to give historical context - Quebec Bks Osnabruck is where the 3 Para Mortars tale originated from 77/78 'ish.

The thing about places like I posted about is, especially 'back then', we didn't talk about them and especially they were never mentioned in publically accessible places, which kind of makes them more interesting.
I bet the Soviets knew all about them though.

One of the most interesting jobs in the Army must have been RE well drillers. Every base/installation had to have an independent water supply and those blokes must have known where all the bodies were buried, (so to speak).

One of the most interesting jobs in the Army must have been RE well drillers. Every base/installation had to have an independent water supply and those blokes must have known where all the bodies were buried, (so to speak).

Its pushing it a bit to describe it as ' one of the most interesting '. I got volunteered to assist drilling boreholes on a couple of occaisions when guys were away on leave and found it usually muddy, noisy and after a couple of hours of same same - tedious.

But ultimately necessary and always carried out professionally and cheerfully - as is the way of our glorious Corps !

Ubique etc.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Bloomin flip!

I downloaded GE for the first time yesterday and after experimenting and looking at places I've lived in the UK, I tried to find the old Hobart Barracks in Detmold, from memory. Not a chance.

Can any of you excellent earth hunters give me the co-ords for it?

Great thread BTW. We'll look after this one.

I have Hobart Barracks pinned in the KMZ, just missing one barracks in Detmold I think.

I bet the Soviets knew all about them though.
Most likely. If they had (and they would have) complete satellite imagery of West Germany then they would have been easy to spot. And not to mention that many were clearly visible from public roads.

I've been looking around to see if anyone has made other cold war location maps and found this very nice one showing soviet air defence sites/locations. It also shows all the various AD zones in Russia. Well worth a look if that's your bag.
I would have hated to try and get anywhere near Moscow in a plane back then!
You can download it from here - Cold War KML

Mr Tweedy

Old-Salt
At the beginning of lockdown I decided to do a little project, namely labelling up cold war sites in the former West Germany. Initially I started to label up all the old BAOR barracks in Germany, then the occasional ammo depot I came across, and then I got carried away and went looking for all the old ammo and special wepons compounds using Google Earth. This was especially handy as many barracks and sites have now been demolished or re used, or have become totally overgrown and left to rot. These are espcially hard to spot as they look just like the surrounding landscape (mainly forests). This week however, I came across this just west of a small village called Pfändhausen:

View attachment 496751

The site on the left is a typical special weapons compound, but the one to the right is what I initially thought to be a static AD site (there are a surpising amount of these!), but then noticed the double fence. I have initially labelled it is a special weapons site, but iof someone can give me an idea of what I'm looking at it would be much appreciated.
Also, given the sheer number of SW sites, am I correct in thinking that we (NATO) also stored chemical weapons in these and not just nukes?
I have attached the Google Earth KMZ in a zip file is anyone would like to see what I've managed so far. Yes, I know there is a lot missing from the BAOR area, but this is primarily due to either barracks being demolished and my not being able to locate them (I'm looking at you here Dortmund and Werl!) and not being too familier with those garrisons, so if you want to help out fill in these blanks it would be very helpful. Any mistakes are purely my own.
In case anyone gets a bit shirty about publishing these, remember, they are freely avaible to view on Google Earth and I'd say 90%+ of these sites are now abandoned.
If you do use GE to view the KMZ you may have to use the date slider in the top right to see the sites as they once were as many are now demolished or re-purposed for civillian use.

I am pretty sure that the image shows what became a training camp in the Schweinfurt training area. Back in 2002 and 2004 I did a course and a number of exercises there in partnership with the US Rangers.

Don't know what it was originally, but by early 2000s was a training camp.

Latest Threads