What age for joining RN?

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by CptDanjou, Sep 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I`m considering steering my daughter towards the RN , she`s still a youngster, what age should she approach recruitment ? are there any bursaries for college / uni ?

2. Wah shield up -> How about 'old enough to realize that a Navy Forum would be a more intelligent place to put this question'?

<- And wah shield back down again.

3. As a senior member you should know the score...several pics showing the subject in various states of undress are needed on any thread discussing women, even if they are related to you

4. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

5. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Encourage her to go into engineering, either as an engineering officer or as an artificer. She'll never be unemployed with the training and skills she'll get from either of those. Anything air or electronics related is best, Marine Engineering is still too much metal bashing and limted saleable skills outside. If she's bright enough to be an engineering offcier the navy will help with tuition for uni, but it's the recruiters will be able to help. Don't be taken in by the "join as a steward and then transfer once you're in" bollocks.

6. Err this is the RN section.

7. She`s pretty smart , 100% fluent in Spanish but quite rebellious , thought the RN maybe the way to go.

Robbo5833 I`ll send the pics of your mum back if you still need them for stimulation ?

8. ........ of an Army site.

9. Ha ha. A former cadet from my det did that, after being rejected by the RAF and the Army. He transferred to the 'AWOL' branch every run ashore, so it must be a great job....

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well personally I thought the 1940s were a great age for the Andrew, big ships and traditions not bad habits. Rum ration and no press gang oh and no girlies on boats. That said google is really your friend. I know they certainly do the engineering bursaries as I taught a sub officer and he was hardly ever at work almost permanently in some sort of school or training establishment.

11. Bouillabaisse- we don't have Tiffs any more- only Engineering Technicians (half as well trained as a tiff, but twice as trained as a mechanic)

CaptDanjou- if she has a tongue for languages then maybe CT as a translator might be a way to go?

In a non-perv way, may I ask how old the sprog of your is? If she has a levels then she will be able to join the BRNC Dartmouth as a middy at the age of 18.

12. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Neither fish nor fowl then. Probably shows how long since I was in. And I change my advice to go for engineering officer, either air or weapons.

If she's not hit 6th form yet you might consider Welbeck.

13. The sprog is a long way off 18 but is well above A level in Spanish , a translator was the area I had in mind as I`d guess there are not so many Brits that have two languages.

14. Ive just had a look at Welbecks site , seems like it would be a good way to go , shame its in Karachi , I mean Leicestershire .