What am I seeing here?

At the beginning of lockdown I decided to do a little project, namely labelling up cold war sites in the former West Germany. Initially I started to label up all the old BAOR barracks in Germany, then the occasional ammo depot I came across, and then I got carried away and went looking for all the old ammo and special wepons compounds using Google Earth. This was especially handy as many barracks and sites have now been demolished or re used, or have become totally overgrown and left to rot. These are espcially hard to spot as they look just like the surrounding landscape (mainly forests). This week however, I came across this just west of a small village called Pfändhausen:

cold war site.JPG

The site on the left is a typical special weapons compound, but the one to the right is what I initially thought to be a static AD site (there are a surpising amount of these!), but then noticed the double fence. I have initially labelled it is a special weapons site, but iof someone can give me an idea of what I'm looking at it would be much appreciated.
Also, given the sheer number of SW sites, am I correct in thinking that we (NATO) also stored chemical weapons in these and not just nukes?
I have attached the Google Earth KMZ in a zip file is anyone would like to see what I've managed so far. Yes, I know there is a lot missing from the BAOR area, but this is primarily due to either barracks being demolished and my not being able to locate them (I'm looking at you here Dortmund and Werl!) and not being too familier with those garrisons, so if you want to help out fill in these blanks it would be very helpful. Any mistakes are purely my own.
In case anyone gets a bit shirty about publishing these, remember, they are freely avaible to view on Google Earth and I'd say 90%+ of these sites are now abandoned.
If you do use GE to view the KMZ you may have to use the date slider in the top right to see the sites as they once were as many are now demolished or re-purposed for civillian use.

Attachments

anything to do with this place near by?

United States Army Garrison Schweinfurt (USAG Schweinfurt) was a United States Army military community located in and around Schweinfurt, Germany from 1945 to 2014. The garrison comprised two installations (Conn and Ledward Barracks), two housing areas (Askren Manor and Yorktown Village Housing Area), and two local training areas (Brönnhof or Area M) in Pfändhausen, to the north of Schweinfurt as well as Sulzheim (Sulzheim Training Area), 15 minutes to the south of Schweinfurt. Cold War-era installations in Bad Kissingen, Bad Neustadt, Hammelburg, and Oerlenbach were closed prior to the closure of USAG Schweinfurt in the years following German reunification in 1990.[1]

Dead link I'm afraid. I generally find just because something is near somewhere, doesn't mean it's linked. Yes, Schweinfurt was a big garrison for the US, but when it comes to special weapons, I did think these were more of a theatre asset rather than allocated to a particular garrison. For instance, you can still see the SW compound at Sennelager, but it really wasn't anything to do with Paderborn/Sennelager besides the fact 39 Hvy were based there.

I wonder if the right hand compound was a filling station if the one on the left contained CW munitions.
Calling @dingerr for any info he might suggest.

Last edited:
Dead link I'm afraid. I generally find just because soemthing is near somewhere, doesn't mean it's linked. yes, Schweinfurt was a big garrison for the US, but when it comes to special weapons, I did think these were more of a theatre asset rather than allocated to a particular garrison. For instance, you can still see the SW compound at Sennelager, but it really wasn't anything to do with Paderborn/Sennelager besides the fact 39 Hvy were based there.

I wonder if the right hand compound was a filling station if the one on the left contained CW munitions.
Calling @dingerr for any info he might suggest.
My bad, I found that on waybackmachine and obviously just copied the original link.
Try

The thing about places like I posted about is, especially 'back then', we didn't talk about them and especially they were never mentioned in publically accessible places, which kind of makes them more interesting.
I used to love doing the guard duites on those places - couple of weeks of a bullshit free zone.

I used to love doing the guard duites on those places - couple of weeks of a bullshit free zone.
The special weapons compounds, or regular ammo depots?
I was under the impression the nuke guards were very regulated and not fun at all.
I did a couple of site guards at Hagenhausen (just south of Hameln) and yes, it was a nice break, but very tedious once you had watched all the vids twice!

Last edited:
I was under the impression the nuke guards were very regulated and not fun at all.
I did a couple of site gaurds at Hagenhausen (just south of Hameln) and yes, it was a nice break, but very tedious once you had watched all the vids twice!
Oh yeah, just the normal stuff.

Only thing special about the guard duty would have been the mongs doing it...

Just found another, north of Neuwildflecken:

cold war site 2.JPG

O/T, but I love this sort of thing - I'm a saddo who takes pride in being to spot barely recognisable old WWII airfields on Google maps zoomed way out.

Top thread.

I did a couple of site gaurds at Hagenhausen (just south of Hameln) and yes, it was a nice break, but very tedious once you had watched all the vids twice!
I did a guard there - loads of food and the local shop did us two free videos a day (I believe the young lady there also provided 'other services' for a price)

We used to send people to do site guard every so often. I remember one lot going for two weeks, getting dropped off by 4 tonner complete with two weeks worth of compo. all of it the same menu, Chicken in brown.
They were not happy, especially when my mate found out while he was stagging on, I got the job of 'guarding' the site for the officers mess summer function, took 5 minutes to patrol the gardens, over to the BBQ, throw some fresh meat on and once that's cooked and eaten someone else had a 5 minute stroll.

At the beginning of lockdown I decided to do a little project, namely labelling up cold war sites in the former West Germany. Initially I started to label up all the old BAOR barracks in Germany, then the occasional ammo depot I came across, and then I got carried away and went looking for all the old ammo and special wepons compounds using Google Earth. This was especially handy as many barracks and sites have now been demolished or re used, or have become totally overgrown and left to rot. These are espcially hard to spot as they look just like the surrounding landscape (mainly forests). This week however, I came across this just west of a small village called Pfändhausen:

View attachment 496751

The site on the left is a typical special weapons compound, but the one to the right is what I initially thought to be a static AD site (there are a surpising amount of these!), but then noticed the double fence. I have initially labelled it is a special weapons site, but iof someone can give me an idea of what I'm looking at it would be much appreciated.
Also, given the sheer number of SW sites, am I correct in thinking that we (NATO) also stored chemical weapons in these and not just nukes?
I have attached the Google Earth KMZ in a zip file is anyone would like to see what I've managed so far. Yes, I know there is a lot missing from the BAOR area, but this is primarily due to either barracks being demolished and my not being able to locate them (I'm looking at you here Dortmund and Werl!) and not being too familier with those garrisons, so if you want to help out fill in these blanks it would be very helpful. Any mistakes are purely my own.
In case anyone gets a bit shirty about publishing these, remember, they are freely avaible to view on Google Earth and I'd say 90%+ of these sites are now abandoned.
If you do use GE to view the KMZ you may have to use the date slider in the top right to see the sites as they once were as many are now demolished or re-purposed for civillian use.
May I suggest some additions to your worthy project.

51° 8'15.42"N 6° 7'35.05"E site of Mercury Barrack, 13 Signal Regiment (Radio). Lots of pics here http://birgelenvets.org/

52°37'9.08"N 10° 5'18.11"E Taunton Barracks, Celle, home to several units, lastly 14 Signal Reg (EW)

52°18'2.48"N 7°59'5.78"E Quebec barracks, Osnabruck

Last edited:

View attachment 496751

Outstanding effort! I'm pretty sure this is Werl.

I went there just the once, when 1 RS were there and got wankered on Hogmanay with a distant cousin, so I'm not completely sure, but the buildings were post-war concrete huts like many at JHQ. This looks a lot like it.

I was going to say that there's no point zipping a KMZ, it's a zipped KML to begin with, but now I see why - the forum software doesn't allow uploading KMZ or KML directly!

Attachments

NSP

LE

View attachment 496751

If you click on the boxed date in the lower-left corner of the GE window you usually get a slider at top-left that lets you scroll back through any historical imagery (including WWII photorecce stuff in some areas) so you might be able to "strip back the vegetation" in some instances.

If you click on the boxed date in the lower-left corner of the GE window you usually get a slider at top-left that lets you scroll back through any historical imagery (including WWII photorecce stuff in some areas) so you might be able to "strip back the vegetation" in some instances.
Erm, that's what I've been doing. The 80's images (where available) are quite ropey and it often depends on what altitude you are oberving at as to the visibility of the older images.
Also not helped is that more than a few cold war locations were flattened and built over before the earliest available GE coverage.
It is interesting to see just how many have been left to fall into ruin as well. Mainly these are in the remoter locations and have little or no use as commercial or development locations.
The best one I found today is an old ammo depot that has been converted into a German version of Centre Parcs. TBH, it must take some amount of work to demolish old hardened ammunition storage bunkers so it's no surprise most now just sit there and get overgrown now.

Added:

Kitchener Bks, Willich - RE base wksp
Not sure of the names of the dropshort barracks off the B1 in Dortmund, but it was a big complex.
Taunton Bks, Celle and Mercury Bks, Birgelen as per @devexwarrior above.
Francisca Bks, St Tönis - 28 Sig Regt and Belgians
US Army pre-positioned materiel parks in Herongen and Straelen. Never did understand why these were in "our" area.

Attachments

Latest Threads